Help with Modula MTM X-over(Long rambling)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Valk Rider
    • Aug 2007

Help with Modula MTM X-over(Long rambling)

Greetings all,

I am currently in the process of building a set of Jon's Modula MTM speakers, and as a crossover building newbie I am a bit lost. The pictures in the build thread clearly show the low and partial high pass boards, but the pic of the zoebel board is obscured by the cabinet. If anyone has a better picture, or a line drawing---(Unfortunatly I am having difficulty understanding the schmatic). Any wiring diagram would also be helpful.
    I have attached pictures of my high and low pass boards for critique, but as you can see I am totally stuck on the layout and wiring on the last. The only changes I made to the original design were to use a 15 uf Clarity Cap SA for C 5 instead of Jons bundle. Also L5 is a 15 guage Perfect Lay instead of the 20ga. shown in the plans. (PE was out on their tent sale day)(hopefully the larger is better approach will work here with no ill effects). C6 is built from a Solen, an Audiocap Theta, and a Kimber cap. I would also like to know how critical C9 is to the overall picture, as I have a Solen, but I could easily upgrade it.
    A woodworker friend did a fantastic job on the cabinet cutouts.
    I want to get these done soon, as I already have the cabinet, RS 52, D26CN, to start the Neo center channel. I am just waiting for Jon's final opinion as to any differences between the Hi-Vi and RS-180 versions sound quality when finished.
    Associated equipment will be a Parasound Pre-Pro and 5 channel amp.

When they are finished and broken in, I will take them to an Audiophile friends home and try them on his dream system that has a 10k + Linn turntable, and 50K Wavac amps. Will be interesting to see how they hold up against his Opera and Odian speakers. I also hope the 4 ohm taps on the Wavacs are friendly with the Modula's impedence.

Any help for a total x-over newbie would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Valk Rider; 12 September 2007, 23:38 Wednesday. Reason: fix typo's
    Jon & Thomas should be on all our Xmas lists for the expertise they provide ;x( ;x( ;x(
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Your pictures are too small to see if they're wired correctly.

I haven't built these so this is how you figure it out.

Generically the all parts of a zobel are wired in series. The zobel itself is then placed in parallel with the driver.

What are the part numbers and values of the components do you have for the zobel?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Since you seem to be using very high quality components, you might want to check out this site that has some advice on placing inductors in the same plane very close to each other.

Chuck

Comment

• Valk Rider
        • Aug 2007

Chas, I have seen the inductor placement page and agree, but I am trying to exactly copy Jon's layout for the x-ovr in his final version using the TDFC tweeter--I guess I forgot to mention that, I know that question was addressed by Jon some where in the build thread.
        Thomas --thank you for your help and patience--the components for the last board are as follows:

R-6 4.0 ohm
        R-2 3.0 ohm
        R-3 8.0 ohm
        R-4 10.0 ohm
        R-5 8.0 ohm
        C-8 68.00 uF
        C-9 3.00 uF
        L-5 1.500mH

All resistors are Mills, Caps are Solen, and the Inductor is a 15 guage perfect lay. Jon called for a 20 guage inductor, but PE was out. Again, if anyone feels it worthwile to upgrade C9 to something better (Audiocap Theta, Sonicap, or ClarityCap then let me know.

Thank You,

Frank
        Last edited by Valk Rider; 13 September 2007, 19:57 Thursday. Reason: Left out R-5
        Jon & Thomas should be on all our Xmas lists for the expertise they provide ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Given the parts you have left this is what you build, it's the zobel, the attenuation network, and some misc parts (some might call a notch filter.... )

BTW, where on your boards is R5?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ThomasW; 13 September 2007, 19:37 Thursday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Valk Rider
            • Aug 2007

Thanks, left R-5 off list by mistake

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"