X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

PoorboyMike's NatP thread

OK, I just finished my 1st cross over ever. Could somebody take a look at it and see if it looks OK before I start the next one? And any comments such as "that's not the worse solder job I've ever seen" would make me feel a little better too. I'll be ordering some of the quad stuff from Solen ASAP, as this silver stuff is pretty hard for a noob like me to work with.

Also, I finished veneering my cabinets yesterday (1st time veneer job) using the PVA/Iron on method. They looked great when I was done but when I went out to my garage tonight, there was a couple of nice bubbles on 4 of the surfaces. I turned up the heat on the iron almost to the max and it all laid down good again. Other than the fact that these were left outside in a cold, damp garage over night, could it have just been that I didn't use enough heat the 1st time? I rolled on 2 coats of glue on the cabinets and 1 on the paper back veneer, so I'm pretty sure I have enough glue. I'll be pretty bummed if I go out there again tomorrow and the same thing has happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NATPXover.webp
Views:	165
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	944629
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:34 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hey Mike!

I have only had time to take a brief look at your xo, so I’m not 100% sure on your wiring, but I didn’t see any issues.
    It’s hard to see in your pic, but make sure you have good solder flow/coverage on all your joints. The joint on L2 to R3 seems like there might not be flow, but it’s hard say from the pic. Otherwise, I would say you did a fine job for your first effort!
    FWIW, make sure you put lots of hotglue on your xo components, you don't want them falling off some day when you have these babies cranking!

It is easy to test things out, when you have your speakers mounted, you can run jumpers to your xo out side of the box, and connect them to your system. Be sure to set volume VERY low, and see how they sound. If there is a problem, you will know right away, and at low power, it’s unlikely you could hurt anything assuming your system has protection from a dead short across your speaker leads.

I once accidently reversed the leads for the tweeters and woofers on my Nat P's, and it was very obvious, but did not hurt anything.

Hope your veneer turned out OK!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

That's good to hear on xover! I'll just re-do that joint to make sure it's good. Thanks for looking these over and now I can get going on the other one. I didn't want to start it if the 1st one was screwed up. 8)

I should have at least one of these fired up today so wish me the best.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

I got one of them up and running tonight. The local hardware store didn't have enough screws for me to finish both of them though so hopefully I can get into HD tomorrow and pick up some more.

The sound is excellent. Not quite as deep as my Infinitys but very close. Considering the Infinitys are towers with dual 8's, I'm pretty surprised how close the NatP's are. As far as detail, the NatP's walk all over the Alpha 50's. I played Angel by Sara McLachlan and her voice sounded incredible. My wife, who has listened to this song hundreds of times, said she heard things that she had never heard before. :T When I get the other one done I'll hook them up to my newly purchased A500 and see if there is an improvement over the Pioneer 1014.

Big thanks to JonMarsh for all his work on this fantastic design. ;x(

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Not the greatest pics but here it is. I'll be staining the oak with antique cherry urethane gel stain. I tried it on a small sample of veneer and I really like the color. Thanks for looking.

Name:	DSCF2768.webp
Views:	20
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	944630

Name:	DSCF2770.webp
Views:	21
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	944631

Name:	DSCF2769.webp
Views:	22
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	944632
          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:35 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

That's great Mike!!!!!

After they brake in, and with some experimenting with positioning, you may find the bass improves.

One thing that initially fooled me was that the bass was so tight and controlled, I didn't realize how much better it was. We get used to mushy loud, and have too recondition our selves to good LF. I first realized it when I was in another room, and said 'holy crap! is all that low end coming from my Nat's?'
            And yes, you will start hearing all kinds music in your CDs you never heard before. Have fun, this is just the begining!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PoorboyMike
              • Oct 2005

I forgot to include something in the pictures. Don't mind the dirt, I've been in the garage all day.

Name:	DSCF2772.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	944633
              Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:36 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WillyD
                • Feb 2006

I'll hook them up to my newly purchased A500 and see if there is an improvement over the Pioneer 1014.
                It should almost certainly be an improvement. And the bass response should be pretty dang good..maybe when you have both set up and they break in a bit....

Comment

• Gir
                  • Dec 2006

I forgot to include something in the pictures. Don't mind the dirt, I've been in the garage all day.
                  Your feet?
                  -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

It's a Speakerbuilding Tradition... the foot in the pic shot!! :T

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonP
                      It's a Speakerbuilding Tradition... the foot in the pic shot!! :T
                      Heh, guess I'm still new to that! Better fix up some of my pics... :T
                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• technimac
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                        As far as detail, the NatP's walk all over the Alpha 50's. I played Angel by Sara McLachlan and her voice sounded incredible. My wife, who has listened to this song hundreds of times, said she heard things that she had never heard before. :T When I get the other one done I'll hook them up to my newly purchased A500 and see if there is an improvement over the Pioneer 1014.
                        Big thanks to JonMarsh for all his work on this fantastic design. ;x(
                        :agree:
                        Several cuts from her Afterglow Live DVD (if you have it) will show-off the capabilities of your NatP's to give new, previously unheard elements to voices like Sarah's. Try "Answer" and "Dirty Little Secret" to hear more of what you liked in "Angel". :W
                        I have the Modula MT's (Seas 27TBFC/G version) and noticed that instruments like horns, strings and piano are also crystal-clear. The vocals of singers like Sarah and Diana Krall have unbelievable clarity and depth (I'm not exactly sure how to accurately describe this etherial quality of female voices).
                        I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but here are some other "test tracks" to try with your NatP's:
                        Guitar and Sax? Larry Carlton Collection "Blues For TJ" & "Hello Tomorrow" ...WOW!... 8O
                        ...And the Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne DVD will give your NatP puppies a fairly good workout as well. :B
                        For male vocals, Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live DVD has some excellent renditions of his classic hits from albums such as Silk Degrees.

