Budget $400. Suggestions for a subwoofer driver for $150???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin Haskins
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
    What else do I need to look show for someone to say whether this is correct (for IB), or not?
    Looks good.... I don't advocate running IBs without an subsonic filter. The simulations are all fine and dandy but even with high stroke large displacement drivers you can bottom them with 10Hz information. Its an expensive mistake when you find the limits of your drivers by trial and error.

I use a 15Hz-18Hz 2nd order subsonic on all IBs.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins

How many IBs do you have?! :B

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'd say that's a judgement call based on how hard you push the particular system, and how much headroom it has. A tunable subsonic filter is MANDATORY for EBS alignment ported systems, for example, IMO. Experience with 4-12 driver IB's that are not EQ'd in an attempt to force them flat to 15 Hz, and with realistic size living rooms, indicates to me personally that this filtering is usually not necessary, and has audible side effects.

Perhaps ThomasW, the operator of the Cult of the Infintely Baffled, and an experienced IB builder, will have additional comments.

I do understand your concern for protecting a system, which is one reason to take some time matching the amplification to the load, so that one is unlikely to over power the system.

Unfortunately, there is that percentage of users for whom their favorite system setting is "11" on a scale of 1-10....
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• zzzz
          • Jul 2007

Before I start cutting the wood, could someone confirm with me how I need to mount the driver. I plan on gluing the inner and outer baffles (each 3/4" MDF) and bolt the driver into place.

I'm also unsure what diameter bolts I need. Looks like 4mm or so.

Also, if I mount the driver on the front of the baffle ie not flush mounted how far away does the grille have to be?

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

If your driver has a rubber ring on it, get rid of it. Get some weather stripping from lowes or HD - I like the Automotive/marine grade stuff. Then use either drywall screws to hold the driver in place or 1/4" bolts with t-nuts. I'm a convert to just using dry wall screws. it works and it is so much easier.

But, if you use t-nuts, glue small squares of real plywood to the back of the mdf and then pound the t-nuts into the plywood. t-nuts just don't grab well in mdf.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
              How many IBs do you have?! :B
              None... don't even have one in my house. I have done three installs with them though and every one I've used a subsonic filter to keep from having to come back and replace overdriven systems. When your selling or installing something you take extra measures that you may not do for yourself.

I'm just covering my butt and making sure people understand that the drivers are not protected by an acoustic high pass filter like you have in a sealed box. Some people just don't understand that the drivers are much easier to overdrive in an IB setup. I don't want them to learn the hard way.

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

Looks good.... I don't advocate running IBs without an subsonic filter. The simulations are all fine and dandy but even with high stroke large displacement drivers you can bottom them with 10Hz information. Its an expensive mistake when you find the limits of your drivers by trial and error.

That's a very real concern if one would get carried away. The amp I have is a QSC PLX3402...
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  That's in the ball park- about 108 dB at 10 Hz, about 115 dB at 20 Hz with 600W total (150 W /driver).

To improve the accuracy of the Unibox simulation, calculate the actual volume you would have to work with for your IB space, and use that as your working volume, not 99,999 liters. The Q will be a bit higher, the Fb a bit higher, and there will be a bit less output in the very low frequencies for this same drive level.
                  The IB space is the back volume, I assume? If I did the math right, the actual is about 110,000 liters. It's the whole unfinished partial basement...
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

That's a very real concern if one would get carried away. The amp I have is a QSC PLX3402...

Yes, that's quite capable of overpowering a 4X IB sub with this driver, depending on your wiring configuration. The ideal setup would be an amplifier and VC wiring configuration that limits power to not much over 150 watts per driver. Unless you need 115 dB+, in which I'd go with Kevin and make the infrasonic filter mandatory. I'd suggest using the lower power, though, as you'll be putting much more stress on the drivers for only a few dB more output level.

With the currently available PLX3602, I'd wire the individual VC's in series, and connect two in parallel on each channel. This would give a total stereo max output of ~775 watts, about 190 watts max per driver. That would make full use of your drivers with over 700 watts, compared to the Unibox sim with 600W (do you NEED more than 120 dB above 30 Hz?) and still be fairly safe without external limiting. Otherwise, plan on that infrasonic filter for safety.

Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:08 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zzzz
                      Before I start cutting the wood, could someone confirm with me how I need to mount the driver. I plan on gluing the inner and outer baffles (each 3/4" MDF) and bolt the driver into place.

I'm also unsure what diameter bolts I need. Looks like 4mm or so.

Also, if I mount the driver on the front of the baffle ie not flush mounted how far away does the grille have to be?
                      It's always a very good idea to have the drivers in hand before doing any cutting.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                        • Jan 2005

What Jon said.

You guys have to understand... I'm the guy who gets the drivers back that have been overdriven with someone saying "it just broke, I need warranty work!". I have an obligation to give safe advice in terms of installs.

Just a note on power ratings also..... they are not always as reported. Fortunately, the numbers are typically overstated but its terribly difficult to perfectly match an amp to clip in the region where the driver is going to overload. Typically you will be power limited above a certain frequency and excursion limited below (depending on the install). In that case... you may be safe with >30Hz content but the sub killer movie with LOTS of 10Hz information may take out a driver or two even with a lower power amp than you thought was necessary.

Also as Jon stated, typical 2nd order Butterworth subsonic filters with the corner up around 18-20Hz will rob some output. Worse... unless you design and build the filter yourself they are not the most accurate and the corner can vary +/- 2Hz or more. The DSP based systems should allow a steeper high-order subsonic that you can set lower (maybe around 14-15Hz) and they will have less effect on your usable output and give better protection. They are also VERY accurate. I'm designing a variable 2nd or 4th order subsonic for our new subwoofer filter tool and it is dead-on accurate with the ability to dial-in the 4th order filter with great accuracy. That will allow setting it deeper, getting more usable output and better overall protection.

Comment

• whoaru99
                          • Jul 2004

No offense taken, or meant to you, but I don't play that game. If I think I wrecked it I don't try to claim warranty or play dumb.

I actually deal with warranty on totally non-related products and I certainly know where you are coming from with the "I don't know what happened; it just broke" line.

Now, sometimes from the customer perspective that's true, but other times it's clearly and obviously not the case. :lol:

I do appreciate all the advice - now I just have to decide to pull the trigger. Been spending $ like a rock star lately so I'm sort of waffling on it. The trusty old Servo 15 is holding me over, but...I've heard and read so much about IB subs...

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ahaik
                            • Feb 2007

Got my XJ-15, it will be some time untill I will build the sonosub for it. That gives me time to shop around for and amp (I prefer to buy second hand) and maybe an equalizer.
                            I know the Behringer amps are considered good for the task looking at the driver specs, its 600 watts RMS (depends on the application).
                            So, Behringer EuroPower EP1500 is probably overkill, but the E500 is a little on the low side.
                            I will appriciate any other recomendations for an amp.

Thanks,
                            Asi.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

If you don't mind the fan noise get the EP-1500 and let it loaf along... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                • Jan 2005

That is a THERMAL rating. About 98% of damaged subs are damaged by driving them past their mechanical limits so your real concern should be matching them to the appropriate box/amp.

With a 300L sonosub tuned to 16-18Hz 500W@4 Ohms will get you pretty much to max output. I prefer to have an amp that will clip right before you can overdrive the transducer. Clipping won't kill it so you end up with a nice safety mechanism built-in via power limiting. You can still kill it under port tuning but your much safer with that low of a tuning frequency.

Comment

• ahaik
                                  • Feb 2007

That is a THERMAL rating. About 98% of damaged subs are damaged by driving them past their mechanical limits so your real concern should be matching them to the appropriate box/amp.

