This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DennisP
    • Jun 2006

Ok, I've been playing with various sizes and configurations, and actually the best one for my particular room is the last one I posted, and increasing the depth to 38" overall to appease SteveC. :P So that would give 6" of clearance from the port to the back of the driver, which is a little bit better. :B

I'll probably take the extra volume out of the width of the unit (the 4'-6" dimension), because it would be nice to reduce that by a couple of inches.

One thing is clear- this thing is a MONSTER. I think it will need it's own email address after I'm done. :E

I just want to be clear, just in case anyone is wondering- an IB was, in fact, ruled out by my wife many moons ago, hence this crazy route! :B But "wait till she gets a load of this". :twisted:

-Dennis

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

Given any thought to two seperate enclosures? Or is one larger one a better fit for your room?

Comment

• steve nn
        • Jan 2006

Given any thought to two seperate enclosures? Or is one larger one a better fit for your room?
        mmm

Comment

• Mark Seaton
          • Aug 2001

Hi Dennis,

While I may want to put on my asbestos suit before making such a suggestion, if you wanted to keep that depth shallower, even closer to 30-34" as you mentioned, I think you might have another option for the port location.

You mentioned the sub will be backed up to a wall. One of the reasons people say to keep the port exit clear of box walls is to keep the end termination or loading similar on both ends of the port. That noted, how about moving the port to the back bottom of the enclosure. Literally touching both the back and bottom walls of the enclosure. All of your bracing and other factors can remain the same. Aside from moving the port out from behind the pole vent of the left driver, the placement of the box against the wall and the box being so large, each end of the port effectively sees a very similar environment/end termination. The brace I suggested you have at the end of the port is akin to the box side for the other end of the port. I would expect you might end up with a slightly lower tuning with this configuration than in the middle, but I don't think it would be very significant.

Others here may have actually done direct comparison of such a configuration and can more specifically respond. I can only offer that I have used, tested, and built a few speakers with the ports configured this way without any audible issues, but I never had a comparable box with a different port location to compare to. I personally don't forsee any problems, and think it would work out well, and possibly allow a little smaller dimensions.

While we know SteveC will cheer on for a bigger and bigger box , as an architect, you well know how a few inches more or less to walk around or trip on may or may not come into play. With that large a port and enclosure, I doubt a slight reduction in box volume will be dissappointing in any way. After all, you are the one who has to live with it!

Just an idea.
          Mark Seaton
          "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've been waiting so long to post this smiley.
            While I may want to put on my asbestos suit before making such a suggestion,
            Let get'm boys......:f>

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SteveCallas
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by SteveCallas
              mmm
              Well I didn't mention the main drawback - he won't be able to use a 10" port anymore :B Just seems he's having a little trouble placing this box in his room.

While we know SteveC will cheer on for a bigger and bigger box
              OORAH!

Comment

• steve nn
                • Jan 2006

;-x :k> :2guns: oke: :throwat: :toilet:
                Take that Mark!..you better stick with sealed.

Comment

• noah katz
                  • Dec 2005

"Well I didn't mention the main drawback - he won't be able to use a 10" port anymore "

With one driver he'd only need a 7" port/box.
                  ------------------------------
                  Noah

Comment

• SteveCallas
                    • Aug 2005

Correct, but I don't think 7" diameter sonotube is the easiest to locate.....and though it's a small difference, one 10" port is better than two 7" ports.

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by steve nn
                      ;-x :k> :2guns: oke: :throwat: :toilet:
                      Take that Mark!..you better stick with sealed.
                      Don't forget that Mark likes to play with those radiator thingies.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• steve nn
                        • Jan 2006

Don't forget that Mark likes to play with those radiator thingies.
                        Noted! I'm certainly out of liege in messing around with Mark, I just got such a laugh out of Thomas's post.
                        Correct, but I don't think 7" diameter sonotube is the easiest to locate
                        It's a bugger of a size to find.. 6"- 8 - 10 is easy around here like the 20 and 24", 22" is very challenging.

