X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamt
    • Dec 2006

Building Dayton RS WMTW Center

I started building the RS WMTW CC speaker today. I got all my pieces cut out and everything is nice and square. I messed up on cutting the line instead of leaving it on the two side pieces but everything else looks real good. I will cut new side pieces tomorrow.

I have some questions about box construction now. What router bits will I need for all the cutouts, inlay and corner roundings? Also, I am curious as to the front baffle cut outs. Do you glue the front baffle pieces together first before you cut out the speaker openings or do you make the cut outs and then glue them together?

Thanks
    Adam
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by adamt
    I started building the RS WMTW CC speaker today. I got all my pieces cut out and everything is nice and square. I messed up on cutting the line instead of leaving it on the two side pieces but everything else looks real good. I will cut new side pieces tomorrow.

I have some questions about box construction now. What router bits will I need for all the cutouts, inlay and corner roundings? Also, I am curious as to the front baffle cut outs. Do you glue the front baffle pieces together first before you cut out the speaker openings or do you make the cut outs and then glue them together?

Thanks
    Adam
    You will need the following bits:
    1/4" straight bit, preferably a spiral bit, for driver recess and holes
    45 degree chamfer bit to cut the driver reliefs on the backside of the baffle
    3/4" roundover bit for the baffle edges
    flush trim bit to trim the veneer

I cut an inner and an outer baffle for mine. The inner fits inside the top/bottom/ sides, the outer was cut 1/4" larger than the enclosure and trimmed with a flush bit to the exact size.

You can look at the Exodus Audio LCR instructions to give you an idea of the enclosure construction. This is the design the original enclosure was based on.
    LCR Instructions
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• adamt
      • Dec 2006

45 degree chamfer bit to cut the driver reliefs on the backside of the baffle
      3/4" roundover bit for the baffle edges
      This post will really show my ignorance on the subject-
      I'm going to take a stab at it anyways-
      I don't know what driver reliefs are- but when you say chamfer the reliefs-
      Does that mean I chamfer the cutout hole on the inside baffle?

I have to apologize-my terminology is still relatively poor on ths subject.

Another question on the baffle edges that you say to roundover. Would I just roundover all the edges on the inside baffle?

One more question-
      What about the cutouts on the baffles. Should I glue them together first then make the speaker cutouts- or make the speaker cut outs then glue them together?

Thanks again-
      Adam

Comment

• yousuredo2
        • Jun 2006

you want to roundover the outside edges of the outer baffle only...
        chamfer the inside of the speaker holes on the inside baffle only...
        My System
        ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
        ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
        ~ Onkyo tx sr805
        ~ Sony PS.3
        ~ Xbox 360
        ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
        ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
        ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
        ~ Behringer ep2500
        ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

You can either chamfer or round over the inside of the speaker holes. It really doesn't make a huge difference either way. I've done both. The point is to allow the backwave from the driver to flow unimpeded.

Comment

• kingpin
            • Jun 2006

Left side is the front of the baffle with the driver recessed.
            Right side is the back of the baffle with the 3/4" chamfer plus a little sanding to allow the driver to breath.

Images not available

Mike
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 10:02 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
            Call me "MIKE"
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• adamt
              • Dec 2006

Thanks for the pictures.

Is that a double front baffle?

I'm going to take some pictures of my progress in a little while. I;ll post them here as soon as I get back.

Comment

• adamt
                • Dec 2006

The box is just dry fitted together with clamps in these pictures. I put the bottom two in to see if these imperfections need to be fixed before I move on.

I tried cutting the H pieces with a band saw-bad idea. Guess I'll have to buy a jig saw after all.

Images not available

I'm getting closer
                Thanks for putting up for my ignorance
                Adam
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 10:03 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• adamt
                  • Dec 2006

I am planning on gluing the box together tomorrow.

Will the errors that I have shown in the previous post be a problem for me down the road if I don't fix them now? How much forgiveness can you get out of a good trim job with the router?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"