X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • satterfi
    • Apr 2006

Robo Cabinet

Kreg's pocket hole jig sure makes building speaker cabinets more fun.

This is my first project using BB and a cabinet builder let me borrow his kit.

I'll never go back to MDF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage_2.webp
Views:	25
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	943833

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage_2-1.webp
Views:	25
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	943834
    Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 21:47 Monday. Reason: Update image location
  • Raptor550
    • May 2007

it looks great. what drivers are you going to use?
    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Yeah. You'll notice some pocket holes in my photos. Unfortunately, I ended up abandoning some of it because I couldn't get the drill in like I thought I would. The box was just too small. I could have made it work, but it wasn't needed so I moved on.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• MarcE
        • Jun 2007

That looks really cool! I'm planning a similar shaped box, but with a sloped baffle (kinda hard to tell if you did this or not). Which Kreg kit did you use, as there are so many of them? Also, how does the mass of BB compare to MDF? Finally, is that the entirety of bracing that you will be using for the cabinet?

Comment

• satterfi
          • Apr 2006

The Kreg tool I borrowed is one of the fancy things. It worked so good that after installing a couple of braces I went to Lowe’s and bought the cheapest ‘Mini Jig’ and used it for the rest.

As –K—pointed out, access can be a problem when using a drill to drive the screws, which are a #2 square bit. I made a shorty screw driver by using a 3” long bit, a small plastic cup and a few ounces of epoxy.

The big advantage of using screws is the flexibly they give you. If clamps don’t fit, it doesn’t matter. Even if clamps do work, you don’t need to wait for glue to dry to get the clamps out of the way.

That’s all the bracing I’m going to install. I don’t believe adding more will achieve anything positive and may actually make things worse by lowering resonant frequency by adding mass. I will be adding constrained layer damping to some of the larger open surfaces. My experience with CLD is limited to some garage experiments I’ve done so I’ll see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"