X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Glass tube sub?

I picked up a pair of glass tubes from work that were getting thrown out. These are from our old drum scanner. The tubes are about 6.75" id and 27" long.

My plan is to make some MDF end caps, put a small sub at each end (whatever will fit), some neon lights, and put one in each of my kids room. My son wants me to make his look like a missile. :twisted:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glasstube.webp
Views:	24
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	943040
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Interesting concept, but sounds dangerous to me. What if they shatter or crack when you crank them up?

Also, sonotube tends to dampen vibrations, glass would transmit them or resonate. I don't think it would sound the same as a sonotube.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Those look mighty thick. I don't think it would be such a problem really. Could be though?

Comment

• 1Michael
        • Sep 2006

There wouldn't be enough pressure from the driver to break it but droppin sure will.
        Michael
        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Cool! It looks like the 6.5" Tang Band might fit.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Looks good to me. Make a very nice computer sub. And as long as you make a base thats got a pretty big footprint you should be fine. I doubt they would break if they fell over on carpet anyways. Most bedrooms have carpet

Comment

• PoorboyMike
              • Oct 2005

I agree Dennis, the 6.5" TB looks like the best bet. One on each end should be enough bass for a small bedroom.

My other thought was to make a cradle that it could lay in horizontally. If nothing else, it will be fun to play around with. And I'm pretty sure it's tempered glass plus it's over 1/8" thick, so I'm not worried about it breaking easy.

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                I agree Dennis, the 6.5" TB looks like the best bet. One on each end should be enough bass for a small bedroom.

My other thought was to make a cradle that it could lay in horizontally. If nothing else, it will be fun to play around with. And I'm pretty sure it's tempered glass plus it's over 1/8" thick, so I'm not worried about it breaking easy.
                Oh, yeah, that would be pretty tough... shouldn't be a problem. Though I'd look at porting... run some WinISD on it to see what would be optimal.

Image in my mind of that tube, with maybe clear Plexiglas endcaps, and a clear PVC (yes you can get it at McMasters) or plexi tube port... "The Visible Sonotube Sub!!"

Now, that would be cool! 8)

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Image in my mind of that tube, with maybe clear Plexiglas endcaps, and a clear PVC (yes you can get it at McMasters) or plexi tube port... "The Visible Sonotube Sub!!"

Now, that would be cool! 8)
                  Especially if you can find a transparent driver to stuff in there. Transparent cone and basket, so you can see the magnet, voice coil and spider do their stuff! :B

I wonder how it would sound though. The glass tube could "ring" or resonate in ways that a sonotube wouldn't.

Comment

• kingpin
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by PoorboyMike

My other thought was to make a cradle that it could lay in horizontally.
                    Make sure nobody can step or fall on top of it. Glass is not very forgiving to our skin.

Mike
                    Call me "MIKE"
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• JonP
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
                      Especially if you can find a transparent driver to stuff in there. Transparent cone and basket, so you can see the magnet, voice coil and spider do their stuff! :B

I wonder how it would sound though. The glass tube could "ring" or resonate in ways that a sonotube wouldn't.
                      Forgot to comment on that. Couple things come to mind, one is that with both ends capped, the end plates would damp the natural ringing mode.. which would make it sound like a giant wind chime tube if it was open ended or one end open. I doubt that it could ring much when finished and both ends capped.

The other thing, since it's a sub, you won't be driving it directly with higher frequencies like you would with a full(er) range speaker. So it won't be forced to ring as much as it would otherwise.

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

Putting some sonic barrier in around the sides should help with the resonance a lot. Have you thought about a transmission line? That would be pretty cool, but it's not very long, so perhaps it wouldn't work well for a sub. If I remember correctly, you can use 1/4 the wavelength for t-lines, so a 125Hz tune would be in order with that length. Add a lot of heavy stuffing and that could go down considerably (I think). Just a thought...

Anyways, sounds like this will be an interesting project!
                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Yeah the sub will never play high enough to stimulate the resonance so it shouldn't be a problem. Tap it with a coin and that will tell you the frequency where it rings. Some stuffing might help the sonics a bit but it would ruin the 'cool' factor. 8)

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"