X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmcox44
    • Nov 2006

Need a good amplifier...need suggestions

Ok, so I finally bought all the parts to build the modula MTM and will be undering going the project in about a week, and am confused about a few things. First thing, I think I just realized that my receiver will not be compatible with it. I have the Onkyo TX-SR573 and read that it puts the power out into an 8-ohm load....so my question is whether the modula MTM is an 8-ohm speaker, or if my calculations are correct and it is a 4-ohm speaker.

If it is an 8-ohm speaker then I am fine and I'll worry about a new amplifier later. If it is a 4-ohm speaker then I need a good amp and need some suggestions. My budget is probably $200 or around there (I'm ok with used amps). What I was thinking was that a 3 channel or 5 channel would be good for me. I do plan on building the MTWW Fronts sometime in the next year so if I'm going to buy an amp I'll probably go for a good one.

All I'm really looking for is the first question and then some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jacob
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well the Modula MTM is a 4ohm speaker. And weather your receiver can handle that or not I'm not sure. Some do some dont. As for a 3 channel amp for 200 bucks? Good luck. You could get this it's probably the best your going to do for 200 bucks. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=248-749
    Free shipping too.

Comment

• Marzen
      • Jul 2005

Jacob,
      You're correct in that the Modula MTM is a 4 ohm speaker; and I wouldn't worry to much about using it with your Onkyo receiver. I've run these same speakers on my inexpensive JVC reciever with no problems; it's spec'd for 8 ohm speakers also. There is a shut down feature that will protect the amp if you drive it too hard.

Assuming you're going with the RS28A tweeter:

...and as Jon mentions "Impedance curve is reasonably benign, but if the drop in the upper frequencies bothers your gear, then just pull the tweeter comp series RC", that being R6 & C11.
      -Ward
      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• jmcox44
        • Nov 2006

dougie085, thank you very much. I might actually look into that amp for when i pursue the fronts and need to power them with more than 75 watts a piece. Do you have any other recommendations for amps in that general price range, new or used, that would be better? Thanks again.

marzen, you are correct with the rs28 tweeter. I guess i will just follow through with the project and hook it up and see how it sounds. I don't normally go too loud due to living in a duplex and only having a 22' x 12' x 8' living room where this will be playing. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"