My DIY sonotube sub is done. Pic and impressions inside.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

So you are running two Avalanche 18 LLT sonosubs right now??? NICE :E :T :twisted: You are gonna force me to figure out some way to get my second one going in my living room The capability you have right now is simply amazing.

It looks like you didn't flare the port opening though, is that right? Not really an issue with the 8" port and 500 watts, but just wondering.

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Wow. :E You've got a pair of them. Looks really great. :T Enjoy. :B

Comment

• Nichol1997
        • May 2006

Thanks for the compliments. Steve, no I did not flare the ports. I have played it pretty loud with some bass heavy songs (Techmaster PEB) and a test tone cd and I have not heard any port noise whatsoever. In fact, if you put your hand in front of the port when it is playing loud, the velocity of the air is pretty low (at least the few times that I did).

Just in case anybody is curious. The net volume is 23.4 cubic feet. The port is 8" inside diameter and 24" long. The tuning frequency is 13.8 Hz with a theoretical f3 at 14.6 Hz. I will eventually measure them to see exactly what they are doing.

Comment

• SteveCallas
          • Aug 2005

Yeah, tuning is so low that with most material the port won't get used too much.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nichol1997
            These things are ridiculous! I was watching the depth charge scene in U-571 and my floors and walls were shaking.
            Are you kidding!!!! Those things are probably MORE powerful than depth charges!!!!

I bet you need a yardstick to measure your grin!!!!!!!!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Nichol1997
              • May 2006

I am trying to find a good material to cover them with. It seems that most of the people on this forum are using speaker cloth. Parts Express has some that is 70" wide. Will I be able to stretch this an extra two inches to cover the height of the tube (the tubes are 72 inches tall)? This would make things easier as I would only need one seam running along the back of the tube from bottom to top.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Man I'm getting sick and tired of people building these wimpy little tube subs...... :B :rofl: :B :rofl:

Will I be able to stretch this an extra two inches to cover the height of the tube (the tubes are 72 inches tall)? This would make things easier as I would only need one seam running along the back of the tube from bottom to top.
                Yes it will stretch. Make sure you paint the tube black. Because stretching the material will spread out the weave and the tube may show through a little.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Man I'm getting sick and tired of people building these wimpy little tube subs...... :B :rofl: :B :rofl:
                  Thomas,
                  I beleive that you are atleast partly to blame for the craze.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• SteveCallas
                    • Aug 2005

I am trying to find a good material to cover them with. It seems that most of the people on this forum are using speaker cloth
                    If you have some spare time, check out a Joan Fabrics. I found a neoprene like material that is flat black, stretchy, won't deform, and is not see through, even when stretched. It hugs the sonotube very tight - I made the circumference of the sock 6" less than the tube circumference and the height the exact same as the tube. I tucked the ends in over the edges of the tube and then put the end caps in, holding it tightly in place. It was real cheap too, $3/yard.

You actually have ME happy :B I still can't get over the capability. How's that amp? Does it seem up to the task?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
                      Thomas,
                      I beleive that you are atleast partly to blame for the craze.
                      Oh guess so, in 2000 we did a pair of 24" diameter tube subs, 6' tall tube section with 10" diameter ports....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nichol1997
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                        If you have some spare time, check out a Joan Fabrics. I found a neoprene like material that is flat black, stretchy, won't deform, and is not see through, even when stretched. It hugs the sonotube very tight - I made the circumference of the sock 6" less than the tube circumference and the height the exact same as the tube. I tucked the ends in over the edges of the tube and then put the end caps in, holding it tightly in place. It was real cheap too, $3/yard.

You actually have ME happy :B I still can't get over the capability. How's that amp? Does it seem up to the task?
                        I was actually at a Joanns Superstore earlier today and I found some headliner material and speaker cloth there. The headliner material did not seem to be wide enough and it would be next to impossible to hide the seam. The speaker cloth was $9.99 a yard and I remembered that Parts Express had it for less so I didn't buy it. I could wait for it to go on sale at Joanns but the lady told me it was only 54" wide (that would require a seam around the middle of the tube). Thanks for letting me know about the neoprene, I will go back and look for it. How wide is this stuff? Do you have a seam around the circumference or do you have just one running from top to bottom in the back?

