X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Villainstone
    • Mar 2008

New to the scene, have a few questions.

Hello guys I am new to this forum and hope to make a stay here. I am a newcomer and have an entry level sound system in the works. I am in the process of making a subwoofer enclosure and would like to know a few things and get peoples advice.

I already have a design (basic but easy) that will be a good first time build. I have been reading a few things here and there and the more I see the more motivated I become. My design is 3.3ft^3 with all ports, braces, amp, and driver accounted for. I am planning 3/4" MDF with a double baffle, possibly the side as well. The plan is to house a 12" sub and a plate amp to power the sub without a sweat.

Here is where I would like your advice and suggestions guys. I have a plan to use the Dayton RSS315HF-4 12", and the Dayton SA240-B 240W Sub Amp. This was actually suggested on another forum that I am no longer a part of. I have a budget of about 300.00 TOTAL that the wife me to take from own savings for an entire subwoofer DIY enclosure. I would like to know if there is a better choice than these for my budget, which I still have to buy building supplies (glue, nails, wood) with? I figured I would have about 250.00 to spend on an amp and driver. I know that this isn't much, and that is why I am asking what's the best for my money? I do realize that you get what you pay for so I am only expecting 250.00 worth of performance but that should be just fine for my system.

Yamaha RXV-661, and two Polk Audio Monitor 50's I wanted the 60's but they were out of budget . I am still saving up for the center and surrounds, and I am obviously building the sub. Depending how I do on the sub I might just go ahead and build my own surrounds. Thanks a lot guys, being so late, if I left anything out please just ask and I will fill in where I need to.

I forgot to add...my room size is about 15'x18'. Also in WinIsd if I choose to use two ports and it tells me I need 36.16 inches, is that total port length, or length per port?
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

I just built a sub with the same amp and driver for a friends mom. Her and her husband are very happy with it. It's not going to blow anyones mind with it's output, but it has great sound quality and is enough for most mortals.

I have the Unibox file saved at home if you want me to send it to you. You will need Microsoft Excell to view it though.

Comment

• CFC
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Villainstone
      I forgot to add...my room size is about 15'x18'. Also in WinIsd if I choose to use two ports and it tells me I need 36.16 inches, is that total port length, or length per port?
      That's total port length.
      Good luck
      CFC

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by CFC
        That's total port length.
        Good luck
        CFC
        In Unibox, it would be length per port. If for instance, you chose a single 4" port and it told you 16" for a 20hz tune, if you changed it to 2 4" ports, they each would have to be significanly longer to acheive the same tuning.

Comment

• CFC
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
          In Unibox, it would be length per port. If for instance, you chose a single 4" port and it told you 16" for a 20hz tune, if you changed it to 2 4" ports, they each would have to be significanly longer to acheive the same tuning.
          Yes, you are correct. My mistake .. it is per port (which means I'll have to change my own design )

CFC

Comment

• Villainstone
            • Mar 2008

Well if that mean WinIsd is the same way I need two 36" ports :E. Thank you for being kind in your replies as well, The last forum seemed like the replies were posted by guys that think they were better than me. There attitude was less than desirable so I left to come here. Thanks a lot fellas...

Ok so I will keep those choices and changes my port length.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

If you use a flared port to help reduce chuffing, one 4" would probably be enough for the RS 12" and it would let you make the port much shorter.

Comment

• Villainstone
                • Mar 2008

Yeah I will do that then thanks a lot Dennis, CFC, and you too Poorboy. I have one more question before I go back to SketchUp and play with the port design. I plan to use this for movies and for music pretty close to a 50/50 ratio, I was thinking it would be good tuned to about 22hz is that about where it should be at? I was even thinking about 25 but I was really unsure and figured that I should just keep it lower.

Comment

• Villainstone
                  • Mar 2008

Bump

Comment

• Raptor550
                    • May 2007

I have looked at that combo too. I normally see that sub with a 500w amp, I am wondering too how much difference that change would make, is the 500 watts just a bunch of "just in case overhead" or will you be running into a ceiling often?
                    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"