Looking for a cheaper router with dust collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonP
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Concillian
    $328 when the regular Amazon.com item is out of stock:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
    Awwww... you guys are making my 618 feel bad... :

$328?? That sounds high. Was that the triple base one, or just the plunge/fixed setup? There's a D-ring handle thing as the third base you can get as a package...

Wierd... just looked and saw that price on the two base package, and then $270 for the 3 base one??? What's up with Amazon? Searching out of Google found the two base package at $230 and $260...

I paid well under $250 for the plunge/fixed, on a sale price.

I'd say it gets 60-80% of the total dust when plunging... yeah, not perfect but it helps. It's nicer to have the smaller base when doing roundovering, edge trimming, etc.. and you are going to miss a lot of that dust even with the collection base anyway. I'm not sure if you can take the motor out of a 621 to put in a router table, if you ever got one, like you can with the 618.

That $30'ish dollar edge guide/dust collector looks like a good idea. Collecting from the bottom will help catch the non plunge operations dust that dosen't get normally dealt with.

Just a contrary opinion... I know I've gotten used to mine, and I know a 621 has MUCH better collection... but maybe you're better off than you think, for $100... (or $130) It would save you money for bits...

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

I see Amazon has the DW621 in stock for $199 shipped so I may jump on that one tonight. Before I order I was wondering if you guys think the $235 kit is worth it that comes with the vacuum edge guide and carrying case? For some reason I thought the DW621 came with an edge guide but I could be wrong, or does this more expensive kit just come with a better one?

DW621:

DW621 + edge guide + case:

Edge guide info:

One other thing. Up until now, building speakers, I've never seen the need for an edge guide as I do all my cutting on my Ryobi BT3100 table saw. Am I missing something not having one?

Thanks!

Comment

• technimac
        • Feb 2005

Lemme see.....
        Router alone: $199
        Edge guide: $33
        Router, Edge Guide & Carrying Case: $236
        Is the carrying case worth $4 to you?
        That's the bottom line here.
        Good luck with your decision...either way, you're a winner with the DW621 :T

BTW, the 618 isn't a piece of shit, I've built a lot of stuff with it (both plunge and fixed base iterations) and it's still going strong, but the 621 is a better choice primarily because of it's beefiness and superior dust collection capabilities.
        Cheers, Bruce
        "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"