X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kramskoi
    • Jan 2006

When does a sealed sub mimic IB?

For all who've heard critical Q subs and IB setups...what are some differences between typical IB installations and low Q sealed subs, in regards to sound signature? Why would a ELQ sub (<.4 Qtc.) not sound similar to an IB installation, given extreme cabinet bracing?
    ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
    M. Boutte HT
    3x15" @ 10 Hz
  • Scott Simonian
    • Nov 2004

Dunno. I think its the fact that in a "true IB" the owner knows that there is no restoring force on the sub other than what the coil sees. That's just my take on it.

Personally, I would love to have a quadruple stack of your TC3000s in that Q5 box. With a EP2500 strapped to each coil. Cause, why the phuck not?

Ah....eight TC-3000s.....

*Homer Simpson drool*

Actually, I think 4 or more 18" LMS-5400s would pretty much tap me out! :E
    My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's not just the "Q", it's the lack of the interaction with the box that gives an IB the edge with regard to SQ.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kramskoi
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
        Dunno. I think its the fact that in a "true IB" the owner knows that there is no restoring force on the sub other than what the coil sees. That's just my take on it.

Personally, I would love to have a quadruple stack of your TC3000s in that Q5 box. With a EP2500 strapped to each coil. Cause, why the phuck not?

Ah....eight TC-3000s.....

*Homer Simpson drool*

Actually, I think 4 or more 18" LMS-5400s would pretty much tap me out! :E
        i'm seriously thinking about adding a second 2x15 unit like kgveteran...most likely i'll just add a third tc3000 in a single box with a lower Qtc. of .3-.4...this should pull up 7-8 Hz a bit more... :T...as is, the 8 Hz signal in "Irene" is definitely felt with this sub...
        ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
        M. Boutte HT
        3x15" @ 10 Hz

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Assuming the box is totally rigid and not radiating, one difference is air spring distortion. According to SL's worksheet:

(Air spring distortion %) = 140 * (driver 1-way Vd) / (box volume)

Another is the non-linearities due to heating etc. that drivers experience when you pump a lot of power into them. If you have a small box with a lot of EQ on the low end, it's going to take a lot of power down low.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
            • Aug 2001

Originally posted by kramskoi
            For all who've heard critical Q subs and IB setups...what are some differences between typical IB installations and low Q sealed subs, in regards to sound signature? Why would a ELQ sub (<.4 Qtc.) not sound similar to an IB installation, given extreme cabinet bracing?
            Everyone has their own perspective on the matter, but there are a variety of factors that sneak into contribution that are often ignored. As Dennis mentioned, heat from current through the VC will obviously be greater for a less efficient subwoofer. The part that is often overlooked or forgotten is that the current through the VC for a given Voltage input is highly dependent on the impedance curve of the driver. While I personally tend to think that with many of the high excursion woofers too much concern is given to box Q since the Le and other factors skew the response from a simple 2nd order high pass, there is an interesting quality that is consistent is the relative changes in the impedance curve with lower Q and higher motor strength systems. While the lower Q systems are not quite as sensitive (to Voltage) as higher Q systems, either or both of the peak and width of the impedance peak at Fb increase vs higher Q and/or lower motor strength systems.

If the impedance is higher at a given frequency, less current flows through the coil, and heat in a motor can only come from I^2*R where R = Rdc.

If you take a look at a few preferred IB solutions you might notice some trends related to this. :roll:
            Mark Seaton
            "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"