X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bjmmy
    • Jul 2007

Microbe SE BOM

Since there isn't a published BOM (or a build thread here that I can find) for the Microbe SE, can anyone verify that this BOM I put together based on Roman's site is correct? My total comes out higher than others I have seen on this forum, but I'm not sure why. The 1.8 mH inductor seems awfully pricey, but seems to be what Roman is calling for in the wiring diagram if I'm not mistaken...

QTY PE PN Description Unit $ Ext $
    2 295-360 RS125S-8 21.85 $43.70
    2 Seas 22TAF/G 27.45 $54.90
    2 027-418 3 uF capacitor $1.67 $3.34
    2 027-422 4.7 uF capacitor $1.89 $3.78
    2 027-425 5.6 uF capacitor $2.10 $4.20
    2 255-028 20ga 0.3 mH inductor $3.24 $6.48
    2 255-428 15ga 0.42 ohm 1.8 mH inductor $19.26 $38.52
    2 255-200 18ga 0.05 mH inductor $2.26 $4.52
    2 004-6 6 ohm resistor $1.38 $2.76
    2 004-7 7 ohm resistor $1.38 $2.76
    Subtotal $164.96

Thanks in advance! These, along with the RS150 MTM center and Modula MT R/Ls will be my first crossovers built from scratch and I want to make sure I order the correct parts.
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

The BOM looks good.

Don't forget a couple of ports, speaker cups/binding posts, and some cabinet dampening material.

Comment

• bjmmy
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
      The BOM looks good.

Don't forget a couple of ports, speaker cups/binding posts, and some cabinet dampening material.
      Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, I still need to include some parts beyond the crossover and drivers. Have you built these? If so, did you use that same 1.8 mh inductor? That's the one that I really question - especially since I saw some posts where people said parts would cost $68/speaker. Size is still a big concern to me, but it makes me think twice about these for $82/ea when I can build another 2 Modula MTs for $110/ea...

Comment

• Landroval
        • Dec 2005

1.8mH 0.42Ohm inductor looks good to me. That's what it should be.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bjmmy
          Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, I still need to include some parts beyond the crossover and drivers. Have you built these? If so, did you use that same 1.8 mh inductor? That's the one that I really question - especially since I saw some posts where people said parts would cost $68/speaker. Size is still a big concern to me, but it makes me think twice about these for $82/ea when I can build another 2 Modula MTs for $110/ea...

I haven't built these. You might want to give Madisound a call and find out the DCR on their 15AWG inductors. It's not listed on their site, but if it's close, it would save you $7-8 per side.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

I've read a few posts at PE that said Jeff B.'s RS150/Seas27XXXX sound good and the parts cost would be lower than the microbes.

Images not available
            Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:56 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• bjmmy
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
              I've read a few posts at PE that said Jeff B.'s RS150/Seas27XXXX sound good and the parts cost would be lower than the microbes.

Images not available
              ​

Interesting... I hadn't seen those before. That certainly is a simple looking crossover (not sure if that's so good...), but the thing that seems potentially good is that all 5 of my speakers would have the same tweeter with that design. That might be worth looking into. It's a good thing I haven't started cutting the MDF for my surround enclosures yet!
              Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:56 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by bjmmy
                Might be the lower costs were back before copper went up in price. Past couple of years inductors have gone up 30% or more....

$220 for a pair of ModulaMT's? Just built a pair, and either you went for the iron core on that big one, and lowballed some of the other parts, or that's the pre Cu=precious metal pricing...

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

I'm pretty sure Roman uses an iron core inductor for the 1.8mh, but an air core with low DCR is better- just takes up more room in the cabinet.

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                    I'm pretty sure Roman uses an iron core inductor for the 1.8mh, but an air core with low DCR is better- just takes up more room in the cabinet.
                    Yes, Roman did... but you know Jon... he's liable to show up any minute wagging his finger at iron core users.... :twisted:

Comment

• bjmmy
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JonP
                      Might be the lower costs were back before copper went up in price. Past couple of years inductors have gone up 30% or more....

$220 for a pair of ModulaMT's? Just built a pair, and either you went for the iron core on that big one, and lowballed some of the other parts, or that's the pre Cu=precious metal pricing...
                      Hmmm… Those costs came out of the BOM in the build thread. I looked at the prices for some of the parts and they were dead on with that BOM. I guess I should look up each and every part before I go shooting my mouth off!

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Yes, Roman did... but you know Jon... he's liable to show up any minute wagging his finger at iron core users.... :twisted:
                        :nono: Just say no to iron core. Where's Jon? :B

Comment

• bjmmy
                          • Jul 2007

Off topic, but I just updated the unit prices for this BOM and it comes out to $233.70 for a pair.
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 17:13 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• bjmmy
                            • Jul 2007

Ok, I'm confident that my BOM has the correct components thanks to your help, but now I am wondering about the Dreydel speaker vs. the Microbe SE. I can't find any information on the Dreydel other than that from its creator, but I like the fact that if I built these for surrounds, I'd have the same tweeter in all 5 of my speakers. Should I be so hung up on that? Has anybody heard this speaker? The Microbe SE seems like a safe bet because a lot of people have built them and like them, but I really like the idea of matching tweeters...

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"