Soundsplinter RL-p15...port surface area?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MOState
    • Jun 2006

Soundsplinter RL-p15...port surface area?

Hi there, first post on this board. Im building a coffee-table/speaker. I plan on putting a Soundsplinter RL-p15 in there with a Behringer EP1500 on it. Im going to be giving it 4.5 to 5 cubes, tuned to 16hz. Obviously I don't want this to be a HUGE table...which brings me to my question. Im torn on how much port surface area to use. Obviously I don't want port noise, but I'm also slightly limited on space. What is the bare-minimum surface area I should be giving this/these ports? I was contemplating using If I use PVC I don't know whether to use 1 or 2 ports. Im assuming 1 4" PVC pipe is not nearly enough...so I thought about 2. Im also debating on making a slot port...again I don't know how big. Either way, I plan on beginning construction on Tuesday.

I also have one more question. Im building this out of MDF, and I was planning on using a black lacquer to finish it. What kind of primer/sealer do I need to use to obtain a good finish?

Thanks for any help,

Shaun
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you look at the numerous threads where people are building ported subs with the RL-p15" you'll find that the smallest recommended port is 6" diameter.

If you model whatever size box you want to build, you'll find that there's a problem using doubled 4" ports. They get really long.

Personally I wouldn't use a slot port with a high excursion driver ...

There are probably a 1/2 dozen recent threads on this forum dealing with applying a gloss or piano black finish. A search will find them....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nox9colt45
      • Apr 2006

I just started my Nat P design with building my own box. I have no pictures yet, but will keep you all posted if u wish. I have a couple questions however. I have fairly good at woodworking, and all my cuts so far have came out great, but i have never used a router, and i am wondering which type of bit to get. I got that the

Post #10, this is how i went about the piano gloss finish, and it has worked well. Hopfully it treats you the same way
      Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 14:35 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"