Need help designing an easy to do subwoofer box.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SayNoToPistons
    • Jun 2007

Need help designing an easy to do subwoofer box.

I am planning on building my first DIY subwoofer for my "future" home theater" . It's more of an experiment and experience since it will be my first. Anyways, i will choose the Elemental Design EQS12 subwoofer (single) and the 300w Bash amp. I don't have much wood working skills so i don't need a fancy box (as long as it's pleasing to the eye and won't look like a disaster sitting in a room). I would like to keep the size small and the design simple. I would like to mount the amp in the back of the box. I searched for designs using the EQS12 and i found these, unfortunately they're using dual woofers and i plan on using a single.

A dual woofer design using the same amp i plan on using:

Another dual woofer design using a different amp. I plan on mounting my amp like the way he did it:

So what sort of designs can you guys come up with?

Thanks.
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Check out the DIY sub page in the Missions: Accomplished section. I had a single 12" eD design with a plate amp. The box wasn't really the best size, but I think it was a decent example of a clean, midsized box. Of course, there are lots of other ideas there too!

Comment

• SayNoToPistons
      • Jun 2007

I read that the EHQS12 required some what larger boxes to sound their best? What designs and size do you recommend?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

What are your goals with this sub? You only have 9mm of xmax to work with, so don't plan on going loud and low.

I'd say a 2-3 ft^3 tuned to 25hz or so would give you decent performance for the cost. I wouldn't tune any lower than that but you'll want to make sure you have the high pass on your amp set near the tuning frequency or you will easily bottom the driver if you push it during movies.

Let me know if you need a hand modeling this.

Comment

• SayNoToPistons
          • Jun 2007

I'm just planning on using it as a temporary sub in a room in the house (around 14 x 16 ft). Main goal is to complete it and learn something and gain experience so i can build a higher quality speaker (floorstand or subwoofer) in the future. I honestly never built a speaker before so i need as much help as possible .

Comment

• SayNoToPistons
            • Jun 2007

?? Ttt

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"