X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zzzz
    • Jul 2007

DIY -- but not speaker related!

Hi everyone,

What I am trying to do is have an amp turn on once the receiver turns on/sends audio to my speakers. My receiver has a 12v trigger, the amps I am looking at do not, nor "auto-on" sensing.

If I can figure this out then the Behringer a-500 may be an option to power the mains.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Many of the prosound companies make trigger based sequencers.

I use a Furman PS-PRO II SMP 3-Step Sequencer to turn on 3 power amps. They make ones for less demanding tasks as well.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zzzz
        • Jul 2007

Thanks Dennis and Thomas. Wow those Furman's (is that politically correct?) are expen$ive.

In the meanwhile I did some research and found AudioSource amps that are (a) relatively inexpensive and (b) have an auto-on feature.

Anyone know anything about the quality of AudioSource amps? I have read a few positive reviews on the web.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by zzzz
          Hi everyone,

What I am trying to do is have an amp turn on once the receiver turns on/sends audio to my speakers. My receiver has a 12v trigger, the amps I am looking at do not, nor "auto-on" sensing.

If I can figure this out then the Behringer a-500 may be an option to power the mains.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
          Here is an option if you just want to turn on other components.

Also Parasound used to make a product called the Scamp that did the same thing. You can find them used on Audiogon.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• zzzz
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Here is an option if you just want to turn on other components.

Also Parasound used to make a product called the Scamp that did the same thing. You can find them used on Audiogon.

HTH

Jim
            Thanks again Jim. I'll have to look into that option.
            Regards,

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zzzz
              Wow those Furman's (is that politically correct?) are expen$ive.
              That's their most expensive unit, which is why I posted "They make ones for less demanding tasks as well." Those are less expensive and can be found on their website.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zzzz
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                That's their most expensive unit, which is why I posted "They make ones for less demanding tasks as well." Those are less expensive and can be found on their website.....

http://www.furmansound.com/
                Gotcha.

Even their cheapo stuff is a tad pricey (for me). Probably just me

Thanks for the link!

Comment

• ahaik
                  • Feb 2007

Z,
                  I had the same problem with my older parasound amps, I'm using this , you can find open box ones for less on Ebay.

Asi.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"