X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Can someone remind me of which designs used the RS52? I just don't remember it.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dennis Murphy
      Wish I could have heard the mini statements in a different environment. I'm puzzled by the bass issue. Bass response below 100 hz is omnidirectional, so I'm not sure why the stage floor whould have acted any more like a sounding board for the mini's than they did for the other speakers. Anyhow, the bottom line for me was--I gotta try one of those omnidirectional midrange doo dads. I loved the Hoss. And also the open-back mid thing. Loved the Statements.
      Hi Dennis,

The Mini's bass response in the theater completely baffles me. I set them up at home in the living room and they sound wonderful. Not a bass boom to be heard. I don't get it.

In the real world, the Mini's sound like the Statements in the mids and highs and have nearly as deep of bass but without the tactile sensation that larger drivers provide. You hear it but you don't feel the bass with the Mini's vs. the Statements.

BTW, I really appreciate your comments about the Statements. I hold your opinion in very high regard. Open back mids have a very seductive quality to them. I like them! I hope to see you at the Iowa event again before too many years pass. :T

BTW, I caught you in the act yesterday.

Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        Can someone remind me of which designs used the RS52? I just don't remember it.
        Hi Ryan,

It was Pete Schumakers design. He tore them apart after getting kinky measurements only to find out that there was a bad cable on the measurement setup. Here's a picture I snapped.

Jim
        Attached Files

Comment

• Brian Walter
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Daveis
          Too bad there's no class for actively crossed over and amplified! I might get to bring something some year.
          While there isn't any separate class for actively crossed speakers, it is my understanding that they are automatically put into the unlimited class. Although I was thinking there had been one with an active sub that was in the midrange class. It might have been one of Wolf's many designs, it's hard to keep that many speakers straight.

Brian Walter

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Hi Ryan,

It was Pete Schumakers design. He tore them apart after getting kinky measurements only to find out that there was a bad cable on the measurement setup. Here's a picture I snapped.

Jim

Ahhh, yes. He went right after me. I think my attention wasn't nearly what I wanted to to be at that point.

I felt really bad for Pete. He tried to get his measurements right after me. Mine were fine. I was one of the people standing right there saying something must have come loose. I don't know how that mic cable could have come loose.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dlneubec
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Here's my take on the Iowa DIY:

Great venue, event and time. I will be back next year.

In the unlimited class, not considering my own entry, Paul K's CanTiLena's were my favorites, followed by the Statements. The Khans were close to the Statements, but to me, the Statements bettered them in bass extension and soundstage, while the Khans may have been a tad bit smoother. FWIW, I did not hear any clear winner in the comparison of the RS150 or the TB W-1337 as midrange drivers on those two speakers. Wolf's Scandivifias were also very good, but I think suffered from being placed just a few inches above the stage.

The Modula MT's were the winner in the budget class to my ears, though there were a couple others that were quite close.

I knew immeditaely when my audition started that the volume on the plate amps were too high and I wanted so much to run down there and drop it a bit. My take on the bass woes mentioned is that perhaps the room just did not have the destructive cancellations that you have in small rooms. I know my bass volume was set the same as in my 15'x20' room, but the bass was significantly higher in the theatre. Not something I would have anticipated to say the least. The RSS265 is about 7"-8" above the floor and the Mini Statements had a bottom firing port, so perhaps it had something to do with the floor loading of these two desings that caused and increase in bass output. Paul's Scanspeak woofer sounded the best, but it was also 30" or so above the floor.

I find it hard to compare my own speakers to others, at least objectively, but I will take these comments away as fuel to keep the fires burning:

Dennis Murphy said on the PE forum (he aslso told me this after the show) "Most open, neutral, and detail mids and highs: Dan Neubecker's Hoss omni. The woofer plate amp was set too high--otherwise it would have been my favorite musical experience of the day."

Curt Campbell told me that the only thing I could do to make the HOSS better was to use higher end drivers, that I had gotten everything I could get out of the RS drivers.

Finally, There was also the guy who had the nice little open baffle MT’s who told me afterward that the HOSS, particularly on the last song selection I played, were the only ones of the day that sounded like a “live” performance to him, which is what I think we all hope to achieve.
              Dan N.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well I know this much, the Hoss's are beautiful.

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  Well I know this much, the Hoss's are beautiful.
                  Thanks Dougie085,

I had one older gentlemen, who was there with his wife (sat in the same row as me), tell me that put the HOSS in a boutique audio shop in California and they could go for over $20,000. I was shocked, but he was apparently serious, because another attendee (Pete Schumacher)said he told him the same thing.
                  Dan N.

Comment

• Jake Parsons
                    • Oct 2007

Iowa Event

First, I absolutely must thank Doug again for running a great event . I will try to remember names and projects as well as possible but I am sure I will butcher some names and leave out some projects that deserve recognition. Also note that I was running behind and missed the super budget class. Please note I didn't hear a single design I wouldn't proudly have in my listening room. They were all good!

I liked the Modula MT

I liked the 3 two-ways that Scott S? from the quad cities brought and I like the Seas/Extremis the best of the three. I haven't heard many comments on this speaker but I thought it had a huge soundstage presence in a small package.

I am confident that the bass on Jim's mini-statements was boomy because they are bottom-ported and they were interacting with the hollow stage they were sitting on. I know Jim very well and believe me, if those issues truly existed, he would have worked indefatigably to rectify them prior to the event. I am sure that is a solid speaker.

I liked both the Khanspires and Todd's Statements- I thought they were very similar with the only difference being the Statements went a little lower since they were ported.

I liked the Hoss omnidirectional speakers. They were clearly the best looking speaker there. They sounded great too. Designs like this make every DIY worthwhile.

Wolfs Scandivifia's convinced me that even if I have to cut down to two light meals a day and wear crappy clothes to save money, I have to get my hands on some 5.5 Scan revelators. If you closed your eyes, there is no way you would have thought that bass was coming from a 5 inch woofer. Great bass in a small package and there was good balance with the Vifa XT tweeter.

The round top three ways of Paul K with the 8" Scan, Morel MDM 55 and Fountek were also good but I didn't listen as well as I should have because they went right before mine and I was distracted.

John Pastuk's (aliens?)- I really liked these and again, just like the omnidirectionals, these things are designs that make the DIY events well worth it. They also make me realize I need to keep working on my craftmanship!

Jake
                    Last edited by Jake Parsons; 29 October 2007, 18:17 Monday.

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Jake,

Were those late MTM's yours? The ones with nearly a grand in the drivers alone? I forgot about those (I was pretty much fried by then, though I did fill out a review). They were really excellent and along with Wolf's Scans, had the most to offer in a small package.
                      Dan N.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Would love to do some Omni's like yours but I don't think I have that kind of talent as far as craftsmanship or technicle know how.

Comment

• dlneubec
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Hey Dougie,

You might surprise yourself. I just started inthis hobby 2 years ago and have absolutely no EE training or background. You just have to jump in feet first and try. I do have a lot if years of woodworking experience, so that part is a bit easier for me.

The biggest step forward for me was to get measuring capability and learn how to use it and the modelling software (SoundEasy in my case). That really helped me to undesrtand what was going on with omni's.
                          Dan N.

Comment

• Jake Parsons
                            • Oct 2007

Dan N.

Yes the late Seas excel MTM's were mine and I think everybody was fried by then. I think they took the stage at 6:15.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I'm worried more about your beautiful woodworking skills rather then my ability to manipulate electronics

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"