X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazurek
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
    Those have the lowest distortion of any 12" driver Jon's ever measured. He'll be using 2 per side in his new VERY high-end dipole.
    I've considered these to save some weight in some massive floorstanders I'm building for my dad. I currently spec'ed 2x10" RS 265 per, but would consider the Aura. I thought Jon's testing indicated the Daytons were the low distortion leader, my application is 20-160 Hz, or 40-160 Hz depending on what LT option my dad wants to toggle.

Thanks,
    Lee

Comment

• Brian Walter
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Paul,

Those have the lowest distortion of any 12" driver Jon's ever measured. He'll be using 2 per side in his new VERY high-end dipole.
      While I don't doubt that the AuraSound is an excellent driver, it only has 20 mm's of Xmax, peak to peak (10 mm one way) as opposed to 14 mm (one way) for the Dayton. I would think the extra 4mm of excursion of the Dayton driver would be just as important as the slightly lower distortion in the AuraSound, but then if the dual AuraSound drivers are adequate for the design, I guess it doesn't matter.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

When Jon tested the Dayton RS 12"s, they were the lowest distortion 12" tested to date. Later when he bought and tested the Aura 12"s, those had even lower distortion.

All Jon's testing data is located in the 'Testing Testing..1,2,3' thread that's archived in the Mission Accomplished "Reference Threads"

Unless one owns a pretty high-end playback system I doubt that most people would be able to hear the difference between these 2 drivers . Jon's goal is for the ultimate in low distortion so he's using the Aura 12"s.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brian Walter
          but then if the dual AuraSound drivers are adequate for the design, I guess it doesn't matter.
          Jon's obviously run the sims for both. He's chosen the Aura 12" for this 'ultimate' dipole design where he's using the $$$$$ Accuton mid and tweeter
          Have the crossover and measurements for the Arvo Part Type 3's (esp. the ones with 830883s) been documented anywhere? I've looked, but can't find them. Thanks. Paul

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• engr_dave
            • Dec 2005

this 'ultimate' dipole design where he's using the $$$$$ Accuton mid and tweeter
            Isiris :drool: . What is the timetable for that design? Is that variation of Arvo active or passive? Dayton woofers would be nice since they'd complement the four RSS390HO's I just received for the subwoofers... but Aura is OK is that's what Jon is designing in.

Speaking of the Dayton RSS390HOs, the sims I ran showed a pair right on the xmax line from 35 Hz on down with 1250w in 4.5 cu ft (2.25' per driver). So it seems that would be the optimum sealed volume in my case - LT or no LT. Does this sound right?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by engr_dave
              Isiris :drool: . What is the timetable for that design? Is that variation of Arvo active or passive?
              There is no timetable. He has all the drivers and has done a tiny bit of the woodworking.

It will be an all passive design.

Speaking of the Dayton RSS390HOs, the sims I ran showed a pair right on the xmax line from 35 Hz on down with 1250w in 4.5 cu ft (2.25' per driver). So it seems that would be the optimum sealed volume in my case - LT or no LT. Does this sound right?
              Don't know without modeling it myself. Seems a bit small if you're targeting an inherently low Qtc.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"