Project #2: Help me with "re-speakerizing" my pretty enclosures. Suggestions welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor550
    • May 2007

Project #2: Help me with "re-speakerizing" my pretty enclosures. Suggestions welcome!

The Problem:
    When I move back to Seattle I have some very nice looking custom built cabinets they look like This:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oblisks-2.webp
Views:	24
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	943949

They contain some drivers of questionable quality, and I would like to renovate them. Preferably with a Dayton RS255 or RS180 and a Seas silk tweeter so I could have them voiced to the previous pair I built that I would use as back surrounds. My problem is that I have NO IDEA about designing my own crossovers, nor do I have any measurement equipment. I am still a novice, I can solder, read, and that's about it.

I was thinking about modifying the enclosure like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker-Greyprints_help.webp
Views:	16
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	943948

Internal Options?
    Basically I would be gutting all the current speakers and selling them to get cash for better drivers.
    I'm not yet able to design my own crossover and expect good results. So I wanted to use either a Modula MT, M8ta, or Jay's Raptors design in it. As you can see, my baffle and speaker placement would be different than all three, with the M8ta being closest in angels and vertical driver center to center distance. -but could I get away with such a change like above? Its a totally different shape and speaker layout than the modula, and a different volume than the M8ta, and its too big for the Jay_WJ "raptors" crossover.

Airspace Options:
    the two large chambers of the enclosures are 1.4 cubic feet for the bottom and 1.7 cubic feet on top. If the 7" or 8" driver needs a ton of airspace I could combine them by drilling a hole and sealing up the 10" hole.

Sub options:
    This could be its own thread all together but Right now I have 2 so-so JBL's. If I keep the bottom 1.4 sealed chamber I was wondering If the RS270's would work pulling sub duity 80hz and under. That to small for them? I know the RSS265's would be perfect, but I just cant afford them.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I need to figure out a complete solution by the 14th of July so I can buy everything on sale as thats my only hope of affording this
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:34 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The M8ta plans are not made available to people unwilling to built the exact box design and crossover created for them.

RS270's are not appropriate to be used as subwoofers, they'll be destroyed when the first high amplitude low bass transient hits them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I think reading Loudspeaker Cookbook would help you understand how changing the baffle layout will affect the speaker design. Might be a good place to start. The drivers will go onsale again in the future.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cobbpa
        • Apr 2005

Hey Scott, what are the dimensions of the cabinets? Top & bottom width & total height, mainly. In your rendering it looks like the lighter contrasting wood on the sides near the bottom is flush with the darker wood face...is that right?

Comment

• Raptor550
          • May 2007

Thats a good thing to know Thomas.
          I am a little confused however because I was reading Zaphs "low x-max drivers sound better" article: http://www.zaphaudio.com/lowxmax.html I realize he is doing some speculating in the article, but for clarity's sake, How is he using the rs270's where they wouldn't be destroyed?

Ryan - maybe i'll have to take a trip to the library

Cobba, correct, the lighter wood is simply a different colored veneer. The dimensions are 14x14" at the base 6x6" at the top and 36" tall (pretty sure thats the hight). At very least I have 2 cubic feet to work with. -ohh,

ps. cobba, I'll be able to do some work on your project over the weekend
          Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Zaph posts his opinion, I post mine, you decide.

IMO, if you want to use low displacement drivers for a sub do so, just be sure to buy and use them by the dozen, if you want any real low frequency output at higher SPL.

I've been around the block enough times to know one truly gets what one pays for. There are some VERY good sub drivers with higher Xmax. The thing is they aren't cheap.

With properly chosen components and given a good design, a speaker system can easily last a decade and provide increasingly better sound quality as the electronics driving them is upgraded. This isn't the situation when the loudspeaker design is 'low-balled'....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"