X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris7
    • Dec 2006

Zaph's blog is gone?

It looks like John Krutke has taken down his blog for good -- there's no longer any link to it from the main page. I know there's been a lot of fuss over at another forum (AudioCircle) and a little fuss over at Madisound recently, but I hope Danny's largely unwarranted criticism didn't trigger the end. I know I really enjoyed having that window into Zaph's mind.
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

I didn't realize how out of hand that thing gotten until I read his blog and went to AC out of curiousity. Pretty ugly. I suppose John figured it would be better (and more civil) to just remove the blog and hopefully move on.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Davey
      • Jan 2003

It's yet another data point that proves that offering opinions or test data or whatever really has no up-side in this crazy hobby/industry. There's always somebody to criticize, shout you down, offer snide remarks, shill for a competitor, etc, etc. I'm not sure who's more to blame in the Zaph/Danny situation, but it doesn't really matter. I've finally come to the opinion that there's much more to learn with practical experimentation yourself vice reading posts (most, but not all) on audio forums. It's an "industry" full of thin-skinned folks with ego's the size of the Goodyear blimp who act like big babies.

This forum is one of the few worth checking on a regular basis.

Davey.

Comment

• DearS
        • Jul 2005

No one to blame here. Its not our fault for the vantage point we have on life, and the decisions that naturally arise from those origins, we are not mistakes. I want to be honest. I feel sorry when any of us magnificent individuals treat each other with shame/abuse/critisism. :cry: Its naturally a sad truth. We each do have a response-ability to change our perspective/attitude though. We're ready to do so.

I hope Zaph is well, and those acting as perpetrators learn better and feel abundant joy.
        http://joy2meu.com/

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

This infuriates me. :M

I had just read Zaph's update the other day but had no idea it was this bad. :nonod:

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

Wow, this is a friggin shame- not that Zaph took down his blog (I'll miss it), but that people gave him so much crap that he felt compelled to do so.

Why can't we all just behave like adults? I feel that 90% of the interesting things he's put on his site were independently provable/disprovable, or else stated as opinions. Reading through the forum on AC is a laugh- "High strength polymer is NOT plastic"- come on! That's ridiculous!

Anyway, hoping that people on the internet will grow up would be fairly naive of me. Zaph, we feel for you.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• cotdt
              • Oct 2005

I really enjoyed reading Zaph's blog.

Comment

• Andy_G
                • Jul 2005

Those concerned have just probably killed what was, imho, a valuable resource, in that it was one person's efforts to compare drivers WITHOUT commercial bias.

Comment

• cotdt
                  • Oct 2005

now i can understand why discussion of vendor's products are banned on this forum. there is just too much hotheadedness and a need to defend one's products by putting down the critic. i don't think zaph was throwing out misinformation at all and most of what he said about danny's products are correct. maybe there were some minor inaccuracies but what do you expect.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                    • Nov 2004

As if today being Monday wasn't bad enough. I'll miss you, Zaph Blog :cry:

Comment

• nerd of nerds
                      • Sep 2005

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I think danny richie is in for some bestiality spam...

Seriously, maybe he doesn't know how much we appreciate his site? Maybe he doesn't know that there are people sitting there right beside him chuckling to themselves "Those silly full range tube amp people"...

Or maybe he's just revamping his blog so its easier for him to post. IIRC it was just an html file that he changed every so often...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Well, I hope this isn't the end of John's blog- whether you agree with everything he says or not, he's an intelligent hard working guy, and unlike Danny, he's not in this to make a buck- just for the excperience, knowledge, and community.

I've only had time to see a small amount of the discussion at Madisound, and nothing anywhere else, but it's very unfortunate things have taken this turn.

Frankly, I think that if you're "in the business" you have to hold yourself to a higher level of conduct if you intend to particpate also in discussions at DIY sites. I'll let everyone else decide if they think Danny adheres to that standard.

Rick Craig does, IMO- others I know like Charles Hansen of Ayre do also.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Must be something in the air, bringing out the worst in some people. Anyone that saw the other meltdown at PE recently will understand. Though I couldn't get past like eight words into the first sentence so I think I spared myself the worst.

It's funny, PE and Madisound both tolerate discussion of products they don't carry and keep an even head when people blow up at them and... well. Glad I send my business their way.

C
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

Wow, just reading the first hit of audiocircle's search on "krutke" made my brain go spinning.

I'll definitely miss Zaph's blog.
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• dawaro
                              • Feb 2005

This is not the first time Danny has taken this position. There was a post and an e-mail that was sent to a member of this forum that was along the same lines. More or less it said his products were superior and anyone that thought differently were wrong. I have been sworn to secrecy so I can reveal the details but I thought people should understand his history to understand what is going on now.
                              I look at it like an auto manufacture being upset because consumer reports gave them a bad review...
                              I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• dlneubec
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

It's sad that someone who gives of his time freely, to the general benefit of the DIY community, has to undergo this type attach from someone (and his apologizers) who is primarily in it for the money. I know one thing for certain, I'll never deal with GR in any way :nonod: .