I am actually quite impressed with the amp it can really get the Avalaches moving. The only time that I have been able to make it really warm to the touch is when I was running the Avalanche in free-air. I actually came really close to frying the subwoofer because I could smell the voice coil getting hot. I immediately shut it off before any damage was done. I didn't think I was even close to running the subwoofer at its peak to peak displacement but apparently I was. Its funny, the cone doesn't seem to be moving that much more than a typical normal displacement woofer (something like a 10mm Xmax woofer). Anyway, my only complaint about the amp is the fan noise. In the near future I will be looking see if I can do the Panaflo fan mod to it.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                          • Aug 2005

How wide is this stuff? Do you have a seam around the circumference or do you have just one running from top to bottom in the back?
                          The typical width fabric is sold in - I'm not sure, maybe 3' across? I have two vertical seams (top to bottom) about 1' apart, I positioned the sub so that they are in the back. So in other words, I had a seamstress sew 3 long strips of material into one sock. She used a "double fold over seam" after I asked for an extremely heavy duty seam, and it came out very nice.

The only time that I have been able to make it really warm to the touch is when I was running the Avalanche in free-air. I actually came really close to frying the subwoofer because I could smell the voice coil getting hot
                          Hmm, well that's not good :roll:

Anyway, my only complaint about the amp is the fan noise. In the near future I will be looking see if I can do the Panaflo fan mod to it.
                          Assuming it really does put out 500 clean watts x 2 for that price, you're not allowed to complain :B Gonna be doing any in room FR measurements? And are they gonna be collocated or in seperate parts of the room? Oh, and please post more pictures - you've got me giddy like a school girl. My second enclosure is now taunting me, calling me a wimp.

Comment

• Nichol1997
                            • May 2006

The typical width fabric is sold in - I'm not sure, maybe 3' across? I have two vertical seams (top to bottom) about 1' apart, I positioned the sub so that they are in the back. So in other words, I had a seamstress sew 3 long strips of material into one sock. She used a "double fold over seam" after I asked for an extremely heavy duty seam, and it came out very nice.

Hmm, well that's not good :roll:

Assuming it really does put out 500 clean watts x 2 for that price, you're not allowed to complain :B Gonna be doing any in room FR measurements? And are they gonna be collocated or in seperate parts of the room? Oh, and please post more pictures - you've got me giddy like a school girl. My second enclosure is now taunting me, calling me a wimp.

I'm not complaining too much, I know it is an excellent price for the amount of power that it has. I've had it for 5 months now and it used to power my Rockford Fosgate Punch 15"s. The 15's are pictured below along with my Avalanches.

The JBL pictured is a GT1000 10" woofer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9718-1.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	846603

Name:	DSCN9712-1.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	846604

Name:	DSCN9713-1.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	846605

Name:	DSCN9723-1.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	846606
                            Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:41 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Nichol1997
                              • May 2006

Here are some more.

Name:	DSCN9345-1.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	846607

Name:	DSCN9725-1.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	846608

Name:	DSCN9733-1.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	846610

Name:	DSCN9735-1.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	846611

Name:	DSCN9736-1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	846612
                              Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Nichol1997
                                • May 2006

Yea Steve, you have to build the other before it gets too cold.

Name:	DSCN9749-1.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	846613

Name:	DSCN9750-1.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	846614
                                Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                  • Aug 2005

There's no more cutting or anything like that to do, just assembly. I just don't have a good place to put the second one in the main room unless I get rid of a dining table :roll: The second I get a house though, all three will be up and running in no time.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                    • Dec 2005

Nichol1997, that's insane man!!! WOW! ;x( :T

are you using a 24" sono or 28" or what?
                                    My simple HT setup
                                    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ssabripo
                                      • Dec 2005

this is interesting.

I was just playing around with the different tuning points of this avalanche 18" sonotube design, and looking at what the effects are in moving the tuning points around from 12-14.4 hz, in terms of F3, group delay, port velocity, and cone displacement.

green = 12 hz
                                      Yellow = 13.4hz
                                      Cyan = 14.4hz
                                      all are in a 72x28" tube, with appropriate variable 8" ports (ie, the 13.4 tune has a 24" length port of 8")

Red = 13.4 hz on a smaller sonotube (68x22) for sh1ts and giggles to see what the smaller volume would do.

Image not available

couple of interesting things, which I would love to hear some feedback/opinions on:

1) the 13.4hz on this volume, seems to be the optimal center point in terms of FR......also, the F3 is at 15.89 at this point
                                      2) however, moving to a 12hz tune, for example, has a slight drop in dB between 14-40hz, but lowers vent velocity, and more importantly, moves the Xmax Cone displacement lower into single digits.......
                                      3)the F3 of the 12hz increases to 20hz, but how much of an issue this becomes is debatable.... :scratchhead:

anyways...just some conversation.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:49 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                                      My simple HT setup
                                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Nichol1997
                                        • May 2006

The tubes are 28" in diameter. I think all of the simulations that you ran are very close to each other and I would guess that no one could hear or feel the difference. The other thing to consider is the T/S parameters that you used could be slightly different from the actual subwoofer. I didn't personally measure mine before I designed the enclosure but I know that there are a lot of people who do measure them before any designing takes place.