Comment

• JonW
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Hey, this is a fun thread to read through- someone getting excited about building a monster sub. And I'd like to note that Dennis' realizations come after being egged on by some of the real bass addicts here. This place sure is starting to feel a lot like a crack house. :P

These two guys have a very good, if practical, point:

Originally posted by Mark Seaton
                          Also, 27.5" x 36" isn't small. Be sure to double check your doorways and any turns you need to make to be sure you can get that monster into your room! You could probably calculate out a rough estimate, but that's going to be one heavy box, even in Baltic Birch.
                          Two smaller enclosures will be MUCH easier to work with versus one massive enclosure. During construction, during placement, and should you ever have to move to another house. Heck, even if you live a long, happy life in that house and pass away, smiling, in front of your subs. Consider your heirs and what they will be faced with. :P

If designed properly, do you guys think that 2 enclosures could sound as good as one big one? Total volume might be slightly larger, overall, but I think it would be physically easier to deal with. Then again, you've got cancellation issues to deal with 2 subs. Hmmm...

Comment

• DennisP
                            • Jun 2006

Hmmm...I'll try monkeying with the enclosure with Mark's suggestions and post back again... It's really just the 36"+ depth that's bugging me, the width and height are a-ok.

-Dennis

Comment

• JonW
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DennisP
                              the width and height are a-ok.
                              Also consider the weight.

I'm a newbie to this DIY thing. So I'm still getting a feel for it. But these projects tend to be much more cumbersome to deal with in real life than on paper. (wood weighs more than paper- go figure) I'm building my first real speaker now (Module MT). It's only a small bookshelf speaker. But I added a lot of bracing so the volume creeped up a bit. The cabinet, alone (no drivers), has got to already be pushing 30 pounds. It's more difficult to move around the work bench than I would have thought. A 200 pound sub might get a little tricky, especially if it's in a quite large box. Just something to think about. You can't really go wrong no matter what you try. Have fun. :T

Comment

• noah katz
                                • Dec 2005

"do you guys think that 2 enclosures could sound as good as one big one?"

I'm surprised no one mentioned the benefits of multiple subs.

HARMAN International is a global leader in connected car technology, lifestyle audio innovations, design and analytics, cloud services and IoT solutions.

------------------------------
                                Noah

Comment

• steve nn
                                  • Jan 2006

Hey Dennis..What about switching over to the dual RL-p if you cant make it pencil out? 600 raw would come in at around 16.2 Hz tune with the 10" port. If memory serves me correct your at 660-70 raw now? That might reduce the size down to just what your looking for?

Comment

• DennisP
                                    • Jun 2006

A single monster works better than 2 subs within my room. I had briefly considered the idea of 2 co-located subs, but it's not really possible.

-Dennis

Comment

• DennisP
                                      • Jun 2006

Hey Steve,

I skimmed your last post and was out of town until today (Vegas!), I hadn't considered reducing the box size like that...I'll see what that gets me!

-Dennis

Comment

• DennisP
                                        • Jun 2006

Okay, it looks like I overestimated (by quite a bit) the mounting depth of the TC-2000. I took another look at the photos on the website and it looks like I was off by 3 or more inches. I have an email into TC to get the official dims for the 15" (only the 10 and 12" drivers have diagrams posted so far).

But for now, if it all shakes out, I think this is it...

-Dennis
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• DennisP
                                          • Jun 2006

Well, July and most of August have flown by and I finally found myself a cabinet guy locally that can help me out (through a family friend). :T The design is still pretty much the same as it was, although now I'm trying to get the size down a little bit.

I know that about 330L per TC-2000 worked out great, but I'm now considering going with the SS equivalent (RPL-15) since I believe it needs a little bit less volume. The question is, how much volume is ideal for similar tuning, port size and length, etc.?

-Dennis

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                            • Aug 2005

260 effective liters per driver and 600-900 watts. Do you still want one large cabinet or would two discrete subs be better? I believe steve nn is selling finished RLp15 LLT sonosubs - that might be an option if you want to save some time and effort.

Comment

• DennisP
                                              • Jun 2006

Well, that puts me in the ballpark right away!! Score! That would mean 520L or about 600-610 after factoring in the bracing, port, etc. Is this still a 10"D 34"Long port we're talking about? (I remember Steve's was 10"D, but don't remember the L.