I would imagine this whole thing is going to backfire and GR. People will not forget this, especially if it means the loss of one of the few independent reviewers that the DIY community can depend on. How many of us can afford either the time or the money to gather all the drivers he has tested for each project we consider. What a valuable resource lost, not to mention the well explained, documented/published DIY projects Zaph provides.
                                Dan N.

Comment

• Licinius
                                  • Sep 2006

Not applying to any party or even the latest brouhaha at all, but I for one just get sick of fanboyism in any form when it comes to audio, its bad enough in car audio, but when the poo flinging is encroaching ever more so into home audio it makes me want to YEEEAARGH.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

I was mostly shocked at how 'down-the-middle' the fight was split. It seemed pretty much a clean break of the diy'ers/techies vs the consumers (for lack of better discreptor). I didn't read anything on Madisound. I am a mod on AC, so I watched the fight in case I had to step in.

I can only hope that John Krutke doesn't forget his audience. It wasn't the diy'ers that rebelled against him, in fact they came to his defense. So, IMHO, he should carry on and ignore everyone else.

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
                                      • Mar 2005

I have a suggestion for Zaph.
                                      IMHO, Having a driver listed on Zaph's web site is a privilege. It constitutes free advertising in a format that would be very difficult for a manufacture to obtain at any price.
                                      The policy I would institute is to remove all tested drivers from any manufacture that disputed the results. Then Simply state that driver tests for this manufacture have been removed at their request. I think that this simple, factual statement would speak volumes. :T

Best Wishes;

Doug

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                        • May 2004

Good suggestion, Doug. Speaking of speaking volumes; it's telling that John did not remove the GR M130 / Fountek JP3 project.

John, if you're reading, you are a class act in my book. I've learned a ton from your work and, for that, I'm very grateful. I'm sorry to see the blog go. I'm very glad the tests and projects remain. Please keep up the excellent work.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                          • Jan 2006

I hope this whole thing doesn't sour Zaph on sharing his designs and what not.
                                          It's a shame how people treat each other.

I just browsed through the AC and madisound forum, yikes!
                                          Two things that stood out to me one Danny's qouted email sounded as though John had know idea what he was talking about thats probably where it started.
                                          The other is one of the biggest problem with written dialog. You have no idea how it was really meant.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2002

Oh man. If I were trying to think up a comment to really tick Zaph off, I don't think I could do any better than Danny's email: "No offense meant, but I see you as very early in the learning curve with some of this stuff and I'd like to help you." And then he's 'oh so shocked' when Zaph bites back in somewhat plainer English.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Doug Lockwood
                                              I have a suggestion for Zaph.
                                              IMHO, Having a driver listed on Zaph's web site is a privilege. It constitutes free advertising in a format that would be very difficult for a manufacture to obtain at any price.
                                              The policy I would institute is to remove all tested drivers from any manufacture that disputed the results. Then Simply state that driver tests for this manufacture have been removed at their request. I think that this simple, factual statement would speak volumes. :T

Best Wishes;

Doug
                                              VERY good suggestion. As someone who has bought drivers solely based on Zaph's tests and recommendations, I agree 100%.
                                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• WillyD
                                                • Feb 2006

Agreed. In the last 6.5-7" midwoofer test, Mach5 had their 6.5" driver tested and it did surprisingly well considering its pricepoint. That is just one example. If it wasn't for Zaph, we wouldn't have any definitive proof of how it compared to other drivers. It is these tests that Zaph provides to the public that are so helpful.

I hope he doesn't stop, because I thoroughly enjoy his tests, builds, and blog.

Comment

• Davey
                                                  • Jan 2003

Yep, Danny's email is dripping in condescension and then he seems surprised with John's reaction.

Davey.

Comment

• nerd of nerds
                                                    • Sep 2005

940-592-3400 <--GR research phone number taken from their website.

muahahahahahahahahaha opcorn:

Comment

• speedle
                                                      • Dec 2006

Well, all I've read is the AC posts and some of the ones here. I can't stand reading the forums at PE or Madisound because they don't use the type of software that let's my puny brain make sense of the conversation.

Anyway, that said, the internet is still a wild and woolly place, with no definitive standard of truth ANYWHERE. All we have to go is our own ears and those of people we trust by proxy. As far as I can see, at least some of the heat did generate some light, and I learned something from it. Took ALOT of reading though!

I hope the zaph audio site stays up and I get a chance to try some of his designs for myself.

Comment

• Dan B
                                                        • Feb 2005

knuckleheads?

Now that hurts!

Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dan B
                                                          Yep saw that a few days ago. Danny is becoming publicly verbally abusive about us and the designs posted here. (adolescent behavior at best). Since I wasn't interested in a cat fight, I've chosen not to comment about some of his past antics. But I just might have a change of heart.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cotdt
                                                            • Oct 2005

and "nutlickers" lol

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                              • Apr 2005

Wow, this is getting entirely out of hand. I can't believe how worked up people are getting over this.

The Dayton RS drivers are "veiled"? I guess one man's "veiled" is another man's "lacking distortion".

