X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • court109
    • Nov 2006

2 Mach 5 MAW-15 800 watts and no place to go

I have 2 Mach5 audio MAW-15 on the way

Use this area to place widgets or custom HTML for your visitors. This is a custom widget displaying a summary of a chosen page. It would automatically get the excerpt of that page and place it here (or wherever you place the widget).

Power Handling: 500 Watts
    SPL (2.83v/1m): 90.2 db
    Impedence: 4 + 4 Ohm

T/S parameters (with coils wired in series):
    Fs = 26 Hz
    Re = 8 Ohms
    Qt = 0.32
    Qes = 0.35
    Qms = 3.35
    Mms = 232.8 grams
    Rms = 11.42 kg/s
    Cms = 0.000159 m/N
    Vas = 129 liters
    Sd= 756.3 cm2
    Xmax = 13 mm
    Diameter = 31.1 cm

Dimensions
    Outside Diameter: 39.4cm (15 1/2")
    Mounting Diameter: 35.6cm (14")
    Depth: 16.8cm (6 5/8")

And I have a Tapco J-800 power amp
    This website is for sale! tapcoworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tapcoworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I would really appreciate some advice on what kind of cabinet to put them. My room is a dedicated hometheater 18x24, IB is not an option, I don't mind sonotubes, but I would rather build a single large box.

I was thinking 350-400l tuned to 17.5hz. I have been playing with WinISD, but to be honest I don't understand half of the graphs.

This forum is amazing and I can't wait to get started on my first DIY project.

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Hadn't seen these yet. Let me look at them...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Okay here's the deal, a properly made 350-400L box is going to weigh a TON. Oops sorry I don't know the proper metric terminology for this ....:wink:

Anyway think 250lbs or more...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• court109
        • Nov 2006

the terminology would be metric ton (1000 kg or 2200lbs)

My speakers each way 100lbs and so does my power amp so 250lbs woundn't be the end of the world, I'm still building the hometheater so I can sort of disguise it.

Whats involved with a properly made box ?

I was thinking something like 20" w x 48" h x 36"d I still have to work out the exact dimensions. It would have two ports side by side horizontal and then the subs mounted vertically.
        Like so ...
        O
        O

Your AS-15 project is kind of my inspiration, I just wanted to double the ports and drivers.
        Can I get by with .75" MDF sides and rear and 1.5" mdf baffle?

Thanks

Comment

• jonathanb3478
          • May 2006

Originally posted by court109
          Can I get by with .75" MDF sides and rear and 1.5" mdf baffle?
          If you wanted to do that, I would think you should use very extensive bracing. As in there was no area smaller than ~ 9"X12" that didn't have a brace of some kind running through it. Personally, I would brace like that and still do 1.5" thick enclosure walls on all 6 sides. That is just me, though.

Maybe others can chime in on what they think would be reasonable.
          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

jonathan has it pegged.

If you used real baltic birch ply with extensive window bracing you could get away with .75" walls.

The Mach 5 woofers have a relatively modest Xmax. So two of them is equal to the output of the single driver in the AS-15.

You don't need or want two ports. That doubles the port length and that's not necessary

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• court109
              • Nov 2006

I'm starting to understand why sono-subs are so popular.

Would two co-located sonotube subs work as well a two drivers in a single box?

Is 200l per driver tuned to 17.5 with 400w per driver a good design choice?

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                • May 2006

Seems like a good design choice to me.

What size port are you planing to use? I would go with a 6"er, personally.

If you prefer the dual sonosub route, go that way. You can co-locate them with two different tubes, just as with one box.
                Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• mrogowski
                  • Jul 2006

Hi Court,

As the others said, going Sono with such a volume would be the suggested route. Its light, cheap and strong. You can bang a sub together in a day verses having to wait for panels to glue-dry.

Separate Sono's would be a better choice, but it all depends on what you can live with. Having two 16" - 18" tubes standing around may be a bit imposing.

Throwing numbers around, if it were me, I'd go with a 180l box and tune it to 20Hz - 6" port 26" long. Throw a couple of circular braces in the tube and line it with R12 or R20 fibreglass. Your about 6db below the knee at 16Hz which is pretty good. Look into getting yourself an EQ to compensate for any irregularities if you don't already have one. They should pound pretty good for you...

If you do plan to stick with wood, the dimensions you mentioned are interesting - 36" deep? Can your room take a 3 foot deep cabinet? Just wondering...

Best,
                  Mark
                  Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• court109
                    • Nov 2006

I really like the look of a box with a nice exotic veneer, but it's hard to ignore the practicality of the sonotube design.
                    So unless you guys see something wrong I'm going to go with two 20" 200l sonotube subs, tuned to 17.5hz with 6" ports and a 3/4" round over. I'll wire the VC in series and each sub in parallel to give me 800 watts at 4 ohms

Thanks for your help I'll post pictures when the subs arrive

Comment

• mrogowski
                      • Jul 2006

There's nothing saying you can't veneer a Sonotube...

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                        • Aug 2001

Throw a couple of circular braces in the tube...
                        Do they make a measurable difference? Most don't bother (not that that means anything substantive, of course).

