X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilverJS
    • Mar 2006

Calling Nat P Tower Builders

My Nat P's are currently in sealed enclosures modeled on the .75 cubic foot PE enclosures, but I'm thinking of putting them in towers. I understand about 50 liters net, as the archive thread mentions, is ideal, and with a 3" port; I've got a 3" flared port kit on the way from PE. So :

1. The thread mentions 11" long of a port with a non-flared port. How long should I make mine?

2. Am I correct in my understanding that placing the port at the bottom, front or back makes no real difference?

3. The discussion surrounding the tweeter's height in the Statements thread has sort of put the bug in my ear...what should I aim to be at ear-level with the tower Nat P's, then? Tweeter or top woofer?

Cheers!

JSB
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Color me confused, you have this setup.

Given the standard port tuning (around 30Hz), there's nothing gained by converting to a minitower since you're running subs.

Usually tweeters are approx ear level, some people prefer slightly above or below depending on the seating position and the relationship between the mains and the center.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:16 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SilverJS
      • Mar 2006

Correct, that is my setup. However, I am actually not that happy about how I built the enclosure and want to revisit them. I would also like the option of simply going full-range, no sub for some music styles. Plus I would prefer the look of towers.

Would I lose midrange by going to towers?

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

FWIW, I built a tower Nat P for a friend as an ML-TL using Martin King's spreadsheets. IIRC, internal dimensions were the same or very close to the PE cabinets, just 46" tall. Rear port near the bottom, 3" ID x 6" long. That gets response down into the low 30s with some room gain. Sounds nice, although somewhat restricted in how loud it can get due to displacement of the RS180s.

Personally, if you like the sound better without your subs, I'd work on integrating/improving your subs. My friend went this way just to delay needing a sub. Even though theoretically you don't have much below 40 Hz in popular music (everyone seems to forget about 5 string basses...) I find the sound much more satisfying with a full range system.

You can always build the tower with a partition where it the current bottom is and keep everything the same.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"