X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • max_andrews
    • Jan 2008

The PA130 MTM - 102dB with 8 watts, under $90/pair

Bored at work, fun! Would be great paired with a sonic impact t-amp. I might offer these up as a kit if I have the time...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2212294069_be513588b7_o.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	952879
    Last edited by theSven; 28 April 2024, 11:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Xander
    • Dec 2007

looks fun, what are the box dimensions?

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

That minimum phase modeling? Does it include box response or something? Something in the data looks weird.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Gir
        • Dec 2006

Looks good! Are these simulated or actual measurements? They've got some good low end extension for smaller speakers. Is it ported?
        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Xander
          looks fun, what are the box dimensions?
          They're on the drawing.
          Originally posted by Gir
          Looks good! Are these simulated or actual measurements?
          They're sims or as we prefer to call them vaporware...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• max_andrews
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Gir
            Looks good! Are these simulated or actual measurements? They've got some good low end extension for smaller speakers. Is it ported?
            As Tom mentioned, these are simulated from PE's data. I'll be building them soon and I think one guy on the PE board happedne to have the parts already so he was going to give them a shot this weekend. They are indeed ported, 2" diameter by 6.5" long. If you make the box 12" deep you can get a bit more extension with a 2.5"x 6" vent.

The use an EBS style rolloff, so the F3 is high but the extension is decent.

Comment

• max_andrews
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjd
              That minimum phase modeling? Does it include box response or something? Something in the data looks weird.
              It's what FRD extracted after I merged the box response, could that be what you're seeing?

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Did you extract miminum phase and properly set z-axis offset? If you didn't do the phase step you're going to get very different results in reality.

C

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

I agree with CJD, the phase doesn't look right and you are getting a dip at 5kish as the result. Don't let that discourage you though. This is design that looks like it has a lot of budget appeal.

Comment

• max_andrews
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                    Did you extract miminum phase and properly set z-axis offset? If you didn't do the phase step you're going to get very different results in reality.
                    Minimum phase was extracted after the last step for each driver, after baffle modeling, bass modeling, etc. Acoustic offset is set at 1" for the tweeter. I think the 5khz phase issue is due to the woofer's breakup at that point, but a notch might be rather pointless because the effects are so small and will completely disappear just a few degrees off axis, and given the budget another $7 worth of inductors would drive me nuts I'll do a bit more modeling tomorrow and see if a notch can be done on the cheap. Is that the only place where the phase looks funky?

Comment

• max_andrews
                      • Jan 2008

updated crossover

Thanks for the advice everyone! The problem was solved by very slightly lowering the xo point for the tweeter (to about 3050 from 3200), as well as adding a .025mh inductor (tiny!) in series with the shunt capacitor in the woofer's circuit. This significantly attenuates the breakup node and improves phase. +/- 2.5dB from 100hz-20khz, not bad IMO

In terms of added cost, if you use NPE caps for everything (the last one used a dayton 5% poly for the first tweeter cap), it should be exactly the same at about $95/pair including terminal cups, drivers, XO parts, and port tubes.

Image not available
                      Last edited by theSven; 28 April 2024, 11:03 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Thanks max. It's hard to tell and it looked like it may have been a standard glitch in SW from files without phase data, or with PE's phase data. So I asked to be sure.

C

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"