Comment

• mrogowski
                          • Jul 2006

Well, through my extensive and very thorough testing methodologies (read: the 'hand on tube' test) I did notice less flexing of the tube at high volumes around the area of the braces. I even considered running three cross braces running lengthwise between each circular brace when building my Baker's Dozen, but I got lazy.

Best,
                          Mark

Comment

• court109
                            • Nov 2006

Veneering a sonotube interesting, has it been done before? A burled walnut sontube, I like it.

I'm confused on the EQ thing, it seems more popular with sealed subs (I guess I have a lot of reading to do)

Is it mandatory, or something I can mess with later? Is there a Coles Notes version of the differences between the 3 Behringer units people use, DSP1124P, FBQ2496 and DEQ1024.

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

Most sonotubes don't have a very smooth outer surface so you'd be looking at a lot of filling and sanding to keep the spiral pattern from printing through the veneer. An (expensive) alternative is the 5/16" plywood cylinders from Tape-ease.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Is it mandatory, or something I can mess with later? Is there a Coles Notes version of the differences between the 3 Behringer units people use, DSP1124P, FBQ2496 and DEQ1024.
                                Start here and then see the links at the bottom of the page

Forget about trying to veneer the tube. Make a lightweight rectangular wooden frame that slips over the tube. Cover it with thin plywood.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• court109
                                  • Nov 2006

Thanks Thomas
                                  That's a very interesting overview. I didn't realize how cheap the DSP1124 and the FBQ2496 were; even in Canada. The DEQ2496 looks really cool to bad it costs more than my two subs and amp put together.

As for beautifying the sonotubes I think I'll just add solid hard wood caps, my main speakers are PSB Stratus Golds with an Oak finish maybe I try and match those. Then cover the tube with a material sock.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

If you don't need to store different program settings for music vs ht, the FBQ is easier to program and has more flexible filters settings.

If you want separate settings for music vs ht, the DSP1124P is the one to get.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jkrueger
                                      • Mar 2006

Ton?

Proper Canadian spelling is "Tonne"

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jkrueger
                                        Proper Canadian spelling is "Tonne"
                                        Okay thanks.

Hey how about sending me down a few dozen oysters? I haven't been to Vancouver Island since 2001 and I'm going through withdrawal..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mrogowski
                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                          Forget about trying to veneer the tube. Make a lightweight rectangular wooden frame that slips over the tube. Cover it with thin plywood.
                                          I dunno. I think veneering would be a good easy choice. I would have looked into veneer myself but it wouldn't have fit our decor.

There's always MakTak...

Best,
                                          Mark

Comment

• jkrueger
                                            • Mar 2006

Oysters

Thomas - How many oysters do you think that it would take to make up a Kilogram?

Comment

• Bent
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2003

It doesn't look good to mention being in vancouver and then suffering any kid of withdrawal. :lol: :lol:

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Thomas - How many oysters do you think that it would take to make up a Kilogram?
                                                Ahh, let's see, would it depend on their size?......
                                                It doesn't look good to mention being in vancouver and then suffering any kid of withdrawal.
                                                Possibly not.... :B

During the off season the island is one of our favorite places to vacation.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2003

Ahh, let's see, would it depend on their size?......
                                                  Yup, everybody knows a kilogram of oysters is heavier than a kilogram of shrimp... Otherwise they wouldn't be called shrimp, would they. ops:

And I agree, Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P0002190.webp
Views:	8
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	945299
                                                  :B
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 11:12 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

This where we usually stay......

Image not available
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 11:15 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jkrueger
                                                      • Mar 2006

Off Season

Thomas, I am not a fan of oysters, but if you let me know when you will be through my fair city, I would gladly treat you to a pint of our finest local ale. There is a thriving beer scene in Victoria. :beer:

Jonathan

Comment

• court109
                                                        • Nov 2006

Subs arrived today, very well packed, quick delivery, even included bolts to mount the drivers. They look very impressive to me (I don't have a lot of experience though)

MAW15

Comment

• court109
                                                          • Nov 2006

Hey Jonathan;
                                                          I haven't been posting on forums very long but I believe that is what they call HiJacking

Any sign of the tsunami in Vancouver

Comment

• jkrueger
                                                            • Mar 2006

Oops

Unintentional Highjack. I will mind my manners. :W

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Hey Jonathan;
                                                              I haven't been posting on forums very long but I believe that is what they call HiJacking

Any sign of the tsunami in Vancouver
                                                              Abandon your thread and all kinds of things happen when you're not looking... :W

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• court109
                                                                • Nov 2006

That's too funny

Well my wife went into preterm labour yesterday, which stopped around midnight, (thank god) and my two year old's baby sitter got sick this morning. I am going to have a hard time keeping up with this thread, let alone actually build the subs in the near future.

Never fear though, I'll find sometime, to bug you guys with novice questions.

Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear about the complications, hope all goes well.

We'll keep your thread warm while you're away... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• court109
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2006

Mach 5 Question for Mark

Hey Mark,

Have you ever considered selling power amps, and EQ's from your website? It seems unfair that our American friends can by a Behringer EP2500 for 299 US$ and we are stuck paying 500 $cdn. Same goes for the DSP1124 and the FBQ2496.

When ever a power amp comes up on ebay in Canada there is always a lot of interest, which would lead me to believe that there would be a lot of interest on fairly priced online canadian retailer.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"