X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkrueger
    • Mar 2006

Anyone with Solen experiences?

Hi all

I have been watching the Mission Accomplished thread with envy for a few months now. I would love to build one of the big Dayton 3-ways, but my housing situation requires certain cabinet measurments. The best alternative that I can come up with is a custom kit from Solen. If I buy all of the bits and pieces there, they design the crossover for free. This could be great, but I am wondering if anyone here can vouch for the quality of any custom kits from them. The drivers in question at this point are....

Peerless 269SWR51XXLSP (10 inch)
    Vifa Premium PL11MH0908 (5 inch)
    Vifa XT25TG3004 ring radiator tweeter

These drivers would all be aligned in a WMTMW configuration into a slightly modified 3-way cabinet design on their "Designs Unlimited" page. They seem helpful, and interested, but I can't spend this money twice. Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Sincerely,
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

In the past we've looked at some of the kits offered by Solen, and found them to be less than optimal. The crossovers appeared to be basically 'cookbook' designs. If that's how they create a custom kit then I think not.

What you might consider is having someone like Dennis Murphy do a design for you based on drivers you can buy from Solen.

I suggest something other than the XT25, it's okay, but for the money there are certainly better tweeters (I have used them so I speak from experience.)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Martyn
      • Feb 2006

For what it's worth, I bought my Eton kit from Solen. Both the crossover and cabinet were designed by Eton, so it's not a custom design. Mine's the 11.2 3-way design which, if you think it might work for you, you're welcome to drop by and listen to.

Comment

• jkrueger
        • Mar 2006

The truth of the matter

Thanks for the heads up Thomas. I feel a little at a loss. I would love to build a full-range speaker, but the only cabinet parameter that is of little concern to me is height. Final speaker must fit within 12X18X(as much as 52-53). Partsexpress has shown me that they are great with customer service, but the shipping and duties are killing me..(Not to mention UPS) The only other option that I have seen on-line is the Apex II by www.rawacoustics.com but it seems to me that I have read here that the Extremis driver is to be avoided. A solution thought up by such a knowledgable group of people as htguide regulars would be great, but the 3-ways are both too deep and/or too wide. I won't build the sealed TMWW because I have no room for a sub-woofer. I'm on a pretty inflexible budget of between $2000 and $2200 cad. and right now I am unsure about where to go next.

Edit - Thanx for the offer Martyn. After all of my hunting is done, I may just take you up on it.

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

shipping must be real expensive if you budgeted 2000 for those speakers :E

Comment

• kingpin
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jkrueger
            Thanks for the heads up Thomas. I feel a little at a loss. I would love to build a full-range speaker, but the only cabinet parameter that is of little concern to me is height. Final speaker must fit within 12X18X(as much as 52-53). Partsexpress has shown me that they are great with customer service, but the shipping and duties are killing me..(Not to mention UPS) The only other option that I have seen on-line is the Apex II by www.rawacoustics.com but it seems to me that I have read here that the Extremis driver is to be avoided. A solution thought up by such a knowledgable group of people as htguide regulars would be great, but the 3-ways are both too deep and/or too wide. I won't build the sealed TMWW because I have no room for a sub-woofer. I'm on a pretty inflexible budget of between $2000 and $2200 cad. and right now I am unsure about where to go next.

Edit - Thanx for the offer Martyn. After all of my hunting is done, I may just take you up on it.
            I hear you on shipping cost.
            My first shipment of 130 lbs cost me $180 in shipping.
            I still need to order more also, so probably another $50-60.
            Not to mention the extra $300 I was charged by the customs folk that I had to pay.
            Could you not take one of the existing tower designs and a side-firing sub on it.

Mike
            Call me "MIKE"
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• jkrueger
              • Mar 2006

Subs

I have no skills as far as straying one inch from a plan. Woodworking is pretty simple. Speaker design is voodoo. Side firing sub might be an idea to explore, but how would you add one to the NatP?

Comment

• kingpin
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jkrueger
                I have no skills as far as straying one inch from a plan. Woodworking is pretty simple. Speaker design is voodoo. Side firing sub might be an idea to explore, but how would you add one to the NatP?
                You know what. I don't have enough know-how with this stuff to give you the gospel on doing something like this. I know it was submitted on my thread early on when everyone thought I was just wasting their time or they just thought I was nuts.

It would seem to me that it is do-able, but would their be a difference in sound quality and is it even feasible is something somebody with more experience can answer for you.

Don't lose out on your idea. Something will come up sooner or later.

Mike
                Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• kingpin
                  • Jun 2006

If you look at the Natalie P design starting on this page:

Post #117 natalie P towers are shown. Now wether or not you could implement a side-firing sub in these is something somebody else has to chime in on.
                  Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                    • Jan 2006

what about these?

you can get the m8a at solen.

For the money your talking about you could build the Arvo.

the classic three ways here would do the trick too. Maybe abit wide. Other interesting things to see as well. If you built the classic three ways then if you find yourself with more space you could build the poor mans strads since they use the same drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"