X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spanky Ham
    • Jul 2006

Interesting and Inexpensive Wave Guide

Thylantyr pointed out the Elsinore speaker over on AVS. It uses a wave guide that he calls a diffraction wedge. I thought it was a unique way of making a wave guide. Any thoughts?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This is a somewhat primitive approach to a waveguide, I would like to see what the off axis plots look like- that he lines this with felt to kill reflections gives some hints about issues with the behavior.

But a lot of thought and effort obviously went into this, it's just frustrating to read considering the information he's left out so far...

I think the appellation "diffraction wedge" may be much more appropriate than waveguide. What I would want to see is a series of on axis and off axis plots (horizontally and vertically, since it's not symmetric) similar to those posted by others for various driver/waveguide combinations, or like the plots I took last weekend for the BMS4540 and DDS ENG-1.

This is the raw response, before shaping by the crossover; in this case, the target would be additional attenuation below 10 kHz of the driver level, some shaping at 2 kHz, then a steep crossover around 1.8 kHz.

These curves were taken between 0 and 45 deegrees off axis; at the outside range of the waveguide, not that the basic FR profile remains largely the same, just the level drops going off axis.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

if one wanted to get creative, instead of a pyramid like waveguide with four sides, you could add additional sides, 8, 16, 32, .... estimating a cone with successively smaller and smaller sides...kinda like calculus. Might be more work than its worth though.

Comment

• timber_mg
        • Jan 2007

Well it's kinda like adding foam to the sides of a B&W tweeter to make it palatable in anything other than the deadest of rooms. He will suffer a bit of diffraction at the transition but otherwise it may well be an improvement above just a normal tweeter.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"