BTW, pne single enclosure works better, and the sub will sit horizontally on the ground (height limited to 29"- the bottom of my fixed FP screen. I'll upload some pics of the front of the room tomorrow evening so you guys can see the space I have to work with.

Thanks for the input Steve, I really appreciate it!

-Dennis

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                • Aug 2005

Yes, steve shot for 600 liters raw to end up with the 520 effective - comes down to your bracing to determine what you need to shoot for raw. Port will be 10" diameter and 36" long. WinISD says that will be a 16.2hz tuning, but in steve's case, it appears the real world tuning came in at just below 15hz, which is a good thing. You could use 34", but I wouldn't go any shorter than that with the 10". You could also go with two 6" ports that are each 30" in length, but the single 10" reduces air velocity more. Use a 3/4" roundover on the outside. Feed it with 1200-2000 watts.

Comment

• DennisP
                                                  • Jun 2006

Thanks Steve!

I was looking at either Behringer, Carvin, or the Crown Xti series for amps, I think those are listed in price order, from cheapest to most expensive. The Crown has some EQ built in, is that useful for the extra $130 over the Carvin?

-Dennis

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                    • Aug 2005

Which Carvin model were you considering? Unless fan noise is going to be an issue, I'd go with the Behringer, as it will give you a bit more power for your money at the expense of louder fan noise. If you want Carvin, I'd probably go with the DCM2500 - while 600 watts per driver would cut it, this design can handle a bit more power than that

Comment

• DennisP
                                                      • Jun 2006

Hi Steve,

Yeah, I was looking at the DCM2500, and I also noticed the Crown Xti2000 for yet even more money (the crown is 800W per channel into 4 ohms and adds some basic EQ, crossover settings).

-Dennis

Comment

• Al Garay
                                                        • Jan 2004

Check pricegrabber.com, the XTi2000 for $650 including shipping.

Comment

• steve nn
                                                          • Jan 2006

Well, that puts me in the ballpark right away!! Score! That would mean 520L or about 600-610 after factoring in the bracing, port, etc.
                                                          Alright! now your cookin. 8)
                                                          while 600 watts per driver would cut it, this design can handle a bit more power than that
                                                          At 750 per, mine still has more to give.. just what it has to give is beyond me, but I wouldn't be afraid what so ever at throwing 8-900 per driver at it. It's nice to see your making some nice headway Dennis.

Comment

• DennisP
                                                            • Jun 2006

Thanks Steve!

Here's a version with a slotted port to allow a little more clearance behind the drivers and to stiffen the cabinet quite a bit since it's all single layer. Comments welcome as usual. The port area is very close to a 10" diameter port (about 2% bigger), and I left the length at 36", but I'm not sure if that still applies with this port type. Also, is there any way of predicting port noise with something like this?

-Dennis
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• WillyD
                                                              • Feb 2006

At 750 per, mine still has more to give
                                                              Dang Steve...I can't imagine that your sub is capable of anymore, and I haven't even heard it. Do you really have any idea of its true max-output capability? I guess until you got more power through the drivers, you won't know...right?

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                • Jan 2006

I'm sorry Dennis I cant open that up for some reason, maybe it's my security settings or something? I doubt I would be able to give you a definitive answer considering I generally speak from experience instead of modeling.
                                                                Dang Steve...I can't imagine that your sub is capable of anymore, and I haven't even heard it. Do you really have any idea of its true max-output capability? I guess until you got more power through the drivers, you won't know...right?
                                                                No I really don't Willy?..it's like you say, maybe another 400 watts split between the two drivers would do it?? Well..it's not needed anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                  • Aug 2005

If you bumped the power up to 1000 watts each, you'd gain only ~1db more output. However, the amp would probably be better behaved at 1500 watts, and you'd have a bit less distortion - though when you're playing bass from movies at 119db peaks, I don't know how much of a concern some distortion is :B

Comment

• DennisP
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Hmm...here is a JPG version, see if this one works...
                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2005

I believe square ports will result in more turbulent air flow compared to cylindrical ports - any reason you don't want to go with 10" sonotube? Two 6" tubes would work too, just not as well as a single 10".

Comment

• DennisP
                                                                        • Jun 2006

I wanted to provide a bit more clearance from the back of the drivers, based on past suggestions. Strangely though, Kyle at TC Sounds recommends only 1" of clearance from the back of the driver for effective performance.

