X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KJP
    • Nov 2004

My M8ta spin

Ive been working on these for almost a year? Two or three days a month for what seems as long as I can remember now..... :g>

I think I eluded to this project elswhere here. A GrahamT Extreme mt in some Jonmarsh Avalon klones with a semi constrained layer wrapped in a Sonus Faber and sandwiched in a Revel. Grahamarshavalonfaberevels?

I'm taking Jons baffels and attaching them to an enclosure made of 1/2 inch Birch ply. There are 5 full shelf braces, the walls are stuck with dynamatish adhesive backed pads and covered with a half inch layer of fiberglass under batting stapled in. Stuffed in that is a 3 by 26 inch Precision flared port. This enclosure is then slid into a shell of 1.5 inch MDF lined with two layers of 30lb roofing felt. The baffel will seal to the outer shell with neoprene strip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04-13-06_1947.webp
Views:	42
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	947517

and

Name:	04-13-06_1934.webp
Views:	19
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	947518

for

Name:	04-13-06_1935.webp
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	947519

From there the top half of the baffel will get covered with black leather, the bottom half and the shell will be painted with Duplicolor truck bed coating.

Next I'm going to bolt panels to the sides to allow grillcovers ala Revel

Image not available

and the grill drawn in

Image not available

At first the sides will probably just be Oak plywood with some cherry stain. I want to do them out of some nice polished marble slab but the budjet is getting harder and harder to get past the wife ;x( :brunette:

Some kind of footing system like the Kharma Exquisite Reference is also in the works. :T

These things are stupid heavy. I cant lift them. I dont have a scale, and I am kind of wimpy so.... ops:

I can play the woofers full range pretty loud with my ear on the sides and back and not feel or hear anything coming through. I think that was what I had hoped for, did I mention that I cant lift them?

Sorry about the lo Q cell phone pictures. I had a bunch of good photos that got stolen at the same time as my camera got stolen a while back..... :M

I just got this phone so I had to share.

I'll start the measurement process after the bulk of the finishing work is done and post my progress as i go.

Thanks to Jon for being more nuts than me. :B
    Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:25 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Those look badass.

Comment

• posix
      • Feb 2005

I beg you to re-think your baffle and "kidney"-shaped sides. your enclosure re-design kicks ass and I wouldn't want to see the geometric shapes spoiled by organic sides and grill. Just take the sides off and don't add anything else to it, it's THAT good on its own!
      keep up the good work!

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by posix
        I beg you to re-think your baffle and "kidney"-shaped sides. your enclosure re-design kicks ass and I wouldn't want to see the geometric shapes spoiled by organic sides and grill. Just take the sides off and don't add anything else to it, it's THAT good on its own!
        keep up the good work!

Agreed--- really nice work though. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Comment

• KJP
          • Nov 2004

Hm, I want grills, I dont really like the looks of the Avalon grills, I do like the looks of the Revels.....

Yup, I'm gonna do them kidneys and all. My wife said they look like Ears. Thats what I'm going with. Ears. Not kidneys.

Non of that is really in concrete at this point, if someone drew me a better idea I would love to see it. :T

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Well...

the blobs look like something slapped on - not integrated, vaguely sloppy. Similar modification to the "Type Si R Super Turbo Ultra" stickers on stock Civics (though let us not forget the 12" exhaust tip)

If you like it, by all means... but it's not particularly good design. It has no relationship to the rest of the design, and that's the problem.

You can add organic forms to the geometric shape, but you need to do so such that it flows together as a homogenous whole.

Dig out some nature photography books and study some of the ways geometry plays with organic form. Flowers, leaves, insects...

I think it could be very slick done well.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

After going to all the work to minimize diffraction with the faceted baffle, you're creating diffraction with the rounded element that sticks forward below the woofer. That's not a good thing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• posix
                • Feb 2005

you see?! 4 against 1 - we win! take em off, I don't care what you call 'em but take 'em off!

Comment

• JoshK
                  • Mar 2005

Its a free country, he can do whatever he wants. By I too think they looked badass without and quite strange with the ears. Thomas's point about the diffraction is a good one, it is going to be a performance drag to leave them on.

One thing I am having a hard time understanding is the box within a box concept. What is that for? Why not make the volume larger and just use the outer box, and tune them lower (or are they sealed?).

