X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

General Drilling Question

This might be a dumb question but what size drill bit should be used for pilot holes? Should it be the same diameter as the screw going into the hole? And how deep should the pilot hole be, same deep as screw? Finally does the same logic apply whether its a normal screw or lag screw?
  • seeker
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pez
    This might be a dumb question but what size drill bit should be used for pilot holes? Should it be the same diameter as the screw going into the hole? And how deep should the pilot hole be, same deep as screw? Finally does the same logic apply whether its a normal screw or lag screw?

See if this helps:

Steve

Comment

• bob barkto
      • Dec 2006

In addition to the chart Seeker mentioned you might find this to be of some help.

Some info on screws

Originally posted by Pez

Comment

• kingpin
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pez
        All depends on what material you are screwing in to and the purpose of the screw.

More info please.

Mike
        Call me "MIKE"
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
        CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
        CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
        Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Pez
          • May 2004

Originally posted by kingpin
          All depends on what material you are screwing in to and the purpose of the screw.

More info please.

Mike
          Right now I am making a workbench and then speakers so the material is wood (I have always wanted to take up wookworking and now that I just bought a house I finally have space to do it).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"