X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexnick
    • Dec 2005

Dayton speakers in Canada

Has anyone seen distributors for Dayton speakers in Canada?
    If I order them directly from PE I will have to pay some taxes when the package arrives? I believe that I have to pay the Canadian VAT, but can I reclaim the american VAT?

If someone has some experience with ordering speakers from another country please help me!

Best regards,
    Nick
  • morbo
    • Nov 2004

You have to order them from Parts Express. If you get them shipped USPS, you will pay GST + duty. If you ship by UPS, you will pay GST + duty + 'brokerage'. I never ship by UPS as the brokerage fees are ridiculous, much more than the premium for using USPS.

Comment

• alexnick
      • Dec 2005

So what do you advise me to do?
      What does GST and duty mean? I know that shipping through US Airmail would cost ~45$!
      How much more do I have to pay?

Comment

• morbo
        • Nov 2004

GST is 6%, duty I'm not sure. You may also have to pay PST (7%) depending on your province. I suggest you ship from PE using USPS, or choose a design that has all the parts available from Solen, like some of Zaph's designs.

Comment

• alexnick
          • Dec 2005

I'm asking you this because I live in Romania and I have to ship the Speakers from PE to my cousin in Kitchener, Canada. Cost is very importtant to me since it adds by percent.

Comment

• morbo
            • Nov 2004

alex, I understand. I am about 30km from Kitchener myself. If you need to order from Parts Express, USPS is the cheapest way. You will pay 14% tax (gst+pst) and a similar amount of duty. I'm not sure of the exact amount for duty.

There is also Solen (www.solen.ca) which is Canadian, ships cheaper, and has no duty, but it does not carry dayton brand speakers, though it does carry Vifa, Peerless, Seas, Hi-Vi and various other drivers. You can find good designs using some of those drivers at www.zaphaudio.com.

Other canadian speaker building vendors are www.creativesound.ca and www.rawacoustics.ca. Hopefully this helps.

Comment

• kingpin
              • Jun 2006

I wonder what it would take to be a dealer in Canada. Or even a reseller so the discount at least covers the duty and such.

Mike
              Call me "MIKE"
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
              CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
              CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
              Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• alexnick
                • Dec 2005

What does GST mean? Is it the same thing with the VAT?
                And PST?

By the way, if I have to pay the Canadian VAT, can't I reclaim back the one from USA?

Comment

• Martyn
                  • Feb 2006

Yes, GST is the Canadian equivalent of VAT. It's a federal sales tax. PST is a provincial sales tax. You will incur both taxes by shipping to Ontario. You should not pay a US sales tax if the parts are shipped by the US supplier direct to a Canadian address.

Comment

• kingpin
                    • Jun 2006

G.S.T.

Good and Services Tax. An extra 6% in most Canadian provinces. Along with 8% Sales tax on almost all purchases.

Mike
                    Call me "MIKE"
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Those are taxes in Canada.

There are no VAT or any other kinds of taxes or duties on products bought in the US and shipped out of the country. So you might find it cheaper to have PE ship directly to you.

However a very big down side to getting products from the US is warranty service. Should you receive a DOA product you might as well throw it away and order a new one.

I really think you should look at locally available products simply because of customer service..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alexnick
                        • Dec 2005

There's no way I could find Dayton speakers outside USA!

Comment

• Florian
                          • Feb 2006

Thorsten Weber sells Dayton drivers in his shop Boxen Baustelle in Germany. Prices are high compared to Partsexpress, but probably still cheaper considering taxes and shipping costs to Europe.

Florian

Comment

• alexnick
                            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the tip Florian!
                            Daytons are expensive there, but I found that they are also available in Europe!
                            I assume that you are from Romania( I am).

Comment

• Florian
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by alexnick
                              Thanks for the tip Florian!
                              Daytons are expensive there, but I found that they are also available in Europe!
                              I assume that you are from Romania( I am).
                              Hi Nick,

I'm from Switzerland. But I usually buy drivers in Germany, because there are not many DIY audio shops around here.
                              Romania is not (yet) in the EU, right? So you don't have to pay the EU VAT (16%), but probably the Romanian VAT (I have no idea how much that is).

Florian

Comment

• alexnick
                                • Dec 2005

Strange. Your name is a romanian one.
                                Yes, not yet in the EU. Romanian one is 19%.

Comment

• Florian
                                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by alexnick
                                  Strange. Your name is a romanian one.
                                  The name is also quite common in german-speaking regions. There is even a Saint Florian :B

By the way, I never ordered from that shop, but the owner is quite active on the german DIY forums and I never heard anything bad about his shop.

Florian (no Saint :lol: )

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"