X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

It made a difference.
    I was ~8db short because I left the Sub channel connected to an unused amp.
    So it detects an impedance at the other end of the cable and changes its behavior based on that? Interesting.

So after all this time, yes Saurav you do need to use the passive XO.
    Well, my DIY XO (the one I mentioned, I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to) was active. I replaced it with the 2310, and the 2310 sounds better It's also a lot more flexible in terms of playing with XO points... mine was all 'hard-coded'.

So I could resurrect that and put that before the woofer amp, or stick a cap or C+R passive line-level filter before the woofer amp, or stick a filter before the drivers. I think the last one would cost the most in terms of needing large caps/coils, right? I'd need to implement a ~80Hz high-pass.

Or buy a 3400. Anyone wants a 2310?

Actually, I should wait till you get your 3400 and make sure it works right

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
      My family room system has all the electronics after the pre-amp mounted in an equipment rack in the basement. The rack is directly under the speakers. Given the long IC runs, this system has all balanced connections, and I don't have a sound card with XLR inputs...
      Thanks Thomas.

I really appreciate you making the effort to test it for us. I’ve always been happy with the results of the CX2310 for my 2ch and some others that I setup. The results have now put my mind at ease.
      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• JimS
        • Dec 2005

Hi all - resurrecting this thread from the dead 'cause I'm about to need it . . . and being a bit lazy so I don't have to make extra patch cables if I don't need to . . .

Already have a cx2310 in hand to be used for the arvos to cross b/t the MTMs and woofers. I was planning on also using the sub-out to cross low (~40-50ish) to a sonosub and use that setting for both movies & music.

It appears from this thread that the cx2310 does not HP the woofers when sub out is used so they would not be adequately protected for movies. Is that the case & has anyone seen yet if the 3400 solves this?

Has anyone checked if the 25hz cut on the inputs affect the sub out as well or just the lows? If it doesn't affect the sub out this might be sufficient, otherwise I'll keep the sub xover in my processor for the moment and just use the 2310 as a 2-way . . .

Thanks!!

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Yes, the 3400 high-passes the woofers. It took care of what I needed. As far as I could tell, the 25Hz cut on the 2310 only affected the stereo outputs, not the summed sub output. But my sub isn't the best setup to test that in

In my room, I had a dip in the mains' output at ~70Hz, and a ~13dB peak at ~32Hz. Even with the 25Hz cut, the mains produced too much output in that frequency range. With the 3400, I have the mains crossed at around 70Hz and the sub filling in that gap, the mains are pretty quiet by 30Hz, and there's EQ on the sub. It works OK for a completely non-treated room.

Since you have another sub XO, you could just try both and see which solution works better. You'll be cascading XOs... maybe put the 2310 first, so the MTMs only see one XO device.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"