X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindahl
    • Dec 2006

Damping Materials

I'm building a sealed ~3.5 cuft TC-3000 subwoofer (well two.. and some speakers ). Will I need to line the subwoofer boxes with any damping materials? I've heard they're mainly for ported systems, and I should just use a little polyfill and EQ to adjust to my Q tastes?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sealed subs are stuffed. The rate is .05-1.5 lbs/cu ft.

Fiberglass is the best choice for this task, but you can use polyfill

Establish the initial amount you want to use then fine tune it.

Use a CD/DVD you're familiar with that has well recorded bass. Play a section of the disc and listen for any nuances or cues that will be helpful. Real musical instrument transients (not synthesized) are the most revealing. So things like the attack of a kick drum, pluck of a bass guitar string, etc., note are good indicators.

Next you're going to add damping material and replay your reference cut. (those with smaller boxes add 4oz, if the box is large add 8 oz.) If the additional material results in tighter bass with better definition and detail, you're on the right track. Continue this process (adding and listening), until the last amount added has no impact other than to lower the overall output level. At this point remove the last amount of damping added and you're done.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lindahl
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Next you're going to add damping material and replay your reference cut.
      That's the problem, I'm not sure if I can reach some of the volume after the box is built.

The box is braced with a central brace, running the height and width of the box. There are two horizontal braces behind that (in the back of the sub), running the width and depth of the box.

Here's a diagram:

Code:
      +--------------+
      X      |   2   |
      XX     +-------+
      XXX 1  |   3   |
      XX     +-------+
      X      |   4   |
      +------+-------+
      The X's are the driver. I've numbered all the volumes that are seperated by braces (but are open to one another through cutouts). I'll have no problem lining volume 1, after the box is built. But volumes 2, 3 and 4 will be difficult to reach and I'm not sure how much of it I can line. Do I want to line them now while the box is open? Or should I just not worry about it?

Great instructions, by the way. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Line the inaccessable areas before closing up the box. Add more if needed by pushing it in with a stick

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"