X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slayer
    • Dec 2005

Interested in building a Tube/Column sub

Are there any designs on here that are proven winners for low output? This will be the second sub in the room and be used mainly for 40hz and below. I am looking for a design that will extend below 20hz for theater use. I have 2 subs in my room now, 1 in front and 1 in the rear. I will add this one to the mix to either compliment the others or replace one of the others. Any thoughts?
    Parasound Halo C2
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
    Oppo BDP103
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
    Xbox One
    Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
    Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
    BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
    Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
    Energy Veritas 2.0i center
    CAT Tiburon series side surround
    Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)
  • m-unit
    • Jun 2006

this thread seems to have a lot of good info about the sonotube design... https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17629
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 16:50 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

Mixing different subs - especially one that will go much lower than the other - is not a good idea, as you will always be limited by the weaker sub if you intend to keep things calibrated with a decent FR. Sell your current subs and build one or two badass subs.

Comment

• slayer
        • Dec 2005

I've done it that way for the last year without problems. I agree that two of the same subs would be best but I don't believe it is a must. In my room, the monster sub is in the front of the room in the prime location and is dialed in to my mains with the Velodyne SMS-1. My rear sub is just output out of a second sub out of my Halo C-2 and was tweaked into the system while running the sweeps with the Velodyne SMS-1. I can see an instant response in on my display that helped me add it into the mix without creating problems in the overall frequency response of the system. The way it worked was to have my rear sub set with a different x-over and phase and a very low output. Just enough output to balance the room. The main thing it did was remove dead spots I had before and add a bit more rumble into my couch as it fires right into the back right of it. I tried it several ways before using this method. The Halo let me use it as a dedicated rear sub but the results were not as good as the way I have it now. To each his own I guess. I still plan on getting a Velodyne DD-18 at some point. I love that sub.
        Parasound Halo C2
        Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
        Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
        Oppo BDP103
        Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
        Xbox One
        Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
        Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
        BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
        Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
        Energy Veritas 2.0i center
        CAT Tiburon series side surround
        Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
        Velodyne SMS-1
        Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"