X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Dialogue and the center channel

I'm doing a 3way CC right now and I was wondering what regions could be relatively high or low in level to enhance dialogue clarity? I have quite a bit of wiggle room in the overall FR so i wanted to account for this.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

In my experience, you want flat from ~100-800Hz for core vocal range and from 1k-3.5k for the really important inflections, etc. and from 3k-10k+ for the hard stops and "s" sounds.

So, um... flat.

I think additionally (if not more) important here is really working to minimize/eliminate diffraction as much as possible, and keeping driver behavior pistonic even if FR appears flat (soft cones and their "lush" sound work against intelligibility in a very big way). Both of these artifacts are most obvious in that 1-3k range where all the intelligibility is derived.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, I think a factor working against intellibility and generally smooth response is where these critters are placed most often, which pretty much guarantees issues with early arrival comb filtering and floor bounce modifications to early arrival response. All of these are VERY detrimental to frequency response smoothness and intelligibility.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kingpin
        • Jun 2006

How high does a speaker(horizontally laid out) have to be from the floor to minimalize or eliminate the effect of floor bounce?

Also, doesn't placing a speaker over top of your tv have the same effect as putting it under your tv?
        Just now, you are getting tv bounce.

Would placing a center speaker(horizontally) on a stand in front of the tv 14"-16" off the floor help reduce these issues?

Mike
        Call me "MIKE"
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
        CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
        CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
        "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
        Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
          • May 2005

Originally posted by kingpin
          How high does a speaker(horizontally laid out) have to be from the floor to minimalize or eliminate the effect of floor bounce?
          Dang! You were so close to having a line array. Even sitting way off axis a whisper is intelligible. No center, sub or rears here and after 2 1/2 years there is still no need for them. Oh yeah, and no floor bounce. Although the movies provide that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	hpnx0294.webp
Views:	23
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	944392
          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:48 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Rudy,
            Beautiful line arrays. That cabinet in the corner would not last in my room. My wife often worries about the shaking and rattles in adjacent rooms.

I generally agree with your opinion about centers. I've seen the question generate a near holywar threads before. In general, I think for off axis seats, they do seem to better anchor the dialog to the screen. Kingpin asked the question before, and I seem to remember cjd gave him some additional answers why a center is a good thing.

It would be nice if there were some general rules of thumb about when and where to place a center channel to help minimize floor bounce and comb filtering off the tv.

This is, for example, my center placement:

The center is pulled out so that it sticks out about 2" from the stand, and the tv sits back as far as I can get it on the stand. I went for under the TV because: 1) With a 50" screen, over the TV would be a greater offset between my ears and the speaker than under. 2) It doesn't show up in the photo, but running down the center of my room is the HVAC duct, do the center would have been just as close to this as the floor. 3) I figured that the carpet on the floor would help absorb some of the nasties that the drywall ceiling wouldn't.

I haven't done any listening with & without this TV, so I can't say how bad the TV corrupts the sound. It used to be above the old TV. I can't say I noticed a big, smack you in the face difference since I didn't do controlled testing. My center channel supposedly has a crossover that considers the TV (so I assume baffle step). I know I did listen to my mains once without the TV in place, and it gave the music significantly greater depth and feel. I just wish my room and view habits could accommodate a projection setup. Sigh.
            Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:49 Friday. Reason: Update image location
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
              I just wish my room and view habits could accomodate a projection setup. Sigh.
              Best two sounding scenario's I have had setup are FPTV with speakers well forward of the screen plane and rear wall, or flat panel display on wall with speakers well forward. Optimum height is a real issue...
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• crackyflipside
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Best two sounding scenario's I have had setup are FPTV with speakers well forward of the screen plane and rear wall, or flat panel display on wall with speakers well forward. Optimum height is a real issue...
                What's your opinion on AT screens and having the same speakers for LCR?
                -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• nelsondog
                  • Dec 2006

Look what Tom Nousaine's oppinion is on "center channel speakers". Link is near the bottom of the page... http://nousaine.com/

Comment

• Finleyville
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nelsondog
                    Look what Tom Nousaine's oppinion is on "center channel speakers". Link is near the bottom of the page... http://nousaine.com/

I receive an error when trying that link on Tom's site.

What was the summary of the article?
                    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

What was the summary of the article?
                      Short version, the finest speaker in the world, for all positions including the center, is a 6.5" MT crossed to a sub at 80 Hz. Pretty strange considering what an SPL-meister Tom is when it comes to subs and how SPL-limited a single 6.5" is at 80 Hz. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Comment

• Habs4life
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                        Pretty strange considering what an SPL-meister Tom is when it comes to subs and how SPL-limited a single 6.5" is at 80 Hz. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
                        Yes that is a bit strange coming from him
                        I have found that my single 6.5" 2way just does not cut it when comes to reproducing demanding sound tracks like Master and Commander etc.It works great for surround music,concert videos and normal dialog but it is too restricted dynamically on action movies.Therefore Im resorting to the dreaded horizontal MTM arrangement although with the offset tweeter.

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

And this is why WTMWs make sense.

Comment

• Habs4life
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by WillyD
                            And this is why WTMWs make sense.
                            Absolutely Will that is the way to go.If my MTM proves unsatisfactory then a WTMW will be the next step.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"