X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

Two Avalanche 15 wiring

I am finally at the last stages of my version of ThomasW’s Tubezilla with 2 Avalanche 15 drivers and 180 liters of total tube volume.

I am wondering what is the recommended way to wire them?

I intend to have only one set of binding posts. Each driver has 2 terminals that measure about 2 Ohm each. My amplifier of choice is Behringer EP2500.

Should I wire the terminals of each driver in series and then parallel two drivers? Or should I series everything and get 8 Ohm total? The EP2500 will do 1500Watts into 8 Ohm, which seems to be fine for 2 Avalanches.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated.

Victor
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sort of limiting with the choice of only a single binding post. My preference would be each driver as a 4 ohm load hooked to one channel of the amp running in stereo.

Behringer doesn't give a bridged rating for 2 ohm operation. I take that as a not so subtle hint that bridged 2 ohm operation isn't recommended.

So with the single post your options are limited to 8 ohms.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
      • Aug 2006

Hey Victor. I have 2 atlas 15"s and they have 2 ohm and 4 ohm terminals. I would imagine yours are the same. I called up ascendant audio to find out which was which. It has been to long now for me to remember which. Hey as a helpful hint I marked my IB inside so I could tell them apart later.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dynamowhum
        Hey Victor. I have 2 atlas 15"s and they have 2 ohm and 4 ohm terminals. I would imagine yours are the same.
        The Atlas and Ave VC's are different. The Aves have 2-2ohm VC's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
          • Aug 2006

ah live and learn thanks for keeping me straight

Comment

• dynamowhum
            • Aug 2006

Should be able to go in series with each coil though for 4X2 ohms, right? I know Chris told me at ascendant that I could to that with my 2 and 4 ohm coils.

Comment

• Victor
              • Apr 2002

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I will have to go with series connection for a total of 8 Ohm nominal impedance.

ThomasW, what would be the advantage of using 2 sets of input terminals for the true stereo operation? The EP2500 is rated to deliver 750W into 4 Ohm in stereo mode or it can do1500 Watts into 8 Ohm in bridge mode, - it seems to me that the two regimes of operations are identical, - are they?

Another question, - my concern when I was thinking about wiring was this, - assuming that the parameters of both Avalanche drivers are not identical, - they are close but still are not the same, - would a particular way of wiring both drivers minimize the adverse effects of the dissimilarity between the drivers?

Regards,
              Victor

Comment

• Tommythecat
                • Nov 2005

4x2ohms? Im not sure what that is. What you can do with the atlas coils, by running them in series, is achieve a 6ohm load (as opposed to 4ohm).

With the 2 Ava's, he's limited to .5/2/8 ohms.

Comment

• wackii
                  • Jan 2006

Letz me ease ur pain Vitor, sell me one of ur avalanche so I can run the dual LLT sonotube hehehe Drop us some pics.

Al,

Comment

• Tommythecat
                    • Nov 2005

Victor, the difference in parameters should be negligible (unless something is quite wrong with one of them).

Comment

• Victor
                      • Apr 2002

...Pictures are coming, once I am done!

I guess I will wire all coils and drivers in series for 8 Ohm load. I see that there is a Samson S2000 amp that can do a 2000 Watts bridged into 8 Ohms, - would that be better then the EP2500?

I think I can get this S2000 for about $550. The power increase relative to EP2500 is negligible, but still it is something, - does anyone have any experience with Samson products?

Victor

Comment

• dynamowhum
                        • Aug 2006

yeah Tommycat I saw the first posters 8 Ohm requirement and was thinking out loud. Or should saying keyboarding out loud. Rereading his first post I realize now he already mentioned the series 8 ohm deal. Sorry.

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

fyi the atlas's are variable qts.... more to it than a vc resistance

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"