X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

TC Sounds TC-1000 question...

I've been playing with a speaker design in my head that I'm thinking about integrating a 10" sub in each cabinet. The TC-1000 is often recommended.

I modeled it in Unibox and am coming up with a F3 in the 60's in a sealed cabinet. Does that sound right? Is this driver only suitable in a ported cabinet? Finally, can a LT be applied to flatten the roll off for extended bass at 105+ db in the 20's?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Jim
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
    Finally, can a LT be applied to flatten the roll off for extended bass at 105+ db in the 20's?
    You're not going to get that from a pair of 10"s unless you're talking nearfield in the mid/high 20's.

Where are you going to put the drivers?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

A single sealed TC-1000 looks like it could produce a maximum of around 96 db at 20 hz when driven to Xmax in a sealed box. If you used two per side, you could get 102 db, and 3 db of room gain at 20 hz is not too much of a stretch of the imagination. One might even argue that with such long wavelengths, a single stereo pair might get you there if they're both playing the same bass signal.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer how much power it would take to get there, or if they could handle it thermally. One of the box sims could probably get you that information.

On a side note- those things would really be cranking away at nearly 2 inches peak to peak cone motion. I hope you wouldn't be crossing them over too high in such an application!
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

A caveat to my post- as Thomas pointed out about nearfield... Everything I said applies at 1 meter.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          You're not going to get that from a pair of 10"s unless you're talking nearfield in the mid/high 20's.

Where are you going to put the drivers?
          Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the quick reply. I hoped you'd jump in. The subs would go in the bottom 1/3 of pretty good size towers to fill in below 40 hz. I was figuring about 1 - 1 1/2 cu. ft. for them sealed. I'm only concerned about home theater. Music won't be an issue.

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by joecarrow
            A single sealed TC-1000 looks like it could produce a maximum of around 96 db at 20 hz when driven to Xmax in a sealed box. If you used two per side, you could get 102 db, and 3 db of room gain at 20 hz is not too much of a stretch of the imagination. One might even argue that with such long wavelengths, a single stereo pair might get you there if they're both playing the same bass signal.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer how much power it would take to get there, or if they could handle it thermally. One of the box sims could probably get you that information.

On a side note- those things would really be cranking away at nearly 2 inches peak to peak cone motion. I hope you wouldn't be crossing them over too high in such an application!
            Hi Joe,

Thanks for responding. This is all just in my mind at this point. I'm trying to fill in the bass of a 3-way for the high SPLs and ultra low bass that are present in movies. There would only be room for one 10" per cabinet at the most. I think my AV12's in the line arrays plus an additional AV15 I use for movies has me spoiled. I know that's pretty wimpy compared to what you guys have but it's plenty for me.

Jim

Comment

• joecarrow
              • Apr 2005

You really can't shoehorn a 12" in there? If you can throw enough power at it, maybe two opposing 10s?
              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by joecarrow
                You really can't shoehorn a 12" in there? If you can throw enough power at it, maybe two opposing 10s?
                Joe,

Not without creating a much larger cabinet than what I have an interest in doing. The bottom of each tower that could be allocated to the 10" subs would be 1 - 1 1/2 cubic feet. There would be a 10" sub in each of the left and right speakers. They'd be active and only used below 40 Hz.

This doesn't sound like it's feasible to get the results I want, at least with these drivers.

Jim

Comment

• kingpin
                  • Jun 2006

Do you have room for a larger driver if you mount it on the side of the cabinet.
                  Call me "MIKE"
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                  CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                  CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                  Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• dlneubec
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Hi Jim,

The RS265HF 10" doesn't look too bad. Set for "walls covered" in Unibox, a 23.2L cabinet (qtc .7) shows an F3 of about 40z, 106db max at 200w without exceeding xmax. You only have about 94db at 20hz, but with one on each side you'd be up to 100db.

Here is a Unibox graph showing it plus ported, PR or bandpass results.
                    Attached Files
                    Dan N.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Since this is just a "what if" project, I think I'll dwell on it a while. The single 10" front firing sub doesn't seem to add much bass to the design. I'll rethink that one.

Thanks for the responses!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"