With a 300L sonosub tuned to 16-18Hz 500W@4 Ohms will get you pretty much to max output. I prefer to have an amp that will clip right before you can overdrive the transducer. Clipping won't kill it so you end up with a nice safety mechanism built-in via power limiting. You can still kill it under port tuning but your much safer with that low of a tuning frequency.
                                  Well, I'm not a kidd and my blasting days are long gone. As long as one of the kids doesn't turn the knob all the way up it will be ok, I will probably keep the sub level on the processor low enough just in case.
                                  I did some modeling using UniBox, but I'm still not sure about some of the features, I need to play with it some more, also Speaker Building 201 is on its way :T
                                  Thanks Thomas and Kevin.

Asi.

Comment

• orbifold
                                    • Jun 2006

OK, ordered one. Will do a sealed I guess. I'll be watching to hear what develops as to using this sealed or ported. I have a small room, also, I can wait to see peoples' experience--it will be a while till cutting can start.
                                    Great thread, some of you guys should really look into selling cars or something like that!
                                    Don't fight, don't argue... If you stay healthy and wait by the river, you'll see all your enemies float by, one by one!

Anonymous

Comment

• zzzz
                                      • Jul 2007

Well I just calibrated and EQd the sub with the exodus xj 15 driver. It sounds phenomenal - to me. It's in an ugly 311 Litre enclosure - sealed not ported. I decided to go sealed to increase sound quality as I won't be able to listen very loudly - typically about 60-70 dB.

Tested it out on LOTR: FOTR and the sauron exploding, ring dropping and other early bass heavy scenes were great! Could feel as well as hear the bass. Doesn't hurt (except to my ears) that the sub is right behind the couch in an awkward spot I can't use for anything else.

Too embarrassed to post pics of the sub in it's current finish.

Many, many thanks for all the sage and wise advice I received here!

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                        • Jan 2005

Come on.... we love seeing bare MDF! :-)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

The barer the better! :T
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• yousuredo2
                                            • Jun 2006

well, they are sold out I guess, all I can find now is the 12" xj-12
                                            Any other good deals for large subs ?
                                            the size of box can be large.
                                            My System
                                            ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                                            ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                                            ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                                            ~ Sony PS.3
                                            ~ Xbox 360
                                            ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                                            ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                                            ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                                            ~ Behringer ep2500
                                            ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by yousuredo2
                                              well, they are sold out I guess, all I can find now is the 12" xj-12
                                              Any other good deals for large subs ?
                                              the size of box can be large.
                                              $235 including shipping is pretty good for an 18".

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                • Jan 2005

How much stroke does that 18" have?

The Tempest-X will be in stock late Sept-mid October. I've not received a shipping date yet but they should be popping out of the oven soon. Shipped price will be in the $195 area.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

How much stroke does that 18" have?
                                                  Xmax is 22mm

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2005

Gee Thanks, Kevin. I haven't even done anything with the XJ-15s I just bought...

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                      Gee Thanks, Kevin. I haven't even done anything with the XJ-15s I just bought...
                                                      You can never have enough subs.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                        Xmax is 22mm
                                                        Thats 19.26 cm^3 per dollar. Looks like a good value and a good IB solution since the size isn't so much an issue.

Comment

• Curly Woods
                                                          • Dec 2005

Would the 15" version of the DIY Cable subs (which I have purchased) work in a down firing cabinet or Sonotube setup?
                                                          Last edited by Curly Woods; 16 September 2007, 17:35 Sunday. Reason: clarification
                                                          Mike Mastin

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                                                            • Aug 2000

Yes, they will.

Comment

• Curly Woods
                                                              • Dec 2005

Thanks Kyle!
                                                              Mike Mastin

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                • Feb 2007

Looking at the XJ-15 driver parameters:

Fs = 25Hz
                                                                Qes = 0.673

EBP = 37

I'm a little confused, wouldn't the driver ring a lot ?
                                                                Isn't it more suited for a closed box ?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

It's best suited to a dipole, IB, or closed box. Ported box must be very large....
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                    It's best suited to a dipole, IB, or closed box. Ported box must be very large....
                                                                    Thanks Jon.
                                                                    I'm just wondering, woulden't a higher Qes means less back EMF and if put in a large vented box there wouldn't be enough cone control and the speakers wouldn't do as good in transitions ?

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"