Sounds like you're in for some mighty fine listening......... :T
                        Cheers
                        "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                          • Oct 2005

Thanks for all of your suggestions technimac. I really need to upgrade my CD and dvd music collection so the tips are much appreciated. My daughter has a huge collection of MP3 music, but most of it isn't the highest of quality. These fantastic speakers deserve much better. ;x(

Comment

• Gir
                            • Dec 2006

Perhaps a Denon SACD player? You can get the 3910 at some really nice prices used.
                            -Tyler

Comment

• Bent
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2003

Several cuts from her Afterglow Live DVD (if you have it) will show-off the capabilities of your NatP's to give new, previously unheard elements to voices like Sarah's.
                              I don't have afterglow - but her "Fear" song from the Mirrorball DVD is the one that does it for me.
                              She actually looks like it's the last time ever that she can hit the high notes in "Fear" everytime she performs it.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Gir
                                Perhaps a Denon SACD player? You can get the 3910 at some really nice prices used.
                                I plan on getting something but not right away. I have a low end Sony DVD/SACD player and an older Kenwood CD player that was pretty decent when it was new. Nothing special but I have to keep the spending somewhat down until we get our new house built. And I get the entire basement to myself, so there will be a dedicated theater and a bar/listening area in my future.

Comment

• technimac
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                                  Thanks for all of your suggestions technimac. I really need to upgrade my CD and dvd music collection so the tips are much appreciated. My daughter has a huge collection of MP3 music, but most of it isn't the highest of quality. These fantastic speakers deserve much better. ;x(
                                  Oh yes, the MP3's....I'm afraid that once you listen to some lower bitrate stuff on your NatP's, you'll be searching for music with flac tags or some other "lossless" form. I have a bunch of MP3 files and only very few of them sound good through the MT's.

But well-recorded & produced material played on your NatP's will leave you breathless...for now your Sony and Kenwood should be able to do the job. :W

Hey Bent, thanks for the pointer to Fear on Sarah's Mirrorball CD :T
                                  "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• Raptor550
                                    • May 2007

I am new to DIY building, but computer audio I have been into since the invention of MP3's

computer music/format suggestions:
                                    I have been very pleased with recordings in .ape (lossless monkeys audio),
                                    L.A.M.E. Mp3's, I back up my CD's with those two. Dts/.wav audio files are good if they are honestly multi channel, all you can find on isohunt.com. currently i am rocking out to the sacd greatest hits of the police. I-tunes may require "tinkering" for these files to run. Winamp is a champ.

Technimac is right. Even on mediocre speakers I can hear a difference between 160 and 192kb, don't even bother with 128kb's. with your new speakers you should be able to hear a difference in 256-320kbs.

If you go onto isohunt.com you can search for the B&W and marantz audio test CD's they are encoded at 700+(beyond what I can hear the diff on my so-so speakers) and the songs very recorded well, so are the more popular classic rock, led zep, etc. they don't do heavy compression for radio brodcast.

for dynamics, might I suggest "pictures of an exhibition", or John Williams ?Jurassic park end credits"
                                    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by technimac
                                      :agree:
                                      Several cuts from her Afterglow Live DVD (if you have it) will show-off the capabilities of your NatP's to give new, previously unheard elements to voices like Sarah's. Try "Answer" and "Dirty Little Secret" to hear more of what you liked in "Angel". :W
                                      I have the Modula MT's (Seas 27TBFC/G version) and noticed that instruments like horns, strings and piano are also crystal-clear. The vocals of singers like Sarah and Diana Krall have unbelievable clarity and depth (I'm not exactly sure how to accurately describe this etherial quality of female voices).
                                      I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but here are some other "test tracks" to try with your NatP's:
                                      Guitar and Sax? Larry Carlton Collection "Blues For TJ" & "Hello Tomorrow" ...WOW!... 8O
                                      ...And the Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne DVD will give your NatP puppies a fairly good workout as well. :B
                                      For male vocals, Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live DVD has some excellent renditions of his classic hits from albums such as Silk Degrees.

Sounds like you're in for some mighty fine listening......... :T
                                      Cheers
                                      I just ordered Afterglow Live, Mirrorball DVD, Eagles Farewell 1 Tour, and Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD for good measure. Can't wait to give these a try!

Comment

• Gir
                                        • Dec 2006

Just curious, where did you order your music from?
                                        -Tyler

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Gir
                                          Amazon. I think it was about $70 total. 8O

I tried to find it locally, but nobody here carries any type of concert DVD.

Comment

• geno742
                                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Gir

Try deep discount dvd.
                                            Lots of concert dvds

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"