How to control the upper peak(s) on the Dayton RS125?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

How to control the upper peak(s) on the Dayton RS125?

Hi!

I'm now building a new speaker, based on dual RS125's and an RS28.

Since the cabinet is so small, I'll need to simplify crossover design, or (gasp!) use electrolytics in every shunt branch.

Considering this... http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-360g.pdf

I have two peaks: one at 7,500 Hz, and the other one at 12,000 Hz (I already took in cabinet measurements.. hopefully, I'll be able to post pics of the cabinets and measurements tomorrow. They did come out nice!).

So far, I've tried two approaches.

1) Second order electrical with a series RLC. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to really get rid of the peaks. Not even if I center the RLC's frequency response between the peaks. Or if I don't use an R at all. It does help, but not as much as I'd expect. Peaks are at -30 dB or so.

2) Fourth order electrical. I get rid of every peak, and FR is nice and smooth. But I then have to invert the tweeter's polarity in order to get the speaker to sum correctly.

I'm using a 1,700 Hz crossover point. In both cases, phase is not an issue (when I invert the tweeter's polarity in example 2, that is!). I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing, though.

Any ideas?
    Javier Huerta
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

Removing the R should really suck out any breakup peak - assuming you have the L and C correct. What values are you using? Not sure with duals but around 8uF and 0.05mH (yes - only 50uH) should be in the range with a single driver...

PS: How did your last speakers turn out? (I can't find your original thread)

Comment

• dawaro
      • Feb 2005

It might be worth your time to take a look at Roman's Microbe MTM design. It does not use the same tweeter you are looking at but you can see what he did to control the peaks.
      I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• mpotoka
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by dawaro
        It might be worth your time to take a look at Roman's Microbe MTM design. It does not use the same tweeter you are looking at but you can see what he did to control the peaks.

Link Broken...

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by fjhuerta
          2) Fourth order electrical. I get rid of every peak, and FR is nice and smooth. But I then have to invert the tweeter's polarity in order to get the speaker to sum correctly.

I'm using a 1,700 Hz crossover point.
          This sounds more than adequate to me. In fact, the RS125 should be up to a higher crossover slope without problem, 4th order.

The next option is a "C-E" style filter to push the breakup down even more.
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

On the Microbe TM design Roman uses a single series inductor with a notch filter on the RS125.

Comment

• dlneubec
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

FYI, here is Roman's Microbe SE design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Microbe SE.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	849891
              Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:10 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
              Dan N.

Comment

• Undefinition
                • Dec 2006

I followed Roman's lead and tried a series LCR in parallel with the driver. I forget the values, but that in conjunction with a 2nd order electrical brought things up to a nice pretty 3BW slope around 3K. The peak(s) was 30-40 dB down. I'll see if I can dig up the XO values later on.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Thanks!

My last speakers turned out really great. The Neo drivers are really hard to work with, but pairing the 8 and 3 brought great results. Now I have something resembling flat frequency response

I'll attach the graphics so that what I'm saying makes some sense. 6th order accoustical sounds like the best option right now.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

Here's the fourth order design. As much as I tried to optimize the LCR values, this is what I got. At -40 dB, I may not have many issues with the break-up point, although I'll try to move the crossover point up to 2KHz. Purple trace is the 4th order x-over; green trace is the 6th order crossover, included for comparison.

Name:	FourthOrder.gif
Views:	1154
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	849897

Name:	FourthOrder2.gif
Views:	1024
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	849898
                    Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:11 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

Here's the 6th order crossover. No break-up nodes to be seen. Total number of components is the same. I also have to add - the inductor's R is accounted for in this model. I'd also like to use a 2 KHz x-over frequency on this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sixthOrder.gif Views:	934 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	849899

Name:	sixthOrder2.gif
Views:	978
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	849900
                      Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:11 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

I just noticed one thing... the reverse null is -17 dB on the 4th order, -10 dB on the 6th order.

Apparently, 4th order is looking a bit better. I just wonder if I did the LCR right.
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

How does it look off axis?
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• max_andrews
                            • Jan 2008

Try using an lpad on the tweeter instead of a single resistor, this will yield a more uniform attenuation, and may improve your phase alignment.
                            If not, try using a third order electrical on the woofer (remove the last capacitor). You'll need to change the values of the smaller inductor and the remaining capacitor, but this will relax the slope on the woofer a bit and should improve your phase alignment. You may need to reverse the tweeter polarity in this case.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2006

How about a -40 dB null? It seems 1.8 KHz 4th order L-R may be my best choice.

Name:	FourthOrder18.gif
Views:	991
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	849902

Name:	Fourthorder182.gif
Views:	985
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	849903

Also, here's the response at 15° off axis (using measurements, not the LSPCad prediction). Since I know the RS-28 is quite a polite tweeter, I aimed for a flat FR at this point.

Name:	OffAxis.gif
Views:	927
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	849904
                              Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

OK, at this point, I think I can start thinking about building a crossover. I fine tuned by hand the crossover design, and arrived at a combination that yields practically flat response at 15°.

I'm still curious - how do you control a dual-peak woofer, like the RS-125? Even after doing an LC circuit, I couldn't get rid of all the nasties. Do you have to use dual LC circuits? I think that's a bit overkill....

Name:	FlatFR.gif
Views:	1024
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	849906
                                Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• mmoeller
                                  • May 2006

I'm not a speaker expert, but I would assume that you would need two separate notch(LC) filters tuned to the right freq. I think I've seen Jon Marsh do that on some designs. Lot's of components.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                    • Jan 2005

Your 4th order solution looks fine. I wouldn't choose a network based on the reverse null.

You can build one wide band notch to attenuate the entire region rather than two single notches. If you have it 40db down I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"