X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Dennis:
    I built the crossover with the attachment named DMRSWWMT.jpg, except I used the H1212 driver instead of the RS28AS driver written on the schematic. The Swithey DM WWMT H1212 XO https://www.htguide.com/forum/attach...achmentid=6902 is "the correct one" as posted today. If you would confirm that, it would great.
    In comparing the 2 schematics there are differences in all 3 sections of the XO.

The DMRSWWMTnet.jpg is the one I built. It is listed on post Home in the DM WWMT zip file on the WWMT thread.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DMRSWWMTnet.JPG Views:	63 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	845927

Chuck
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:13 Thursday. Reason: Update image location and htguide url

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

OK, so you guys quit mentioning the RS28AS. There's enough confusion in this thread without adding to it!

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
        OK, so you guys quit mentioning the RS28AS. There's enough confusion in this thread without adding to it!
        Actually, dawaro mentions the shielded version in post 259 and Chuck points out the .jpg of the crossover network shows the shielded version, but the first page says that it is the unshielded version.

I think we need Dennis to weigh in on what driver he designed for, then everyone should update posts/diagrams accordingly.
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Dennis Murphy
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
          Actually, dawaro mentions the shielded version in post 259 and Chuck points out the .jpg of the crossover network shows the shielded version, but the first page says that it is the unshielded version.

I think we need Dennis to weigh in on what driver he designed for, then everyone should update posts/diagrams accordingly.

Such a headache I've got. I thought the shielded, unshielded issue had been resolved. I used the unshielded.

Comment

• Spanky Ham
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
            What (would either/both of you estimate) was the lowest frequency range present, in force, in the source material you used in this comparison?

If that is a non-starter, in what track of what album would you say the lowest content (again, present in force) existed, and when in that track would you say it occurred?

Just trying to get a better handle on what was actually compared.

Thanks! :T
            I wasn't that interested in the lowest frequencies and I don't believe Chuck was either. He has an excellent (SVS slayer) Sonotube sub for HT and whatever music may need the low end stuff.

Originally posted by dawaro
            With Chuck recently finding out he inavertantly used the RS28 version of the xover with the Seas tweeter a rematch may be in order...
            :wtf: We already know the PSBs were the :loser: . Do you want to :urinate: on their grave as well? :

This is interesting about Chucks goof. Maybe the tweeter and mid were overcoming the crossover to still provide excellent sound. If Chuck wanted to have another get together like the one from AVS, then I would bring them back up there. A couple of more opinions might be enlightening.

Originally posted by chasw98

The PSB's have been around for a good number of years so it's kind of like comparing an '05 model year to a '91. OTOH, the PSB's held their own for a 15 year old speaker. They did sound good. They were a well engineered speaker. I believe that once you reach a certain quality/build level with speakers there is a point of diminishing returns. It is hard not too talk about comparisons like this without mentioning the almighty dollar because that is a common reference for judging items like this. So I won't :T
            Chuck and I have discussed this a couple of times. How much better can we go with current technology? Are the Wilsons fifty times better than the DIY speakers? I doubt it. The best set up I have ever heard was the B&W 801s in a properly designed room. They sounded phenomenal, but I think the room contributed a great deal to this. Maybe for the next demo we should do this outside.

Comment

• Dennis Murphy
              • Aug 2005

OK I modeled what you are listening to and sent the plot to Jim Holtz. The plot looks a lot better than it is. The response is dead flat until the tweeter takes over, and then it steps up a few dB and is flat all the way out. So it should sound bright but otherwise uncolored. However, the crossover to the tweet is too low. And the phase relationships around the crossover region are very poor. This would explain why you didn't hear an improvement in midrange clarity and focus. I would be happy to buy the Seas tweets from you if you want to substitute the RS tweeter. But we'll need to get the correct crossover nailed down on this board before anyone else builds one of these things.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Spanky Ham
                I wasn't that interested in the lowest frequencies and I don't believe Chuck was either. He has an excellent (SVS slayer) Sonotube sub for HT and whatever music may need the low end stuff.
                I understand, but I will be using my pair of the RS TMWWs for stereo only duty, and I like things like Linkin Park's Reanimation and such. Lots of low stuff in some of my music selections. I guess I will know, once I have built them. I can live with that.
                Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Dennis Murphy
                  Such a headache I've got. I thought the shielded, unshielded issue had been resolved. I used the unshielded.
                  Sorry about the headache

So did I, as I was 100% positive it was unshielded, until I looked around (the .jpg that Chuck pointed out and dawaro's comments in post 259), and I saw the shielded references are still around.

Perhaps we can get the appropriate people to update all the incorrect references, now, given your statement above.

Right???
                  -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

OK I modeled what you are listening to and sent the plot to Jim Holtz. The plot looks a lot better than it is. The response is dead flat until the tweeter takes over, and then it steps up a few dB and is flat all the way out. So it should sound bright but otherwise uncolored. However, the crossover to the tweet is too low. And the phase relationships around the crossover region are very poor. This would explain why you didn't hear an improvement in midrange clarity and focus. I would be happy to buy the Seas tweets from you if you want to substitute the RS tweeter. But we'll need to get the correct crossover nailed down on this board before anyone else builds one of these things.
                    Sorry, everyone, Dennis sent this to me after I went to bed for the evening. Here's what Dennis found.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS-H1212 FR model.gif
Views:	159
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	845929
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:14 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Dennis:
                      Thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated. I am going to place an order for the parts I need to build the Seas version this morning. I will see how it works out. If I end up going back and using the RS28A, I will surely let you have the tweeters.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"