I also am worried about keeping the depth of the enclosure down to 30" max or 29" if possible, and when I place the 10" circular port, it is always 6" away from the back wall, which I'm told is too close.

-Dennis

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006

Ok I see. Dang your enclosure looks very close to another I can think of. Few "s taller, a " deeper and a 1/2" wider. I presume your talking about building the slot/port out of wood? I think I would be afraid to try it myself, not that it wouldn't work, but like Steve says you could be asking for degradation of your bass? That's allot of work to be chancing like that. I was concerned about being so close to the drivers also. If I had to do it over again I would just go ahead and bring the port a little closer to the back wall by a " or so and not worry about it. I have went much closer than that. I would go with 8" from the back myself and that would give you a " more clearance in front than what I wound up with...you'll be good. What do you think?

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 391

it is always 6" away from the back wall, which I'm told is too close.
                                                                            I see we posted at the same time. I don't see how your coming up with 6" considering your a inch deeper than what I built?? Do you have you drivers inset more than 3/4" on your baffle?

Comment

• DennisP
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 75

Nope, they are inset 3/4". I will post the round port version tonight to show you what I mean and then you can tell me if I'm missing somethin'.

-Dennis

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2005
                                                                                • 799

You can do two 6" ports that are each 30-33" long - that should help in clearance issues. Port velocity goes up a bit, but I'd imagine it's still better than a square port......I dunno? Anybody here know more on how a square port relates to a cylindrical port?

Strangely though, Kyle at TC Sounds recommends only 1" of clearance from the back of the driver for effective performance
                                                                                I don't doubt for one second that Kyle knows 5x as much about audio as I do, but I'm 99.9% certain 1" clearance from the drivers for a 10" port is asking for performance degredation :B

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 391

I don't doubt for one second that Kyle knows 5x as much about audio as I do, but I'm 99.9% certain 1" clearance from the drivers for a 10" port is asking for performance degredation
                                                                                  OK I see what maybe the issue is. Steve are you speaking of the port wall or the bottom mouth of the port?..or maybe both :lol:

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2002
                                                                                    • 3798

You can do two 6" ports that are each 30-33" long - that should help in clearance issues. Port velocity goes up a bit, but I'd imagine it's still better than a square port......I dunno? Anybody here know more on how a square port relates to a cylindrical port?
                                                                                    Yeah, in theory, a square port would have a bit more turbulence at the corners. That's why airplanes have fillets where the wings join the fuselage. However, I think the effects would be quite small compared to what happens at the ends of the port unless you're using something with a big flare, like an Aeroport. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it and would be very comfortable with a square or rectangular port. Slot ports and t-line enclosures have been used successfully for a very long time. If you needed a really short/shallow enclosure, you could do a folded port where you have staggered "backwalls" on the enclosure and the port was say 4"x20" and however many layers you needed to get the port length. The ports you guys are using are so oversize that chuffing isn't really an issue.
                                                                                    I don't doubt for one second that Kyle knows 5x as much about audio as I do, but I'm 99.9% certain 1" clearance from the drivers for a 10" port is asking for performance degredation :B
                                                                                    I haven't seen Kyle's comments in full but I suspect he's talking about how close the driver's pole vent can be to the back of the enclosure. I doubt he'd recommend blocking the port with the driver's motor if that's what's being discussed.

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 391

I doubt he'd recommend blocking the port with the driver's motor if that's what's being discussed.
                                                                                      Fudging a couple inches on the wall with a 10" port doesn't seem to much of a compromise to me, but at a few inches at the mouth, I would be very concerned. Just think, we're talking about a box the size of a refridgorater and we're still looking for space. :lol:

Comment

• DennisP
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2006
                                                                                        • 75

Ok guys, now I'm really confused re: cylindrical vs. rectangular ports. :lol:

Is my calc. for the rectangular port at least correct per this assumption:

Take port area of circle port, convert to identical area rectangle, keep length the same.

-Dennis

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 10933

Round.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                                            • 262

Has anyone noticed the TC-3000's Xmax decreased 4mm since it was first available? Hope Im not going crazy, but I definitely thought it had 34mm one-way linear excursion.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"