X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

Anybody interested in a wm/tw Kit?

Many thanks to Chessis Woodworks in Rochester for this masterpiece!
    Sometimes the old adage is not true -"If you want it done right, do it yourself".
    No way would I have been able to duplicate this quality.
    Thanks to kgveteran for turning me onto him. Adam also put a nice put a nice access panel in the back to mount a crossover to.
    On a side note - this thing is HUGE!
    Attached Files
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by digital desire
    Very nice!

Nah, not really.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• digital desire
      • Dec 2006

Anybody interested in a wm/tw Kit?

Running into a serious WAF issue.
      Cabinet is a beautiful execution of the design, all the other parts, drivers, crossovers, terminal cup, just about everything, all ready to go.
      This is the DM seas version.

That didn't take long, eh? h:
      Attached Files
      Peter
      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

Shoot, I had the same problem! I bought a 0.38 cu ft parts express cabinet, and the little lady asks, "What is that thing on my television?" :roll:

You win some, you lose some. Bless our wives and girlfriends for putting up with what they do- especially Colorado Tom's.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

Yeah, the NERVE of me bringing that into the house!
          The towers will not be a problem, they will have about the same footprint of our existing speakers.

I am willing to take a little hit here, so it may be deal for someone; plus you will not have to source all the parts.
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

You should have seen my wife's face this evening when she saw the quad RS 15" HO sub in the living room! It's freakin' huge. Luckily for me this is for a guy in Orlando. It does rock the house though!

Comment

• oxcartdriver
              • Apr 2006

Funny, my wife said NFW to putting the sonotube sub anywhere, but the basement.

She also said the WMTW center channel would only be allowed under the Monitor/screen. To much gravitational potential with the WMTW on top of anything.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Why not put that under the TV?

My wife has gotten to the point where she doesn't challenge me when I say the WWMTM towers are my "cute little speakers"

Comment

• Gir
                  • Dec 2006

Man, you think you guys have it rough. My mother wouldn't let me pick out bookshelf speakers that were only 6x10 inches! "They're too big!" Needless to say my parents own a crappy Sony system.

I nearly cried.
                  -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

I'm near Rochester, how much if you don't mind me asking? Right now I have more time than money, so I make my own cabinets, but if the price is right.....

Comment

• kingpin
                      • Jun 2006

Yeah, the NERVE of me bringing that into the house!
                      The towers will not be a problem, they will have about the same footprint of our existing speakers.

I am willing to take a little hit here, so it may be deal for someone; plus you will not have to source all the parts.
                      Yup, the single life is where it's at. :W
                      Show her a picture of what I am building and say.
                      "See honey, this is actually quite small compared to what everyone else is building". :B

Mike
                      Call me "MIKE"
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by kingpin
                        ...everyone else...

lol

Then you could show her those crazy horn loaded, custom 4-ways that look like small apartment buildings, complete with external tube amps for each driver, and then you mention that some people build really big speakers, not just small 7-driver 4-ways like most "everyone else" builds. :E

You just need to shift your SAF/WAF's perspective "a bit". Reality need not intrude in this process, by the way.

lol
                        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• mtnickel
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kingpin
                          Yup, the single life is where it's at. :W
                          Show her a picture of what I am building and say.
                          "See honey, this is actually quite small compared to what everyone else is building". :B

Mike
                          Just make sure she knows what you're talking about when you start the sentence...
                          "See honey, this is actually quite small compared to what everyone else has"
                          :lol:

Comment

• Nathan P
                            • Mar 2006

Show her the pic of that house that had the subs in the floor, with the giant horn things (Forgot the name of the system). Underneath the theatre room, there was a giant concrete horn system with 8 or so drivers with vents coming up to let the sound out. Would love to hear it :E

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

No seriously, this is a problem why? I don't understand.

You *can* put it under. Would work fine. It IS quite imposing up top especially with the window behind, not really ideal. Go under. Under. You'll be glad you did. it's not that it's big, it's that it LOOKS big where it currently sits.

The real problem is you have a dinky TV. What you need to do is get a front projector with a nice big screen so the speaker is smaller. :P

But, as a fallback my MTM has been used with good results as a center match to the towers. it's not so much smaller that I don't worry, however. I think you're going to run into troubles with anything larger than a few inches high and maybe eighteen inches wide in this case, it'll just look BIG on top of that TV otherwise.

C

Comment

• kgveteran
                                • Oct 2005

Sometimes the old adage is not true -"If you want it done right, do it yourself".
                                No way would I have been able to duplicate this quality.
                                Thanks to kgveteran for turning me onto him. Adam also put a nice put a nice access panel in the back to mount a crossover to.

Way to go ! Adam does great work and I find the price is not only reasonable, but just what the doctor ordered.Congrats :T
                                Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• digital desire
                                  • Dec 2006

I feel real stupid that I did not forsee the problem this would generate... I should have mocked up a box w/ same dimesions and plopped it up there to see how it would sell.
                                  I would consider under the tv except for two things. 1) the seas tweeter is not shielded and from my experiments has to be 9" away from the CRT, which is exactly where it is when on top. On the bottom, it is closer.
                                  And 2) it would put the tv up to higher viewing angle.

cjd, I would have to look at the thread again, but the MTM you dsigned would fit in a pe 1ft box, wont it? I also recall reading that a shielded tweeter could be swapped in painlessly?

I have just under $500 into the center alone here, I really would like to make it work, but it would cost me "more" than the $500, all you married folk will know what that means....
                                  Peter
                                  Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                    • Jun 2006

If it helps, I had my 27" CRT right on top of this speaker with no ill effects.

Jim

Comment

• Wilk
                                      • Oct 2006

Would it be all that bad to run the box upside down under the TV? As in tweeter on the bottom, and the Mid on the top. Obviously not optimum, but better than scartching the whole project.

Comment

• WillyD
                                        • Feb 2006

Peter - you should be able to just stick a sheet of metal between the two, if you have problems.

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

The Seas shielded tweeters are direct drop-in replacments. INCLUDING this center.

And, you would need a different cabinet under the TV, I would not expect you to just put the TV on the speaker, and the speaker on your current cabinet.

C

Comment

• digital desire
                                            • Dec 2006

Hmm. The only sheilded tweeter I could find @ madisound were the soft dome ones, h1211. I would think that would be a whole 'nother deal? Is there a sheilded version of the h1212 available somewhere?
                                            I am going to try putting this under the tv to see if I can sell it that way. I will need to make a "C" channel type of shelf that extends the width of the tv stand, lays flat across the top of the cabinet, and maybe a grill all across the front of it. TV base height would be about 43". Kinda high, but maybe if I dont mention that....
                                            Thanks for the suggestions.
                                            Peter
                                            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• digital desire
                                              • Dec 2006

Tried the TV on top of the speaker.
                                              Sore neck city.
                                              Worse, the h1212 most definitely affects the picture tube, so that is out.
                                              I set it back up top for now. Maybe we'll get used to it. I put the old cc on top of the proposed one, after a while I'll take that off, and it will seem TINY.
                                              Peter
                                              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cjd
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2004

I'll have to check but I think the soft-dome Seas should drop into these. You using Dennis's crossover?

And, yeah... speaker on your cabinet with the TV on top is not going to be comfortable.

C

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"