X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keefe
    • Jul 2007

Wiring Speakers

I have 4 Dayton DA175 and 2 Seas 27TBFCG that I'm using in Zaph Audio's BAMTM. I just have 2 wiring questions before I break something...

There are no +/- marks on either the woofer or tweeter. Is there some trick to determining which terminal is which or can I just connect the wires to either?

Also, I believe I'm wiring the woofers in parallel, so can I just run 2 separate wires off of the crossover to each separate woofer, or would you suggest just running one wire off and then continuing it to the next woofer?

I.E.

[+ X-Over]-----------0---------0 (one continuous wire)

[+ X-Over]-----------0 --------0 (2 separate wires)
    ********\ _ _ _ _ _ _ /

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Don't have a clue about the +/- leads on the drivers.

The crossover diagram is literally how you should wire the drivers, once you figure out their polarity.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I usually run 2 sets of wires from the crossover and keep them equal length.

On the RS line of drivers, the polarity markings are very difficult to see, but they're pressed into the material the terminals are mounted to (the black stuff).

Similarly, the Seas drivers I've used have molded-in marking that's tough to see. That or a red dot (or similar marking).

In both cases, good eyesight and experimenting with angle against a bright light can help.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Keefe
        • Jul 2007

Thanks, I guess I'll just look harder. One more question if you don't mind. Any ideas about the best port length? Zaph has the measurement for 28-32Hz. I was going to stick with 30Hz (it's in the middle), but thought I would just ask.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

On telling the polarity some manufactures make the (+) bigger than the (-)...
          -Joe

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"