X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

WMTW, WWMT or WMTMW

I'm very satisfied with my system but the upgrade-devil makes more frequent visits... :M My current system can be seen here
    I've been studying distortion test for some time and realized that the W22 isn't comfortable with a 1400hz crossover. The same goes for the Neo3 I guess, but I can't hear it unless playing at VERY high levels. I'm thinking about putting a RS52 between the mids and tweeter but I'm don't know what configuration would be best, WWMT or WMTW? Maybe even WMTMW would work? I think 800hz and 3khz would make nice crossover points. The lower crossover will be active while the MT will be passive.

I'm looking for advice to which configuration to choose, or should I even change drivers? I want a pair of speakers with a wide sweet spot that can be entertaining even if you move around in the room.

Regards
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:23 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • ssabripo
    • Dec 2005

My .02 is, partly due to selfish reasons, that you try a WWMT !!

I am a Seas Excel Sackrider, and I want to see these guys in a WWMT floorstander a la Dayton RS-3way
    My simple HT setup
    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I would swap the tweeter out for a Milennium and drop the crossover to 1200Hz with a C-E filter emulating 8th order and call it a wrap.

RS52 is a sweet mid to be sure, and there is definitely no problem matching it up to the W22 but it almost feels like you're wasting the sweet spot on that W22! RS225 is (if I remember right) cleaner on the bottom than the W22 (not as good up top)... and of course tweeter - that wide face on the RS52 makes the Neo3 an acceptable option if you can get 'em close enough together - other ribbon options or small face tweeters would also do the trick nicely.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

I don't have a pair of Millennium but I do have the T29 Crescendos laying around. The thing is though I'm not skilled enough to build one of those CE-filters. :cry:

cjd: what frequency would be the absolute highest to cross the W22 and still avoid the 3'rd order distorsion peak between 1-2khz? I'm gonna use a 4th order electric.

Btw, I do have the best gf in the world. ;x( She asked me to look through PE's site and wish something for Cristmas... I chose a pair of RS52's... :B We'll see if they will be used in this project or in something else! :T

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

I'm eagerly awaiting what comes down the evil pipe in the lines of the RS52 as well.

a CC at 9" tall in a 3 way is too good to ignore - it will thrust me into serious DIY (er... DI-Evil Twin).

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jonasz
            Btw, I do have the best gf in the world. ;x( She asked me to look through PE's site and wish something for Cristmas... I chose a pair of RS52's... :B We'll see if they will be used in this project or in something else! :T
            Keep her. :T

And yeah..maybe we can convince Jon to go the extra mile and design a matching vertical TMWW to go with the RS52 center.

Are you reading this Jon? ;lx

:banana:

Comment

• Paul W
              • Oct 2004

I did something similar with dome mids a while back. Dynaudio D76 xo's were 800Hz to W22 and 3200 to OW1...but I was never entirely satisfied with those particular domes. (I have a pair of RS52s and they measure far better than the D76s.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	test_mules.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	949374

My suggestion involves very little cash, mainly just labor for new baffles. Put your T29s on as large a waveguide as you feel comfortable with, drop the xo frequency as close to 1k as your waveguide/tweeter allows, and use them with your W22's. Presto! New toys!
              Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:24 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
              Paul

Comment

• ssabripo
                • Dec 2005

Paul, your design above is one of my favorites!! :T

If I could find the XO plans for something similar using a WWMTM with the Seas W22s as the woofers, the W15s or W12s as the mid, and the millennium tweeter, I would be ALL OVER IT! :W

where are thou, oh XO gurus of HTguide??! :lol:
                My simple HT setup
                4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• AJINFLA
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz
                  I want a pair of speakers with a wide sweetspot that can be entertaining even if you move around in the room.
                  A WCXW
                  (I know, sounds like one of those wrestling organizations LOL)
                  Illuminates the room a bit differently than uncorrelated multiple sources. YMMV :W

Cheers,

AJ
                  Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:24 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                  Manufacturer

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

4th order electric is meaningless, acoustic slope is everything...

You can hit 8th order acoustic with a C-E filter and no more elements than a 4th order electric... or not.

C

Comment

• kingpin
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                      4th order electric is meaningless, acoustic slope is everything...

You can hit 8th order acoustic with a C-E filter and no more elements than a 4th order electric... or not.

C
                      Remind me to never and try to get involved in an intelligent conversation with you guys.
                      I thought I was pretty intelligent until I tried to understand what language you guys speak sometimes. :B
                      Then you throw in things like or not. To make my brain do a triple flip and make me feel like I have an IQ of around 5.
                      One day I will understand...or not.

Mike

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
                      Call me "MIKE"
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by kingpin
                        make me feel like I have an IQ of around 5.
                        One day I will understand...or not.
                        These two statements are mutually exclusive. Or is the latter simply wisdom born of simple truth. . .

Snag some simulation software, toss in a textbook crossover, then start tweaking a value. If you have MS Excel the Passive Crossover Designer put out by the FRD Consortium (free) is one of the best for allowing tweaking and immediate results, even with textbook "response" - you can gain a ton of insight just here.

Of course, then we tell you to peek at group delay and conjugate filters and it all goes away again for a bit. :P

C

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"