Looking for a cheaper router with dust collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Looking for a cheaper router with dust collection?

I'm thinking about getting the Hitatchi KM12VC kit that has a plunge base and fixed. My only problem is it has no form of dust collection at all. So I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a pretty nice plunge base router with dust collectionf or <160? I'd like something I can just hook up to a shop vac for the most part.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Look for a refurbished DeWalt 621

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

I have the Dewalt 618 fixed/plunge set. The dust collection isn't as good as the 621, but it works pretty good. The only problem I have is trying to route circles with a shop vac attached. It's a pain in the arse!

What I do now is set up my table right next to my garage door and put my big fan on another table right in front of me, and it blows everything right out the door. The neighbors haven't said anything yet. 8O

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Would you happen to know where to get a refurbished one? I've checked Amazon, Froogle...even ebay not seeing any refurbished a couple used ones and new one for about 210.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

They're not always available. Check the Tool King website that's where I bought one but it was years ago.

I have both a 621 and 618, there's no comparison, the 621 dust collection is significantly better...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Don't kid yourself. Anyone that's ever used the 621 (like me) knows that the 618 sucks (or doesn't, actually).

GET A 621!!!

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah they have the DW621K on the ToolKing site but out of stock. Maybe I'll just pick up a new one.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Thomas do you think the Edge Guide with dust collector is worth getting? If so I can pick up the kit.

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Dougie,

what are you using for a work table? I didn't know if a simple dust hood clamped to the side would work just as good if not better for you, or a possible downdraft table? Either can be done easily.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Just using a workmate in an empty room most likely. Going to cover the floor with plastic and route everything there. Why I was looking for something with a nice dust collector. It's getting cold and raining all the time up here they are talking about snow in a week or 2 so going to be doing this in doors for sure.

Comment

• robfive
                      • Dec 2005

I know it's no Hitachi or Dewalt and that others may dismiss it as lesser quality, BUT I really like my Black&Decker (Firestorm) FS1200RP. http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=14874

It has decent dust collection, a 12 amp motor, and accepts both 1/4" and 1/2" router bits. It also has soft start and variable speed control. If your budget was <$80 I would highly recomend getting one but at $160 you should be able to find a better unit.

Good luck.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah looks like I'm going to be spending 200 on the DeWalt as I've heard before that it has one of the best dust collection system.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

The 621 has the best dust collection of any router I've ever used. That said if you're running an edge or plowing out a dado there will be dust that's not sucked up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Ok I went ahead and ordered a new DW621 I found one for 203 with free shipping and from an authorized dealer at that.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                              Ok I went ahead and ordered a new DW621 I found one for 203 with free shipping and from an authorized dealer at that.
                              That's probably the best deal you'll find anywhere... :T

If you're forced to route indoors, (I only do that if there's absolutely no other option) think about using one of these collectors in addition to the 621's built in collection system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Alright. It's mostly going to be cutting holes and the room is an empty room with plastic covering the floor. So its not a huge deal if there is some dust. Just want it to be manageable enough to vacume up afterwards.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2002

Block the bottom of the door with a towel. Your SO will thank you. MDF dust is really nasty and goes everywhere.

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                    • Mar 2006

You will need an adapter to reduce the diameter of your shop hose to match the 621's output hose. The 621 has a swivel at the top and is very friendly in allowing you to move the shop hose around when routing....wear a mask.

Ray
                                    Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Will deffinately wear a mask and goggles of course.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                        • Sep 2005

I would highly suggest getting a regular particulate respirator with the replaceable cartriges, not a paper dust mask, those are next to usless. Maybe this is what you were talking about, but I just wanted to make sure, they're about $25 at Home Depot or Lowes. Also, if the room you are working in has forced air heating, shut or better yet cover the vents while you are working in there and don't open them again until after you have cleaned everything up. If you don't that dust will get sucked into the HVAC system and your whole house will get covered in dust, or so I have heard.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

It's actually a vacant apartment thats used for storage and what not. And I was planning on picking up a respirator not the cheap masks.

