X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ba123
    • Mar 2006

Dayton RSS390HO any good

I am building a subwoofer for split duty music and HT in my house and was looking at the Dayton 390HO. It seems to model very well in a box limited to the size I need and is right where I'd like to be price wise. I know it has limited x-max, but I only have a 300 watt plate amp and don't see upgrading anytime soon until I go much bigger. So this being the case, is the 390HO a good driver with my limitations. I am also looking at the 315HF and like the low distortion and also the new Shiva-X and like the x-max, but realize those are 12's and think the extra displacement would be better. Am I correct in thinking this, or are the other drivers better in regards to quality of output? Thanks.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

These days there are several good drivers to choose from. Choice is dependent on the output level you need and the budget. If you're budget limited and don't need a ton of output the 390 is a very good driver. If you can afford the extra ~$25 the Tempest-X would be the driver of choice since it's output potential is that of 2 RSS390's.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ba123
      • Mar 2006

Thanks Thomas. I really like the idea of a Tempest-X, but because I have only ~ 4 cubic feet and 300 watts on tap I thought it modeled not that great. The Shiva-X models great with my requirements, but I thought maybe the 390HO would push more air - just don't know if it would be as good of a driver in the SQ department?

Budget is ~$200 for a driver and my room is only about 10 X 12 X 9 so output is second to SQ at this pricepoint.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

When buying things I tend to think 'big picture' and 'long-term' when making a purchase. As a result I fail to see the reason for handicapping the system by choosing a driver that only fits the performance of the existing amp.

Using either IE6 or Firefox I can't get your pic to load so I don't know want kind of box is in the sim. If it's a 4 cu ft sealed box all you need is a bit of EQ if room gain doesn't lift the bottom end of the Tempest-X.

Understand I'm not saying the RSS390 is a bad driver. I have a pair in my Isiris prototypes and like them a lot. It's simply that in your situation the Tempest-X is double the driver for ~$20 more.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ba123
          • Mar 2006

Sorry about the pic - maybe the one below will work better.

Anyway, I'll try to run some more models in WinISD with the Tempest-X and see what I can come up with for the smallest possible box that would still perform well - although this usually just leads me back to looking at the higher priced CSS and SoundSplinter drivers again due to there smaller box abilities...

Thanks again.

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

In a reasonable room, the Tempest-X does a good job in 3 cubic feet. Not the last word in extension but very musical. Room gain typically picks up where it starts rolling off. Need more extension? Add a Linkwitz transform.

The Tempest X and a 500W plate amp in a PE ready made box make a nice little sub that will last you through a couple main speaker upgrades for around $700. I helped a friend build this setup.

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

If anyone wants an RS390HO, I've got one sitting around to let go cheap. $100 +shipping, PM if interested. Never got time to build the box, and then decided that I'm happy enough with a 315HF.

I think Thomas and I have completely different concepts of what "a ton of output" is. For me, I think even a single 15 is overkill.
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke
                . For me, I think even a single 15 is overkill.

Heresy! Ban Him!

:P
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

I've used quad RS390HO's in two separate subwoofers and they worked very well. I think for the power you have on hand and the size of your room you will probably be very happy with this driver.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I think Thomas and I have completely different concepts of what "a ton of output" is. For me, I think even a single 15 is overkill.
                    I guess so...... :B

With the availability of high excursion drivers and low cost power amps, my passion for experiencing the visceral effects of low bass is now easy to realize..... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Raptor550
                      • May 2007

If anyone wants an RS390HO, I've got one sitting around to let go cheap. $100 +shipping, PM if interested.
                      Jon, did anyone ever snatch up that rs390? I couldn't pm you.
                      Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

• jkrutke
                        • Dec 2005

Nope, I was just going to dump it on ebay with the next bunch of drivers I need to unload. My PM here is temporarily turned on if you want it.
                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"