Suggestions Wanted for High-end Nearfiled Computer System (First Project)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

Suggestions Wanted for High-end Nearfiled Computer System (First Project)

First off I should probably say this is going to be my first DIY project. I do have a good friend of mine who is an (pro) audio engineer who will be helping draw up the enclosures and offering general advice. The only problem here is where he is located in the twin cities in WI. Though my dad I also have a access to a skilled wood worker that doesn't mind doing weekend projects so custom, non-boring cabinets are in the plans.

As far as the goals are concerned this will primarily be a music system but there will also be some gaming and movie use though I'm not concerned with surround sound at this point (if ever). My musical tastes are pretty varied; everything from Nick Drake, Rage Against the Machine, to The Chemical Brothers so the system has to be capable of doing everything well. There will be a sub involved built around the Dayton RSS315HF, and 500 watt BASH amp but I'd like to keep most of the music off of it aside from electronic material (Chemical brothers, ect.)

As a reference point I have a pair of DCM Time Windows (from my dad) so I would at least like to replicate that kind of performance if not beat it. Budget is roughly $300 for drivers and crossover components but this is somewhat flexible. Power will come from a Carver TFM-15CB which should be more than enough for low efficiency designs.

Though my friend has offered to help with crossover design being my first project I think it may be best to stick with tried and true projects, since I'd like to avoid having to measure and tweak crossover designs.

The one aspect that would change from any documented projects however would be the cabinet dimensions (internal volume will remain the same). Since these will be sitting on a desk (with a hutch) I have limited depth room so something like a mini-tower say, 8-9" deep, and 15-17" high.

Currently the front runners are the Modula MT, Zaph's Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG, and Troels Gravesen's Peerless HDS 134 + Vifa DX25TG.

Thought's suggestions?
    Last edited by Operandi; 21 June 2007, 23:17 Thursday.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

Careful, speakers with a lot of baffle step compensation will sound heavy and muddy in a nearfield arrangement. That includes my L18 design. That design really needs some space around it and at least 1-1.5 meters listening distance.

I have a reduced baffle step crossover but no guarantees if that will allow near field usage. That was done more for people with tiny listening rooms and/or near wall positioning.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Operandi
      • May 2007

I see, thanks for the info. My listening distance is about 3' when I'm really listening with the volume up so that's not too far from 1m but still what I would consider nearfield.

I have to admit I wasn't aware of "baffle step compensation" until I just read it here, so I'll have to read up on that when I get home from work. I'll also check out the alt. crossover and thread as it looks like there is a some good info there; thanks for pointing it out and chiming in.

Comment

• Operandi
        • May 2007

Ok so I did some homework on BSC and it all makes sense. It also sounds like the revised crossover is more less the solution to the problem. Dose it make any difference that there will be a sub in the system? I'm not sure at what frequency BSC is going to start causing problems.

Also would anyone care to comment on the how the Modula MT would fair for my intended application?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Operandi

Also would anyone care to comment on the how the Modula MT would fair for my intended application?
          ​

There is a "no bsc" version of the Modula MT. I would think it would work great, but you better have some room on your desk.

Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:16 Thursday. Reason: Update quote and htguide url

Comment

• Operandi
            • May 2007

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
            ​

There is a "no bsc" version of the Modula MT. I would think it would work great, but you better have some room on your desk.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22625
            ​

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.
            Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:17 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

I know this is not exactly what you are thinking of, but my vote goes for Zaph's 3" full range speaker based on the Hi-Vi B3 driver.

I started building speakers using that model, and I learned a lot about BSC and notch filtering. Plus, in nearfield, the speakers sound great, with what I'd call a "delicate, silky midrange" (I'm sure John will hate me for using that words!).

Seriously - those speakers are champs, and you'll get a lot of experience for very little money.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Yeah I agree with Javier. A computer speaker is one place where a 'fullrange' driver really makes sense. With the speaker only a couple of feet from your ears, it's harder to get a midrange and tweeter to blend well. Add a sub under the desk to cover the low end and you're stylin'.

Comment

• Landroval
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                  Yeah I agree with Javier. A computer speaker is one place where a 'fullrange' driver really makes sense. With the speaker only a couple of feet from your ears, it's harder to get a midrange and tweeter to blend well. Add a sub under the desk to cover the low end and you're stylin'.
                  Yes. For me fullrange or coaxial are the only options for nearfield. Depends a bit on the material to be used which is better, for heavier and more complex music some fullranges are not optimal.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                    • Oct 2005

You mean like this? :B

Click image for larger version

Name:	Work1.webp
Views:	23
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	939422

Click image for larger version

Name:	Work2.webp
Views:	26
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	939423
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:18 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• AJINFLA
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Operandi
                      Budget is roughly $300 for drivers and crossover components but this is somewhat flexible.

I have limited depth room so something like a mini-tower say, 8-9" deep, and 15-17" high.
                      Loki

cheers,

AJ
                      Manufacturer

Comment

• Operandi
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                        I know this is not exactly what you are thinking of, but my vote goes for Zaph's 3" full range speaker based on the Hi-Vi B3 driver.
                        Put simply its just too low-end in terms of performance with too many compromises, I really want to avoid crossover points above 100hz.

Originally posted by Dennis H
                        With the speaker only a couple of feet from your ears, it's harder to get a midrange and tweeter to blend well. Add a sub under the desk to cover the low end and you're stylin'.
                        I realize it's a design challenge but I don't think it's a deal killer. My pro audio friend thinks is possible, he basically echoed what you just mentioned regarding intergrating the woofer and tweeter for such a small listening area. Zaph who's opinion I put a lot of trust in didn't discourage it either...

Still I'm not entirely against full range designs, it's just that I've never heard any high-end full range drivers so I don't know what to expect or if I'd be happy with the performance. Particularly I was looking at Vikash Chauhan's CSS FR125S monitors and some of the Fostex units.

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                        Loki

cheers,

AJ
                        That is actually one of the first designs I was looking at, though I didn't mention it since brining up kits it's discouraged here.

Coaxial designs should work great in a near-field, and the Loki is a kit so most of the design work is already done (both a + and - in my opinion). My only concern is I'm not sure how good the Seas T18REX/XFC is, and if it's worth it's somewhat high price tag especially vs. say the drivers in the Modula MT.

Comment

• Raptor550
                          • May 2007

poorboy, your now my hero :rofl: those things are PIMP!
                          Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

• Operandi
                            • May 2007

Dose anyone else have any comments in regards to using the Modula MT for this application? In particular the no BSC version, or perhaps other tweaks to the crossover (if required). I already have a Dayton RSS315HF, and I kind of like the idea of an all Dayton RS system.

I just picked up a slightly used Adcom GFA-535 II so that will be the power source.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"