X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Sound and Salt...

Funny videos, fail videos, funny pictures, funny galleries, funny links, flash games, jokes, caption contests, photoshop contests

Interesting effect that soundwaves have on salt particles.
    Figured it would be right up the alley of some of the DIY guys interested in science.
    ~Nick
  • KJP
    • Nov 2004

Its not an effect of sound on the salt. The sound is vibrating the panel and as the frequency changes the vibration of the panel changes. The salt is poured on so you can see with your eyes what the sound is doing to the panel. The patterns are all related to resonant modes in the panel related to comparing its physical size with the frequency being used at the time. Pretty neat to watch.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

It's interesting that the major shifts in pattern are at half-steps Not surprising really.

And, of course, it looks like ripple tank results because it IS.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

You know, I guess this could be an interesting way to look at your finished cabinet and decide, "I want to put another brace THERE".

If you played a bunch of tones and the salt would never stay put on a certain spot, then that spot would be moving a lot, and bracing would fix it in place better. It seems like a quick and dirty way to add braces just where you need them without doing any crazy FEA.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The next best brace will always be "in the middle"

Though a smart person will go slightly off center.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Oh ok, so thats caused by the the panel resonanting at certain frequencies. I'm guessing each pattern corresponds to a different harmonic?

I just thought it was neat!
            ~Nick

Comment

• KJP
              • Nov 2004

It is neat. :T

Comment

• Nathan P
                • Mar 2006

So could everyone that's listened to it so far hear it all the way up? What frequency do you think it got up to? I had to turn my speakers down because it was hurting my ears when it got to the highest ones lol. I heard it all the way.

Comment

• cobbpa
                  • Apr 2005

This reminds me..my uncle is an engineer at an ultrasonic silicon manufacturing facility. It's an interesting process; one I don't totally understand. Something about chemical slurries & sending certain frequencies through the pieces to break them...I've toured the facility, but that was years ago; before I knew what a hertz was

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"