DCX2496 benefited by FBQ2496? how about vs denon 3806/2807?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zacjones
    • Mar 2007

DCX2496 benefited by FBQ2496? how about vs denon 3806/2807?

I just got a DCX2496. My subs aren't built yet and I've never used it. Apparently there are no feedback destroyer functions built into it (for some reason I thought there were). Would I benefit by adding an FBQ2496 or DSP1124 into the system? How about a DEQ2496?

I'm trying to set up really sweet home theater (aren't we all), and could use some help from the vets in choosing my equipment.

It seems like there are at least 2 ways to go with a feedback system, the second being with denon's latest receivers. Is there a preference with this stuff vs the denon 3806 or 2807?

Right now I've got a Newcastle R-956 receiver that I've been very happy with, but it seems like I might have to let it go to do a pre/power setup here pretty soon, but I'll save that for another thread.

Ultradrive Pro Digital Crossover System $269

Feedback Destroyer Pro FBQ2496 $149 (newer model)

Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P $99

Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 $299
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

The Feedback Destroyers have parametric EQs whereas the DCX2496 has parametrics and shelving filters, which allow you to emulate a LT. Therefore, the DCX2496 has a superior EQ feature set and the added crossover and delay functions are the icing on the cake.

You made a good choice.

Sincerely,

DCX Lover :B

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

The DCX is a better unit in every way but it costs more. Another good one, that has some features the DCX lacks, but it doesn't do crossovers, is the DEQ2496. It's strictly 2-in, 2-out, but it adds features like 1/3 octave graphic EQ and 1/6 octave room measurement if you add the optional mic. The feedback destroyers are a good value but they won't do a true LT because they don't have the shelving filters. That said, if price is an issue, the feedback destroyers can be made to work just fine. Down low, room effects dominate, so the thing is to EQ the response as close to flat as you can get, using whatever you have, and ignore a bunch of theory.

Comment

• zacjones
        • Mar 2007

Oops.. it seems I edited my post and added some stuff about the denons after you guys responded.

Anyway would it make any sense to add a DEQ to the DCX and use both, would that be overkill, or would they get in the way of each other?

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

would it make any sense to add a DEQ to the DCX and use both
          No, choose whichever one suits your needs better.

Comment

• zacjones
            • Mar 2007

good. I have better things do with that $300, but I was just curious. thanks.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I think you have a little confusion going. Some people have answered already, but I'll add a few comments:

The Feedback Destroying Functions inside the BFD and FBQ are typically not used by us. They are used by pro sound installs to kill those annoying squeels you sometimes hear. What we do use is the built in Parametric EQ.

A Parmetric EQ is found in the BFD, FBQ, DEQ, and DCX.

The Parmetrci EQ in the DCX and DEQ are a step up from the BFD and FBQ, in that they have shelving filters which can be used for LT with a sealed sub to improve the low end response.

Typcially, the Parametric EQ on the Behringer gear is only used with subs. If you install it on your sub pre-out as most do, you will only be able to use it with your subs.

Typically, the Parametric EQ on the Behringer gear is NOT recommended for full range speakers, such as your left and right speaker.

The Denon receiver has an EQ that works on all your channels, and is more to correct the room for the range above the sub. It is somewhat limited, but used for very differnt functions than the Behringer. A lot of people use both.

I hope that clears some things up for you. I suggest a bit more reading up. If you're still confused, I'm guessing you're reading posts by equally confused people.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Paul W
                • Oct 2004

Though the two boxes provide some of the same features, they are for fundamentally different purposes...DEQ is a full range EQ, DCX is a crossover. The DEQ includes the very narrow EQ/Feedback Destroyer functionality sometimes used to address bass problems...the DCX does not provide the really narrow filters. Another handy DEQ feature is the 1/6 octave RTA with peak hold. I often plant the RTA microphone in a different spot in the room for each listening session and then look at the RTA peaks at the end of the session...after a while, it helps you develop a better mental picture of how the speakers are interacting with the room.

Denon is supposedly releasing the 3808 in late summer. HDMI 1.3 plus the new HD audio formats.
                Paul

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"