I had typed a big rant in response to this, but I don't feel that it's appropriate or productive.
                                                              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• WillyD
                                                                • Feb 2006

I guess one man's "veiled" is another man's "lacking distortion".
                                                                Kind of like the preference for ribbons that some have?

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                                  • Apr 2005

I'm actually still undecided about that.

As far as I know, it's sort of undetermined in what way the off-axis response affects the perceived sound of a speaker. The general consensus is that abrupt changes in directivity are noticeable and a detriment. It's also self evident that wider dispersion will increase room interaction. Right now it appears something approaching omnidirectional can sound really pleasant in-room. Ribbon tweeters can provide this due to their limited width. That's one behavior of ribbons that I think could provide a psychoacoustic advantage over domes.
                                                                  -Joe Carrow

Comment

• WillyD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

Ahh.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Now that hurts!
                                                                      http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/...39383#msg339383

I cant believe Danny sounds like this. I have never heard him act this way before. I don't spend much time over at the AC forum. Very,Very unprofessional IMO. I had contacted Danny on the past and thought he was real helpful, but now I don't know what to think.
                                                                      He almost reminds me of guys I went to school with that thought "mine plays louder therefor better".

I haven't heard either design referred to the GR MTMWW or the Nat p's. I have been planning on building the Nat p's for awhile but due to an illness in the family I haven't begun yet.

To call everyone here "knuckleheads" is totally uncalled for. I was half expecting him to say that "Jon Marsh is clearly new to speaker building or Xo design" Like he did in his email to Zaph.

Audio in general has allot of personal "taste" in it and everyone should respect that, Danny clearly does not.

Example: one of my friends claims I never turn my system up. I usually listen to movies at -10 to -06 under reference that seems quite loud to me I would say around 90-100 db depending on movie. But to him I am a p*ssy who cant turn it up. I always counter with I like to be able to hear and want to be able to hear for quite some time yet. I also want my system to last so I can get my moneys worth.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

Thomas, ignore him. You know the old saying, "when you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it." Danny has changed his style in the interest of better marketing. He used to insult people directly and he ruffled some feathers. Now he does a smarmy 'oh you poor deluded fool, I'm your friend, let me help you' act. I liked the old Danny better -- it was more honest.

Comment

• JRT
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                                          Yep saw that a few days ago. Danny is becoming publicly verbally abusive about us and the designs posted here. (adolescent behavior at best). Since I wasn't interested in a cat fight, I've chosen not to comment about some of his past antics. But I just might have a change of heart.....
                                                                          Nothing to be gained in that. Let it go.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 1140

I have been called lots of things many times in my life, but never a "Zaph Nutlicker". Is that a good thing, or a bad thing (remember, english is not my first language!)?

An interesting thing - I kept reading references to the RS28a, the RS180, and the Natalies, in that thread and in others I saw when I searched for "Krutke". I wonder if those guys know Zaph doesn't have any project up with the Dayton RS line. :roll:

People are strange, I guess.
                                                                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 8938

#39
                                                                              Jon, Thomas and Lex, please check your e-mail(s) and get back to me.

Smell the smoke? I've been thinking again. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2002
                                                                                • 3791

#40
                                                                                I wonder if those guys know Zaph doesn't have any project up with the Dayton RS line.
                                                                                Too funny. And they don't seem to have noticed that Zaph's favorite projects lately use the Scanspeak split paper cones. One's on his page and another was mentioned on this forum but hasn't made it to his page yet.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 8938

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by fjhuerta
                                                                                  I have been called lots of things many times in my life, but never a "Zaph Nutlicker". Is that a good thing, or a bad thing (remember, english is not my first language!)?
                                                                                  Being from Texas, english isn't my first language either. But, I can safely say that the inference there is not a positive one. Just consider the source of the comment and laugh it off.
                                                                                  .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Mark K
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2002
                                                                                    • 388

#42
                                                                                    Wow,

Didn't see that thread on Audiocircle till now.

I actually had a long post typed in last night, then accidentally hit the browser back button. Deleted my post. Probably a sign from God.

I guess I should take another look at the M130 and Danny's new driver in a detailed, comparitive sense.

'nuff said.
                                                                                    www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Davey
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2003
                                                                                      • 355

#43
                                                                                      Mark,

If you need some pointers and tips on testing drivers feel free to give Danny a call.

Davey.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2002
                                                                                        • 3791

#44
                                                                                        Turbo. "I thought that 2 87db drivers in series would be 90db, and 93db in parallel."
                                                                                        Danny. "That's correct. Maybe then you won't have to driver those lower woofers quite as hard to keep up."
                                                                                        Oh my. The 'expert' doesn't even know how to calculate proper series/parallel sensitivity. And he wants to 'educate' Zaph on proper measurements.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 5673

#45
                                                                                          All I know about this whole issue is what I have read in this thread.

Other than that, Zaph has shared his work freely with us, and posted here with valuable input.

My biggest concern is that this entire hullabaloo does not affect our community here.

It may be time for our moderators put this to rest. Sometimes you must sacrifice the limb to save the body..........
                                                                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"