X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor550
    • May 2007

Quick question about inductor placement

OK, does this look more or less right? do you think my inductors are far enough away? Any blaring mistakes? If not I'm gonna put em in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrossoverPhoto1.webp
Views:	24
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	943981

Also, with inductors is it bad to have the two ends of the inductor touching? Thats how they were when I bought them and I didn't know if I should keep them like that for some reason, should I make it so the ends are separated?

Name:	CrossoverPhoto2.webp
Views:	22
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	943982

Name:	Crossover.webp
Views:	20
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	943983
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:08 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project
  • Chris7
    • Dec 2006

The tinned ends of the inductors must definitely not be touching. I would move the ends further apart so they don't inadvertently come in contact.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

You will want to separate the two ends (wires) on the inductor, since if they're touching, you'd be shorting out the inductor, making it ineffective. That is, if the bare parts are touching like they seem to be in your 2nd pic. The insulated parts can touch, but if you can separate them, it'll be better in the long term.

Comment

• Raptor550
        • May 2007

YEY! thanks guys!

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Go look at the guide here to placement of inductors in relation to each other.

Chuck

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

As far as placement goes, this actually doesn't look bad. I'm glad you understand now about why the leads of the inductor (or a capacitor, or any component for that matter) should not be touching.

I think they're shipped like that just for neatness.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Amphiprion
              • Apr 2006

Separate the leads, that's just a way of packing them neatly. Otherwise everything looks fine, people worry about inductor placement way more than they need to. I've spent the last two weeks trying to make air core transformers and even trying to get two inductors, one wound around the other, to have a decent coupling coefficient is very difficult.

Comment

• Raptor550
                • May 2007

Thanks for the advice, I have got a page to show my project now:
                Hello, this is here im going to be posting my stuff. Our story thus far: After moving to Ohio I had no sound setup, and virtually no money. After staring at the madisound frequency responses for an amount of time I would rather not disclose I found some speakers I wanted. While earching for information on these speakers, a
                Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:08 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"