Comment

• posix
                    • Feb 2005

5 against 1!

p.s. oh and it's not "free country", it's Internet and it costs money to run.

Comment

• KJP
                      • Nov 2004

Well I doubt it would be THAT much of a performance drag. Next weekend I'll cut out another ear and measure it with and without both in place. If the effect is that bad I may ditch the ears.

I dont know anything about Turbo stickers on Civics. I thought the panels did follow the form. The back of the enclosures from bottem to top slope back then forward, the sides turns that into a curve instead of a sharp angle. From the side view the tapers on the baffels angle back starting from the middle, and the sides follow the same shape with a curve.

4 on 1, 5 on 1 the jury is still out. I would love to hear more opinions.

The box in a box is my attempt at a semi-constrained layer. Two layers of 30lb roofing felt is from some simple tests that Art Ludwig posted on his site. see those on this page. It seems pretty effective and I am glad I did it.

My main thing is I need to use grills, so they need to attach somehow. I like the Revels so that led me to this shape for the side. Quite reminiscent of the Revels I thought.... No? Do you guys like the look of the Revels?

Thanks for all the feedback, good or bad I want it all.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

My vote shouldn't count because of my prejudice and ties to the original design and to Avalon. :B

BUT, that said, if you want to do a Revel, do a Revel. If you want to do an Avalon look and act-a-like, you may want to stick more closely to the program. Without the ears, I think you've got a good thing going there. :T

Let's see how it measures either way.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dyazdani
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by KJP
                          My main thing is I need to use grills, so they need to attach somehow. I like the Revels so that led me to this shape for the side. Quite reminiscent of the Revels I thought.... No? Do you guys like the look of the Revels?
                          I DO like the look of the Revel Ultimas, but their "ear" is not quite as large, i.e. it doesn't really stick out past the enclosure anywhere (just a little in one part really).

Maybe if you made it a bit smaller and left part of the top exposed. You could probably follow the lines of the back profile of the main enclosure.

I like the "original" M8ta design aka "Avalon-like" - but I am a conservative type of guy anyway...
                          Danish

Comment

• HMenke
                            • Feb 2006

I would say that the side panels would look cool if the whole speaker had pretty much that profile...but I think they look rather incongruous on that particular faceted speaker cabinet. I would leave them off.

Comment

• Nathan P
                              • Mar 2006

Here's what I think would look best on the grill holder things. I drew up an outline that follows the cues on the baffle and speaker itself. What do you think Kevin?

Name:	thingies.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	845389
                              Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:26 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• posix
                                • Feb 2005

is that 8 against 1 or 8 against 2 now?

Comment

• KJP
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by posix
                                  is that 8 against 1 or 8 against 2 now?
                                  jury is still out?

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

In the end, of course, the choice is yours.

C
                                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• KJP
                                      • Nov 2004

Of course, but I would rather have some approval of DIYers whos opinions I respect very much.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

From a functional standpoint remove the section of the side plates that stick out in front of the baffle.

From an aesthetic standpoint remove both the side plates completely.

Jon said the same thing in his post

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• posix
                                          • Feb 2005

has the jury gone to bed yet?

put simply organic and geometric shapes don't mix well. you can still have your side panels if you must have them but you'd have to re-design them slightly to better follow the overall design of the speaker. make it a pointy ear if you must have ears. but seriously, your box on it's own is excellent and doesn't need anything extra added to it.

Comment

• KJP
                                            • Nov 2004

I think the jury died. :rofl:

I did like the drawing that NathanP did, it more closely followed the lines esp along the back, but I have a new idea that I believe may please the imperial court.

Picture this if you will. From this line up I plan to route off about a half inch of the baffle on all sides so it keeps its shape but is now set back. I make a wooden frame to build that back up, keeping the same shape, to cover with cloth, then on the inside of the frame I install wool felt to prevent diffraction issues from the frame itself. So the end product keeps the same exact shape pictured but has a flush removable grill from the line up PLUS adds the felt diffraction control. Under the grill I will still do a leather cover. The ear would have also given me some pretty wood grain, so that leaves me wanting to reevaluate the finish on the rest of the speaker. I want wood. I now think it would look best with it all veneered with some pretty burl of some kind. Ive never veneered b4. I am scared. Would someone please tell me that veneer work isn't as hard as I think it is?

