X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNRRClassic
    • Nov 2006

3 Way using RS270, 150, 28A ???

Out of curiousity, has anyone attempted a relatively traditional three way with the RS 10", 5", and tweeter? I know the crossover would probably cost a penny, but it would be interesting. Certainly the sensitivity wouldn't be as good as WWMMT or WWMTM, but the form factor and SAF could be appealing.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Meh.There is no WWMMT, just WWMT

I'm not sure the box size for a sealed RS270 is smaller than for a pair of RS225's. Very close. Don't consider porting the 270, it gets huge.

So.

Um..

Why?

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• TNRRClassic
      • Nov 2006

Well, one "why" of the matter might be impedence. One 8 ohm RS270 would help keep the impedence up as compared to a pair of 8 ohm RS225's wired in parallel. I had a look at your three way RS tower, for example, and the impedence seems to run about 3 ohms for the most part. That is in no way a complaint against the design, but there are applications where a bit higher impedence is desirable.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

If you have gear at the level these speakers run, the impedance won't be an issue.

Sure, it could be done. I don't think you'll get a size advantage for the loss in sensitivity no matter how you spin things. There may even be someone out there that has. If impedance were the biggest worry, I'd switch to the 4ohm RS225's and a Seas tweeter in a variant on the TMWW towers.

In fact, I'm eyeballing a TMW for use in my HT (near-wall/on-wall if not corner loaded) but 4ohm 225 woof, probably dome mid and tweeter.

Lots of stuff out there. I think Roman B has a design that's along the lines you've described, but not those specific drivers.

C

Comment

• TNRRClassic
          • Nov 2006

As you may have surmised, I would be interested in them for HT, as I have a HT receiver that happily does 4 ohms, but I would hate to push at 2.5-3 ohms.
          I suspected you would bring up the sensitivity issue, as I had already envisioned that as a sticking point to the design.

As for your sugestion, when you say use the 4 ohm RS225, do you mean wire two in series?

Thank you for the input.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Well, I have two thoughts on the 4ohm 225. One use is, of course, two in series.

The other is to use a single 225 in a design that does not require baffle step, which is how my own cramped room is likely to run when it comes to HT speakers. So I would go with a single 225 in that case, still run ~90dB+ sensitivity. 4ohm still.

Only the big WWMTM towers should really give your receiver an issue. If you are looking at those for your HT, you're still gonna go with a receiver?! :P The WWMT's should be just fine. I suspect the WWMTM's would be, for that matter. Not much SAF on average, though there are a few of us lucky enough...

And, hopefully I'm not coming across too grumpy - it's become evident as the day has worn on that I am exceedingly grumpy. No idea why.

C

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"