Comment

• seeker
                                            • Mar 2007

Or . . . you could try a Milwaukee Model 5625-20 (3-1/2 Max HP) Fixed-Base Production Router, and wear a good mask like Brian suggested (I use a North respirator), and if you don't want to bother your Harley neighbors like I do and have to work in closed workshop, just let the dust accumulate for a couple months, and then blow it out with something like my trusty old Tornado blower---on a breezy day, of course.
                                            Steve

Comment

• fvoelling
                                              • Jul 2004

Don't know about the effectiveness of its dust collection mechanism, but Freud is supposedly clearing excess inventory on their FT2200E Variable Speed 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router. It's selling between $120-$130.

Woodcraft stores sell it for $129.99 (call first to check availability), Hartville Tool (no experience with the company, somebody else referenced them) is $125 incl. shipping:

HartvilleTool.com is now HartvilleHardware.com! Same company, same service, same brands, but much bigger selection

Does anybody here have this particular router (or its similar model FT2000E)? I already have a nice Bosch 2-1/4 HP router, but at this price I may just have to buy the Freud for dedicated router table use. Somebody here (Jon?) I think said that you cannot have too many routers!

BTW, not that it fits the OP's objective of a cheaper router, but Festool makes some of the best tools period, and their dust collection capabilities are phenomenal (I own several of their tools, though the router is still on my wish list). Again, not inexpensive by any means, but I consider good tools to be an investment.

Frank

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

I've not nor do I know anyone who's used Freud tools, but I don't recall ever reading anything negative about them.

That's a great price if one want's a big router and doesn't need dust collection... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2001

Sears also has a Craftsman model plunge router with digital depth adjustment and dust collection. IIRC, it runs around $160. I've been tempted to try it since I can pick it up locally. I think the main thing that makes me hesitate is that if the dust collection doesn't work well I'll be pissed and then will have to fool around with returning it.

I used to use the DW621 indoors all the time and it did a phenominal job as long as the vacuum system wasn't full!

Comment

• crazybastard
                                                    • Oct 2007

Hitachi router on sale at amazon:
                                                    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B0002ZZWX8/ref=sr_1_15/105-4117963-7740405?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1193448447&sr=1-15
                                                    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12V2-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B000GKC28W/ref=sr_1_9/105-4117963-7740405?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1193448447&sr=1-9

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah no dust collection though.

The place I ordered the DeWalt from has them on backorder now so I'm waiting for my money to be refunded and my order to be cancled. I'll just get it somewhere else.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Well I'm not going to be routing inside anymore going to do it at a friends house. I'm looking at circle guides and I know the jasper jig is popular but I was looking for something more sturdy and long lasting other then the plastic one.

Does this look decent? Or are there any others you guys can recommend?

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                          • Nov 2004

Well I'm not going to be routing inside anymore going to do it at a friends house. I'm looking at circle guides and I know the jasper jig is popular but I was looking for something more sturdy and long lasting other then the plastic one.

I'm not a great woodworking by any means but that circle guide doesn't look like it would be nearly as accurate as a Jasper jig. Also, you talk about being sturdy and long lasting. I couldn't imagine my Jasper jigs "going bad" and really like how easy they are to use and how accurate they are. They're made out of a pretty stiff plexiglass (I think) and after using them a dozen times still look like they're brand new.

Comment

• Jed
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2005

That thing looks like it is optimized for large circles. The jasper jig works perfect and is very accurate.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Ok well I'll probably just order a jasper jig then.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Infinitely adjustable jigs will do more than the Jasper. But for speaker building nothing is faster or more exact for repeated cuts than the midsized Jasper.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonP
                                                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                  Block the bottom of the door with a towel. Your SO will thank you. MDF dust is really nasty and goes everywhere.
                                                                  A few things I wanted to add on this... A mask is really a must. I've been getting by with the higher quality (NIOSH 95 rated) 3M face masks. Unlike most paper masks, they actually filter down to a few microns. I do my routering outside, most of the time, too... Eye protection of some kind. I uses a clear full face mask, goggles would do. When doing a roundover or other operation that isn't getting the full suckage (and I have the Dewalt 618) you can actually get blinded by the blizzard of dust... not so good with a running power tool in your hands!

Probably a good idea to pay more for the "better" shop vac bags... I can get ones supposedly good to 1 micron for my Sears vac. Good to not have the finer, more hazardous particles passing thru the vac and blowing all over.

