X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Which LC pair is involved with the pole at 1k? Couldn't you lower the C value and raise the L for a lower Q there?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• KJP
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jed
      Keep playing with LCR trap circuit values/add one- you should be able to get rid of that peak and also maintain good tracking- and as Jon mentioned, maybe it is a baffle artifact that will disappear 15 degrees off axis, so therefore- not to worry.

Jed
      I am getting a little closer.... Could you clarify /add one?

Here is a question. What do people consider to be good tracking?

Originally posted by augerpro
      Which LC pair is involved with the pole at 1k? Couldn't you lower the C value and raise the L for a lower Q there?
      Speakerworkshop just doesn't spell it out like that for me so I don't really know... Do other measurement softwares give this information?

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by KJP
        Speakerworkshop just doesn't spell it out like that for me so I don't really know... Do other measurement softwares give this information?
        Heh, nothing really gives out this info. I'm still looking for a book or something on it. Your network is sort of complex, but if it were say a 2nd order network you would raise teh L and lower the C such that the product L*C is still teh same. So the XO is still the same but the slope (Q) is shallower. That's pretty much the sum of my knowledge...
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by KJP
          I am getting a little closer.... Could you clarify /add one?

Here is a question. What do people consider to be good tracking?

When I said add a LCR circuit, you might have to add more components to lower the Q at 1K.

You could let speakerworkshop do a calculation based on a goal response that you create for the target slope, and then have the selected values adjusted automatically. To do this create a new network and simulate just the woofer section on its own with the target slope. You will have to "create goal" to do this and adjust the slope based on your target. I use that feature a lot. Or at least I used to when I was using SW.

Here is the menu with the options you'll need to let SW do the work for you.

Optimize network (based on selected components in your network)
          and
          Create Goal (select a target slope at a given SPL etc.)

Image not available
          Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:50 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• KJP
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jed
            You could let speakerworkshop do a calculation based on a goal response that you create for the target slope, and then have the selected values adjusted automatically. To do this create a new network and simulate just the woofer section on its own with the target slope. You will have to "create goal" to do this and adjust the slope based on your target. I use that feature a lot. Or at least I used to when I was using SW.
            That is exactly what I did. I began by adjusting the impedance compensation until the predicted impedance was flattest. I have an LR8 goal that I let the optimizer figure all components except Cz1 and Rz1. It works very well on the amplitude side but apparently not so hot on this Transfer function issue.

Comment

• KJP
              • Nov 2004

As an added note, letting the optimizer run on all components results in an even larger peak.

Comment

• KJP
                • Nov 2004

Looking better, only a .04db peak remains

Click image for larger version

Name:	tf.gif
Views:	18
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	947536

Click image for larger version

Name:	take.gif
Views:	20
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	947537

Good enough to build?
                Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:34 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Much better, IMO. Sometimes the little details like this make quite a difference in the long term enjoyment of the final product.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by KJP
                    As an added note, letting the optimizer run on all components results in an even larger peak.
                    Optimizers are in my experience not that "automatic" as you think, you must already start with a good network and details are hard to address.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                      Optimizers are in my experience not that "automatic" as you think, you must already start with a good network and details are hard to address.
                      That's a big and important point- the optimizer can be helpful in determining if your network is in the ball park, (if inductors get really big in shunt values, you probably don't need it, etc), but using an optimizer well requires some art and insight into what the topology should be doing and how- and I almost NEVER optimize all components- for starters, impedance zobels largely should be setup and left alone, for example, and there are times you want to carefully select what range you use the optimizer over, as well as manually tuning some issues, as I point out in this thread.

Optimizer's may get you a network that looks OK in on axis sum, but is not really tracking in phase well, and has very poor inverted null, for example.

It's a tool, sometimes useful, but never to be used without critical judgement- most of my fine tuning is done completely manually, but then I am a bit compulsive. :W
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KJP
                        • Nov 2004

I really appreciate the input and guidance. Thanks tons.

I plan to order parts in the next couple of days. On that note I do have some component questions. What kind of power rating should I be looking for on the l-pad resistors? The other resistors?

I had planned on using a stack of the GE 10uf caps from Madisound but they seem to be out of that value. They have the 5uf but that would become a LOT of capacitors/big pain to assemble. I also was wanting to get some 10 or 12 AWG inductors from Northcreek for the woofer circuit but they seem to be unobtainium.

So the can of worms question would be....

What do you think the best components to use for this network are?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Don't take my word as any kind of gospel- I'm probably known for being willing to be a bit more spendy on the crossover components than many folks.

For the Lpad, I usually use parallel/series resistor arrays as needed so I can get 25-30 watts power handling without breaking a sweat- resistors have temperature coefficients, too, and though the average power to the tweeter is not generally that high, it's best to keep any possible temp coefficient of the resistor out of the picture.

For the larger series coils, I'd at least use AWG 14 Perfect lay or Solen coils, from Madisound or PE. I'm personally a fan of air core coils because they dont' have any hystersis or saturation effects. Cored coils have to be calculated and sized carefully if you want trouble free results, and no one provides inductance versus current and permeability droop for cored audio crossover coils (something that is very fundamental for SMPS inductors, for example).

If you have plenty of room, paralleling smaller loser cost polypropylene caps is resasonable, but there are also times it's a lot easier to use Solens or at least Dayton polypropylene caps in larger values. I like to make the tweeter series caps at least partly with either film and foil or Sonnicaps, it depends on your associated gear whether that expense is worthwhile. And your budget, of course.

As Steen Duelund said when he was alive, for the best results it's not at all unusual to spend more on the crossover than on the drivers.
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by KJP
                            How much deviation from my lp target is ok to avoid this peak in transfer function? If it comes to choosing evils, which would be more important, target tracking or filter Q?
                            This is a fun question.

Am I the only one that throws out the targets once I've got something in the ballpark?

C
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                              This is a fun question.

Am I the only one that throws out the targets once I've got something in the ballpark?

C
                              Nope. You're hardly alone! For me the individiaul target is a starting approximation considering the non-ideal driver spacing and alignment that usually has to be coped with. If there's any one thing that is critical, it's paying attention to the phase tracking in the crossover region and having a good null response when wired out of phase. One can usualy tell this by how things sum on either side of the nominal crossover point. That and avoiding too high a Q at the corner just because an optimizer is trying to get back a dB or so... ;^)
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"