X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2006

Dayton DA-175 project cabinet

I just finally made my mind on what project to build. I chose those DA-175 because of their good bass.

I just posted a thread on parts-express.com board and go no answer to my cabinet question...

I have the driver selection, and the crossover schematics, (thanks to M. Jakubin). I have tried many of the cabinet design softwares suggested here and there on DIY websites, but since I am a newbie, I just don't understand the recommendations they give.

Here is the link for the crossover schematics. I think it has been designed by M. Pete Schumacher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DA175-K1MTMWWproject.gif
Views:	25
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	943024

Here is the link for the T/S parameters for the DA175 driver.

here is the link for the T/S param. for the Hi-Vi K1

What I want is a floorstander, the volume isn't a problem. I also don't wan't to use a subwoofer so I would like a vented cabinet that produces good bass.

My 2 questions are:

1- Anyone has a plan for the cabinet? Precise plan, telling where to put braces, the height of each driver, the exact size and configuration or the port (tube), et...

2- Where do you find inductors of 1,2 mH that are .11 Ohm? (same for the other inductors of the xover) I could'nt find the on either partsexpress.com or madisound.com. Or is the Ohm value not important? I don't know anything in that electronic stuff
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:10 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

You will want to ask Pete what the baffle layout is because he used it to model the crossover. If the baffle is not exactly as he modeled, your results will not mirror his prediction. That should be your first step. Next, as for the low DCR of coils, you can try North Creek audio (air core recommended), or get a steel laminate core inductor if on a budget.

Jed

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As far as I can tell Pete Schumacher never actually builds his brain storms.

These designs are simply Pete sitting at a computer and running computer simulations. None are actually built and tested designs.

Sooo.........

My suggestion is to build one of the projects listed in our Missions Accomplished section. These are proven designs built by many people. So you'll find tech support available..

If you want tech support for Pete's designs, you need to contact him with your questions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jordan
        • Jun 2006

Ok!

Can you tell me how to contact Pete?

I understand no one ever tested these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	driverlayout.gif
Views:	17
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	943025

I had made previously made my mind chosing th Nathalie P. but when I looked at the overall price of that DA175 project, I found it was cheaper. And also, those speakers seem to have pretty good and flat mid to low end.

I want to repaeat that I am a newbie. But is there really a precise volume that is recommended for a crossover? Or, can I make big cabinet with big port with a crossover designed for a small enclosure? ( sorry for that übernoob question )

Thanks for your fast answers!

Jordan
        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:10 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Crossover/box interaction is generally limited to baffle step compensation. You can make the box any reasonable size and as long as you keep the baffle width and driver placement the same you'll get good results.

If you want to stay with the DA-175s, the P-E Vifa-DA-175 Kit is a decent start. http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/302-940.pdf I've modeled its crossover substituting the Seas 27TDFC/G (a much better tweeter for not much more money) and it works pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty good for a beginner project. Same caveat as above - I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY BUILT IT, although will "soon" for a shop speaker project.

There is no baffle step compensation built in to the P-E crossover as far as I can tell. You can add it with an inductor and resistor - not as elegant or efficient as the integrated solutions of the Modula and NatP, but usable. I am drawing a blank on the web page I want to show you for reference. Perhaps someone else can post a good link.

If you place your speakers close to the walls you may find you don't need much if any additional baffle step compensation - especially if you use a P-E size cabinet, since 1 cubic foot is a bit small, giving a couple dB of boost at the bottom end.

Comment

• nerd of nerds
            • Sep 2005

i'd hold out on that if i were you...

Jonh from Zaphaudio.com is working on several designs using the DA175 woofer and iirc Seas 27TBFC tweeter.

Zaph is an EXCELLENT speaker designer and it would be well worth the wait for his designs.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"