Name:	04-13-06_19352.webp
Views:	21
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	947520
                                            Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:27 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Nathan P
                                              • Mar 2006

I think that will look great, I don't know about the diffraction or felt etc, but the others should have more to say about that.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Veneering is VERY tricky on a design like this with multiple facets.

The crossover is specifically designed for shape and size of the baffle.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• posix
                                                  • Feb 2005

birdseye maple anyone?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2002

If you're not up to veneering the whole thing, you could always do black truck bed liner on the front baffle with all the difficult angles and veneer the back part with the square angles. I think that would look quite elegant.

Comment

• posix
                                                      • Feb 2005

I have an idea - how about you finish it off with filler, sand it all smooth, primer and give it a coat or two of paint? cream or even white would work nice, but it's up to you of course. see if you like it. if you don't you can always veneer over it (if you feel like you're still up for a challenge afterwards, that is)! :T

Comment

• KJP
                                                        • Nov 2004

update

A little update on my dumb speakers.

Since the peer review of my original idea went so well I never took any measurements of the ears/kidneys/blobs in place to see what effect on diffraction they would have had.

Top half of baffle is covered with leather. Bottom half if just stained with a poly containing cherry colored stain. The goal is to veneer them someday with something pretty (if the stupid things end up sounding good enough to warrant the effort/expense). The back shell is truck bed liner roll on. It was not as flaw concealing as I had hoped, agian this is something I can do better down the road.

The front of the grill frame will be a layer of wool felt cut to match all the angles, glued on, and covered with standard grill cloth.

Overall I am glad I went this route and am happy with the results thus far.

I dont get as much time to work on these as I would like.

more bad cell pictures

overall

Name:	grilloff.webp
Views:	23
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	947521

grill frame off

Name:	grilloff-1.webp
Views:	20
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	947522

grill frame going on

Name:	sidegrill.webp
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	947523

grill frame on

Name:	grillon.webp
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	947524
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:28 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

I think they look GREAT the way they are!

If those are your 'dumb' speakers, I would like to see the ones with mediocre intelligence.
                                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• KJP
                                                            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the compliment.

The only reason I call them dumb is because of how dang long I am taking to build them. ops:

I'm quite happy with them so far.

Comment

• Nathan P
                                                              • Mar 2006

That looks great, I love the grilles, very classy.

Comment

• clearwaterms
                                                                • Nov 2006

and the real test is how do they sound?

Comment

• KJP
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Not done yet.

Got the felt and grills done.

Name:	10-13-06_0947.webp
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	947525

Name:	10-17-06_1749.webp
Views:	23
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	947526

Still have the base to build, then crossovers.

Looking forward to posting my sock shot. (I will borrow a real camera for that)
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:29 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• clearwaterms
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by KJP
                                                                    Not done yet.

Got the felt and grills done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10-13-06_0947.webp Views:	0 Size:	10.3 KB ID:	947525

Click image for larger version  Name:	10-17-06_1749.webp Views:	0 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	947526

Still have the base to build, then crossovers.

Looking forward to posting my sock shot. (I will borrow a real camera for that)
                                                                    So you still have not played them yet?
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:31 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• KJP
                                                                      • Nov 2004

I listened to the woofers and tweeters by themselves. The woofers sound generally bad running full range. They have a nice smooth extended low end that I am pretty excited about. I have never had stereo bass before, I think I am going to like that a lot. They are going to end up crossed low and steep, 1.1-1.2khz so I hope the problems I hear in them running wide open get all the way filtered out. The Seas 27tdfc sound ridiculously good full range. I don't know how they do it. No bass of course but very impressive.

Comment

• kano32
                                                                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by KJP
                                                                        I listened to the woofers and tweeters by themselves. The woofers sound generally bad running full range. They have a nice smooth extended low end that I am pretty excited about. I have never had stereo bass before, I think I am going to like that a lot. They are going to end up crossed low and steep, 1.1-1.2khz so I hope the problems I hear in them running wide open get all the way filtered out. The Seas 27tdfc sound ridiculously good full range. I don't know how they do it. No bass of course but very impressive.
                                                                        Things sound different when the crossover is employed and the drivers are placed in the enclosure. I hope you don't hurt your tweeters feeding them a full range signal. Low frequencies + tweeter = ouch!

Comment

• KJP
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004

making progress

I did some measurements last weekend and have been working on a crossover design. I would like to present this work for some review before I start ordering part$$$.