I watched War of the Worlds over the weekend and all I can say is damn! This things are house wreckers, I already have a drywall seam that is starting to show itself.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                          • Aug 2005

This things are house wreckers, I already have a drywall seam that is starting to show itself.
                                          :B :T

Comment

• ssabripo
                                            • Dec 2005

and so it begins...............

Images not available

The Two Towers have begun........two subs to rule them all!

ok, ok...enough of the corny stuff...LOL
                                            Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:50 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                            My simple HT setup
                                            4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ssabripo
                                              • Dec 2005

Mother of GOD, these things are freaking HUGE!!!

pics speak louder than words!

on the truck.....the itsy bitsy tiny little sono beside it is an 8" sonotube ladies, just to give you and idea!

Image not available

loaded on the truck...now THAT's a sight:

Image not available

I think I'm gonna be short about an inch on each tube because the ends are a little roughed up, so I'll probably have to trim them a little..... yup, that'll buff right up, hehehehe:

Image not available

One of the towers is large enough to gobble me up and then some! christ, I can fit Chuck's sono in here and it wont even be a light snack!!!!

Image not available

well, tubes are here, Chuck will probably cut this sucker down into 2 tonite, or his wife is gonna kick my skinny @ss for bringing such beastiality to her house!! But the parts are in place and ready to roll.

as my main man Gandolph says, "Things have been set in motion, and cannot be stopped...."
                                              Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:51 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                              My simple HT setup
                                              4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ssabripo
                                                Mother of GOD, these things are freaking HUGE!!!
                                                Suck it up and quit complaining. Sheashhh!

- Ryan

Comment

• JonW
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Sherv-

Those look excellent. :T

Yeah, the ends of mine were also banged up pretty good. I had to trim them down some. Actually, I first had to mark a straight line across each end and then trim them down.

And don't worry about the size. They will look MUCH bigger once they are inside your room.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                                                    And don't worry about the size. They will look MUCH bigger once they are inside your room.
                                                    And that is the rub. They are in MY room at the present time. These are not going to have a very high WAF factor! :E

Chuck

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                      • Aug 2005

You gotta love it.

Comment

• JonW
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                        And that is the rub. They are in MY room at the present time. These are not going to have a very high WAF factor! :E
                                                        I see. On the plus side, the WAF of your smaller sub just increased.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Oh yes it did! ssabripo just came over and I cut the tube into 2 pieces 6 foot long each. Then we took pictures of sab, myself, and Debbie standing in a forest of tube. She figures that when he takes them home it will cost about 2 carats just to get in the door with them. He should post pictures shortly.

Chuck

Comment

• ---k---
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                            Oh yes it did! ssabripo just came over and I cut the tube into 2 pieces 6 foot long each. Then we took pictures of sab, myself, and Debbie standing in a forest of tube. She figures that when he takes them home it will cost about 2 carats just to get in the door with them. He should post pictures shortly.

Chuck
                                                            2 carats??? 8O

Wow!

I guess I got lucky, Dualzilla only cost me 1/2 carat.
                                                            - Ryan

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                              • Dec 2005

yeah yeah yeah....laugh it up fellas.....ha....ha....ha...

it aint you guys who is gonna end up in selling a private part to buy some expensive tiffany's Jewelry so that the wifey will keep not only my subs in the house, but my cojones intact. ops: :

i had to go to back to work, and I'm just leaving to go home, so I'll post the pics tomorrow...

but yes, the first cut has been made, and the game has officially begun! :W

ps- If Debbie, who is pretty level headed and understanding, had that impression when she saw these things, I'm in for a royal uphill battle my friends! My work is cut out for me 8O
                                                              My simple HT setup
                                                              4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                • Dec 2005

Well, the first cut is done....step 1 of 8457023

Here is the Chuckster's old butt with the twins:

Image not available

Here is my scrony butt with them....I wasn't as cheerful as Chuck, because I'm the one who has to figure out a way to get this monsters into the house and keep the wife from cutting my nutsack off:

Image not available

here is Debbie, after Chuck told her repeatedly to smile....talk about a forced smile ...Now mind you, she is a pretty cool and open individual and she was just reacting to seeing those things in her garage! God help my nuts when the wife gets a hold of me! *Gulp*

Image not available
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:52 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                                                My simple HT setup
                                                                4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• JonW
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

I'm really enjoying this.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2005

If you think it's bad now, you should see how menacing it becomes when it's raised on 8" legs :twisted: Seriously though, and I'm not joking, after a couple weeks, you'll barely notice it's there.