Something else that might help to reduce the cleanup. I've found that a standard window fan and a 20"x20" furnace filter can do wonders. Just turn it on, and the suction holds it to the fan, no tape required! When it gets dirty, go over it with the shop vac, it will last quite a while. I use it a lot when I'm sanding... sit in front of it, most of the dust goes into the filter. Leaving it on for several hours should get a lot of the floating dust, too. Probably better to go higher quality for finer filtering, but since I'm outside or open garage, I get the cheaper ones.

Hope that helps...

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonP

Something else that might help to reduce the cleanup. I've found that a standard window fan and a 20"x20" furnace filter can do wonders. Just turn it on, and the suction holds it to the fan, no tape required! When it gets dirty, go over it with the shop vac, it will last quite a while. I use it a lot when I'm sanding... sit in front of it, most of the dust goes into the filter. Leaving it on for several hours should get a lot of the floating dust, too. Probably better to go higher quality for finer filtering, but since I'm outside or open garage, I get the cheaper ones.
                                                                    Fantastic idea! I'm going to have to give this one a shot. Thanks! :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm taking the enclosures over to my friends and we're doing them completely outside. Going to be a bit cold but oh well we'll suck it up.

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2006

You better finish before it starts snowing here Dougie! haha
                                                                        BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16073

Yeah trying. I think next weekend I'll be finishing up the cabinets. All the rest of the stuff is on its way now. Router will be here tomorrow. I can't think of anything else I need to order other then finishing materials but that can wait.

Comment

• JonP
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 692

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                                                                            Fantastic idea! I'm going to have to give this one a shot. Thanks! :T
                                                                            I wish I could remember where I read that... some woodworking site, or maybe one of the speaker forums. It's been a very handy thing, in my neophyte woodworker journey. Kind of the poor man's overhead room air collector, substitute dust collection system for small jobs, etc...

I even used it in my spraying "alley" (cardboard sidewalls, painting paper floor, fan and filter at the other end) for the can spraying and innumerable coats of HVLP shellac on my current project. Did help to catch the majority of the overspray. That really used up filters fast though, and it won't vac clean like the dust... probably want to stick with the $5 ones there!

Comment

• seeker
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 20

#39
                                                                              For someone who really knows his stuff on dust collection, check out Bill Pentz' site:

His Docs Orders pages tells about medical risks as well as what woodworkers can do about them:
                                                                              Last edited by seeker; 31 October 2007, 08:43 Wednesday. Reason: emphasis
                                                                              Steve

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 422

#40
                                                                                Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I remember reading it and my post pertains to it.

I just snagged a brand new DeWalt 618 fixed/plunge kit for $100 brand new off Craigslist. It sells for $328 on Amazon:

I have no idea why he sold it to me so cheap but it's brand new! What I'm wondering is if I should ebay this guy and put that money towards the 621 model with the better dust collection? I'm currently using the Ryobi RE180PL plunge model that Home Depot sells for $99 and it does a great job but I'm looking for one that will do dust collection. I'm not sure if having a separate fixed base router is worth it so the DW621 is looking mightly tempting. This will be used out in my garage and also outside so collection doesn't have to be 100% but close wouldn't hurt! :B

Thanks.

Comment

• Concillian
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2007
                                                                                  • 15

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Mazeroth
                                                                                  I just snagged a brand new DeWalt 618 fixed/plunge kit for $100 brand new off Craigslist. It sells for $328 on Amazon:
                                                                                  $328 when the regular Amazon.com item is out of stock:

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2001
                                                                                    • 1389

#42
                                                                                    Get the 621. The 618 is a POS, IMHO.

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2002
                                                                                      • 1345

#43
                                                                                      Brian and Thomas are correct: DW621.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 422

#44
                                                                                        The DW621 it is. I'll sell this puppy and hopefully turn a $75-$100 profit which will put the DW621 within my reach.

Thanks.

Comment

• niget2002
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2007
                                                                                          • 31

#45
                                                                                          The idea about the heater filter in front of the fan is a great one...

I used to do this with an opened-up box as a spray booth when spraying model cars.

I'll need to remember it and try it the next time I do some wood working.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"