Here is the unaltered response of woofer and tweeter.

Name:	begin.gif
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	947527

The networks

Name:	Networks.gif
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	947528

And a combination of highpass and lowpass predicted response/phases with goals and summed responses with normal and reversed tweeter polarity.

Name:	left.gif
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	947529

Am I crazy or does this looks really good?

TIA for any input.

Keivn
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:32 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15298

That looks a lot like what you should be shooting for, but do you have an adequate amount of baffle step comp? What does the raw transfer function look like of the filter?

This is the LP transfer function on the "original". Pretty much a full 6 dB, as these are intended to be put out away from the wall.

Name:	M8taLPFilter.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	947530

Here's the crossover- note that the first inductor is rather a bit larger than the second on the woofer, that's because it has a different corner frequency and is responsible for BSC as well as one of the poles in an LC pole pair.

Name:	M8taRSiSchm.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	947531

Just suggesting you give this a look, otherwise you seem to be well on track.

~Jon
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:32 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KJP
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 94

#39
                                                                              Thanks for the insight. Speakerworkshop doesn't generate a networks transfer function so what I did was make a new driver, associate the real woofers impedance curve and a flat frequency to it and then simulated the networks effect on that. What I saw was only about 3db BSC. Does this method sound correct?

These are going to sit with the woofers 3 feet from side walls and 4 feet from the back wall so I do think I will need more BSC than 3db. So I reworked everything to this end.

new network

Name:	networksagian.gif
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	947532

new networks transfer function showing about 5.5 db BSC

Name:	lptf.gif
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	947533

and the new combined response

Name:	leftredone.gif
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	947534

If this looks ok I am ready to submit an order for parts.

Thanks again for the input.
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15298

#40
                                                                                How about fine tuning the Q at the LF corner frequency? Notice your transfer function has a some peaking (higher Q) at 1 kHz, with a bit of a dip before that- I've found that to correlate with some resonance in the midrange in female vocals- note that the TF on the original M8ta doesn't have any peaking there. Of course, you may be experiencing some diffraction effects that are different from my baffle, which seems to cause you to need that response. I'd suggest looking at the 15 degree off axis curves on the RS225 and tweeter also, sometimes I average the two and use that for network development, though not in this case. It should be possible to get a nice phase control through the crossover region (verified as you do with the out of phase test), without any peaking in the LF crossover (higher Q) near the crossover point.

Name:	M8taRSiSPL.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	947535
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 3621

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                                  How about fine tuning the Q at the LF corner frequency? Notice your transfer function has a some peaking (higher Q) at 1 kHz, with a bit of a dip before that- I've found that to correlate with some resonance in the midrange in female vocals- note that the TF on the original M8ta doesn't have any peaking there. Of course, you may be experiencing some diffraction effects that are different from my baffle, which seems to cause you to need that response. I'd suggest looking at the 15 degree off axis curves on the RS225 and tweeter also, sometimes I average the two and use that for network development, though not in this case. It should be possible to get a nice phase control through the crossover region (verified as you do with the out of phase test), without any peaking in the LF crossover (higher Q) near the crossover point.
                                                                                  Translation- smooth out the peak at 1k :B

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15298

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Jed
                                                                                    Translation- smooth out the peak at 1k :B
                                                                                    Yeah, that's one of my shortcomings, using 250 words to suggest something that can be condensed to six or less- :W

~Jon
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KJP
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 94

#43
                                                                                      I can't get it to go away and still maintain good tracking of the target.

How much deviation from my lp target is ok to avoid this peak in transfer function? If it comes to choosing evils, which would be more important, target tracking or filter Q?

FWIW the difference between the saddle and 1khz peak is about .7db. Optimizing for a prettier TF yields way more than .7db amplitude deviation.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2005
                                                                                        • 3621

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                                        Yeah, that's one of my shortcomings, using 250 words to suggest something that can be condensed to six or less- :W

~Jon
                                                                                        Actually, I learn more when one's mind ponders all the variables. Your suggestion of looking at the off-axis response is something I'll consider when I get further along on my 3-way projects.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2005
                                                                                          • 3621

#45
                                                                                          Keep playing with LCR trap circuit values/add one- you should be able to get rid of that peak and also maintain good tracking- and as Jon mentioned, maybe it is a baffle artifact that will disappear 15 degrees off axis, so therefore- not to worry.

Jed

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"