X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bri
    • Dec 2006

Modula MTM build underway

Starting a thread for my Modula MTM build. Not much to see yet, but more is on the way soon! :T

Finished a set of crossovers so I thought I'd do a quick smoke test. Hooked everything up with alligator clips and played a test CD I made with tones from 100Hz - 12KHz. Played the low-pass/high-pass separately then put them together. Sounds like everything is working, although the crossover attenuation isn't as dramatic as I thought it would be. Going to hook up a wavetek signal generator (or maybe just a laptop) and my ECM8000 mic this week to take some measurements. Are free-air measurements even worth anything or should I wait to put them in a baffle/full box?

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:21 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They're probably fine.

For a final check load the drivers into the boxes and run temporary leads out the port while the XOs are sitting outside the box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bri
      • Dec 2006

Well I made my circle jig today out of some plexiglass and did a test recess/hole in a scrap board. Everything seems ready to go for a big hole-cutting fest next weekend, but when test fitting a driver and working with my gasket tape I realized that I don't know the best way get a seal. I'm using high density foam weatherstrip tape, 3/16" thick x 3/8" wide, and it doesn't curve around the driver flange very easily. What I've done so far is cut it into several pieces each about 2" long and just laid them down end-to-end and tried to bend them a bit. Doesn't look like it will provide the seal I was hoping for. How do you guys use this stuff?

Thanks!
      Brian

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I don't.

My recommnedation is to put a thin coat of RTV glue on the baffle mounting surface, let it skin over pretty solid, say an hour or two, then mount the drivers. Drill the holes before using the RTV, and use a toothpick to clear the holes after spreading it on. Get's you a nice smooth airtight seal with minimum hassle.

Foam weather strip works OK on 10", 12", and bigger woofers, but isn't very practical for smaller drivers, IMO.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bri
          • Dec 2006

Thanks for the tip Jon. I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"