X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonar
    • Feb 2006

stripping epoxy off of a coil

I am making the Zaph B3S design and as part of the design, I had to unwind a .1 mH coil down to a .08 mH.

so now the end of the wire on the coil is not the nicely factory stripped and tinned end, but epoxy coated wire.

I sanded the end with emory cloth before soldering, but I am not sure that I really got the job done (or how to tell really).

does anybody have a recommended procedure for stripping the coating in this situation?
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gonar
    I am making the Zaph B3S design and as part of the design, I had to unwind a .1 mH coil down to a .08 mH.

so now the end of the wire on the coil is not the nicely factory stripped and tinned end, but epoxy coated wire.

I sanded the end with emory cloth before soldering, but I am not sure that I really got the job done (or how to tell really).

does anybody have a recommended procedure for stripping the coating in this situation?

You can use the edge of a knife to scrape it then sand paper 60-100 should do the trick.

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

It'll turn kind of shiny, and solder will flow onto it fairly well if it's stripped and hot enough. It's not that hard to do, but if you use too fine of a grit then it would be hard to get through the enamel.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• JonP
        • Apr 2006

I've always just scraped thouroghly with an Xacto knife or similar. If you scrape well, I don't think sanding is needed.

Looking closely will tell you if you've got it all off. You really do need to scrape all around to get most off for a good joint. Luckily, we use larger wire sizes!

Some forms of insulating enamel are designed to burn off as you solder, but that's usually found on finer wires than this.

Comment

• technimac
          • Feb 2005

I agree with using a knife to remove the bulk of the coating.

What works well for me is using the end of a utility knife blade.

After snapping off a section of dull blade, there is a sharp, right-angled edge left on the opposite side of where the blade is scored.
          This edge is perfect for scraping off the lacquer coating, and it doesn't dull the "sharp" blade of the knife (am I Scottish or what?).

Finally, as noted above, I use fine sandpaper to remove any residual coating and then it's good to solder.

Hope this helps...

Click image for larger version

Name:	stripwires004.webp
Views:	22
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	943963
          Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:46 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
          "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• Bri
            • Dec 2006

I just used 60 grit sandpaper. It's pretty obvious when you get all of the enamel off.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"