Should we start taking side bets on if he'll actually be able to see this all the way through as originally intended? :B

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ssabripo
                                                                      Now mind you, she is a pretty cool and open individual and she was just reacting to seeing those things in her garage! God help my nuts when the wife gets a hold of me! *Gulp*
                                                                      Lets get this clear here. The GARAGE is the one place in the house that is MINE, all MINE!

Originally posted by JonW
                                                                      I'm really enjoying this.
                                                                      If you're good, I'll let you see it in person. :T

If you think it's bad now, you should see how menacing it becomes when it's raised on 8" legs Seriously though, and I'm not joking, after a couple weeks, you'll barely notice it's there.

Should we start taking side bets on if he'll actually be able to see this all the way through as originally intended?
                                                                      Oh, they will be noticed. OTOH, guess where they are living for a while? And guess where they will be when sabs wife says "NO, not in my house!". :E

Chuck

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2005

You shoulda grabbed those other two Avalanche 18s Chuck....combined with Sherv's, that woulda given you four

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                          • 5204

Chuck,
                                                                          You might as well get out the calculator and start figuring out what the rent will be for Sherv to live in your garage for the next year or so. :B
                                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 1360

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                                            Chuck,
                                                                            You might as well get out the calculator and start figuring out what the rent will be for Sherv to live in your garage for the next year or so. :B
                                                                            Note to self: Listen to Nancy Reagan "Just Say No".

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 336

If I'm going down, I'm bringing a whole lot of you down with me! :nutkick:

and by God, the Elite + the twins+ the Cinenova, and I, will find a shack somewhere to live, I guaradamntee you! :lol:

Chuck is not out of the woods either.....muahahahha.....MUAHAHAHAHHA....MUAHAHAHAHHA :twisted: :twisted:
                                                                              My simple HT setup
                                                                              4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2005
                                                                                • 336

Spent most of this morning doing the first wood cuts with 'ol Chuck.....got the manual heavy cuts done!

5 sheets of 3/4" MDF wood, cut into 3 parts per....15 pieces total = HEAVY! Home Depot is now $118.27 happier:

Image not available

Making the first cut....the money cut!

Image not available

6 cuts of ~ 32" for the outer plates...viola! oh, and that cost us one router bit!!

Image not available

another 8 cuts of exactly 27" and 13/16", for the inside boards....these were the real money cuts!

Image not available

sawdust everywhere (even in my wallet and phone, which were inside my pant's pockets...LOL), but at least we got the grunt work done. Time to start gluing, and then cutting out the port and driver cutouts.

oh, and Happy new year everyone!!!
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:53 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                                                                My simple HT setup
                                                                                4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2002
                                                                                  • 3798

Heck Sherv, those tubes are big enough to make yourself a nice 'cardboard condo' when the wife kicks you out.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2005
                                                                                    • 336

indeed! :lol:
                                                                                    My simple HT setup
                                                                                    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Nichol1997
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 49

I finally finished them last week. I could not find any material from the fabric store that I was happy with so I bought some full-size bed sheets from Target. They turned out well, I only have one vertical seam on the back side with velcro holding it in place. I also received my Behringer EP2500 and did the fan modification to it. Swapping the fans made a huge difference in fan noise, I can't even tell that amp is "On" now just by listening.

Name:	DSCN9821.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	847027
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 05 August 2023, 20:43 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2005
                                                                                        • 336

looking good Nichol....nice job man. a couple of more weeks, and I'll be there too
                                                                                        My simple HT setup
                                                                                        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• kingpin
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                                          • 958

Originally posted by Nichol1997
                                                                                          I finally finished them last week. I could not find any material from the fabric store that I was happy with so I bought some full-size bed sheets from Target. They turned out well, I only have one vertical seam on the back side with velcro holding it in place. I also received my Behringer EP2500 and did the fan modification to it. Swapping the fans made a huge difference in fan noise, I can't even tell that amp is "On" now just by listening.
                                                                                          Which fan did you use in the fan mod?
                                                                                          Please.

thanks
                                                                                          mike
                                                                                          Call me "MIKE"
                                                                                          "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                                                                                          "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                                                                                          CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                                                                                          CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                                                                                          "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                                                                                          Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                                            • 5204

Nichol,
                                                                                            Those look great.
                                                                                            Though, in that photo, they don't seem as big as Steve's and Jon's. So, how do they sound?

Kingpin,
                                                                                            I've also modded my EP2500 by swapping out the fan. I can't give you the model number right now, but there is a thread here by Chuck (Chas98) where he talks about modding the EP2500. In that thread, Dennis (I think) posted a link to a Panasonic 24v fan at Digikey. That is the one I used.
                                                                                            - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"